Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 20th, 2008, 02:09 PM
-

Meniscus Surgery

As some of you know, Chase had meniscus surgery on Oct. 14 and the vet removed 40% of his meniscus. :sad: Last night when I took him out to pee I heard his knee "clicking" but this morning it is fine.

Has anyone here had this happen before? Or any opinions/suggestions?
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Live well, laugh often

This post was from Dr. Lee when someone was asking about a puppy with clicking noises. Don't know if it helps you .

Quote:
While clicking can be associated with dysplasial disorders (dysplasia meaning congenital malformation) it can also occur for benign reasons. With that said, the clicking sound is usually from the bones and thus cartilage in between knocking together. If the cartilage is impacting, then there is likely some degree of inflammation. In any event the following supplements (often can be found together) would be helpful in both repairing any cartilage damage, reduce inflammation and reduce any potential pain: chondroitin, glucosamine, MSM, omega 3 fatty acids (especially EPA Eicosapentanoic acid). One of favorite forms of this is Synovi G3 by DVM pharmaceuticals. Like your vet said, clicking is de facto abnormal and should be watched. Radiographic evaluation should be considered.
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM
-

Thanks Teri.

Chase has been on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplements for some time now and is currently taking metacam for the rest of the week.

I was just wondering if it is normal for his knee that just had the surgery last Tuesday to be making clicking sounds again.
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww, I hope it's nothing. My knee clicks like crazy sometimes, pehaps his knee is just finding it's groove again?

Feel better Chase.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It might just be residual inflammation/swelling from the surgery, rainbow. Will he let you put a cold pack on the knee? It might help bring down some of the inflammation, but he'll likely not let you do it--we have a heck of a time trying to get our guys agree to a cold pack. Might be worth a try. though.

How is the incision looking?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Live well, laugh often

I would also guess that the actual surgery probably depletes the necessary fluids and it might take a few weeks to rebuild them back up. How is he feeling these days?
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:12 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It might just be residual inflammation/swelling from the surgery, rainbow. Will he let you put a cold pack on the knee? It might help bring down some of the inflammation, but he'll likely not let you do it--we have a heck of a time trying to get our guys agree to a cold pack. Might be worth a try. though.

How is the incision looking?
Nope...Chase will not tolerate an icepack but there's not much inflammation anymore and the incision looks okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I would also guess that the actual surgery probably depletes the necessary fluids and it might take a few weeks to rebuild them back up. How is he feeling these days?
I just read something a little earlier today about the synovial fluid being depleted. I am going to increase his glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplements for now.

As far as "how is he feeling".....he thinks he should be allowed to run, chase the kitties and climb up on the couch right now.
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:14 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
Awww, I hope it's nothing. My knee clicks like crazy sometimes, pehaps his knee is just finding it's groove again?

Feel better Chase.

Thanks Stacer
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:20 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
As far as "how is he feeling".....he thinks he should be allowed to run, chase the kitties and climb up on the couch right now.
You need to line up baskets of laundry on the couch so he can't get on it .

Although, if he rests well on the couch it might not be that bad of an idea to let him on it .

I would be giving minimum 1500gr of Glucosamine right now if I were you.
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:35 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
You need to line up baskets of laundry on the couch so he can't get on it .

Although, if he rests well on the couch it might not be that bad of an idea to let him on it .

I would be giving minimum 1500gr of Glucosamine right now if I were you.

We lift the cushions up so he can't get on. He is allowed out of his cage now so I no longer have to sleep on the airbed. Chase is barricaded in the living room and I'm on the couch until hubby gets up which is about 3am give or take. Chase has his doggy pillow with an old comforter on top beside the couch.

I just upped his glucosamine to 2000mg.
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:53 AM

Found this:

Quote:
from http://www.lab-retriever.net/board/s...-t7294556.html
Putting your dog on an oral hyaluronic acid (HA) like Trixsyn or Lubrisyn (brand names) will help him with arthritis
and this from the same thread:

Quote:
Max also has clicking in his repaired knee. The vet tooks x-rays and the suture was still in place. She believes the clicking is from the scar tissue surrounding the suture as well as arthitis. Not sure of any non-drug suggestions for arthritis. Just try to keep the muscle strong around the knee and don't overdo the exercise.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:07 AM
-

Thanks Growler.

I know about hyaluronic acid from reading the dogaware website. I'm looking into a supplement right now (just waiting for an email reply) called Maori Miracle as it's available in Canada.

Also, if we had the extra $$$ right now I'd be getting the Cartrophen shots for sure too.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I'm sorry that Chase has had to go through another surgery! The clicking noise is the bones hitting each other - Hazel's knee 'clicked' all the time before her surgery. I hope the increase in the g/c helps. Do you use the supplement with MSM in it too? According to the research I've done, the addition of MSM is very helpful.

I hope Chase feels better soon!
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
-

Kandy, I just noticed your reply now.

Yes, the supplement that Chase gets does include MSM. The ortho surgeon also recommended using green lipped mussel and, of course, suggested the Medi-Cal presciption diet that includes it.

I did a search on green lipped mussel and it sounded like it was worth a try so this is what I just started adding to Chase's glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement ......

http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?ac...l&item_id=3875