Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Damien's new home.

Words cannot describe the sadness i feel,i found a german shepherd rescue sat.she had no more room but heard what i said on her voicemail,so she called and said if i would take him in sun to get neutered for 35.00 she had another gs there that needed to be p/u,if i would pick up both of them cause she lives really far from phx and bring them to her place she would take Damien also.Three people that called me back had no room for another dog,but they had nothing but great things to say about her,god i miss him sooooooooooooooooooo much,everything reminds me of him.So i went out there great lady lives on a ranch in carefree arizona,has horses and about 8 german shepherds one that is her own it was so funny her dog came out and let damien know right away she is the top dog,i called her later that night she said there is another 4 month old there damien ate his food,thats my boy,then she said they were she thought really getting inot a dog fight and they both realized it and both backed off,called her this morning she said they are best buds now..I thought everything over and could of lived with teh food aggression,but him living in an apt just wasnt fair for him,dont think i have ever cried so much in my life,he is my boy,there will never be anything that could replace him,crying now gotta go,at work...
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh Heidi! That's one of the best ways that your story could have turned out!!! Damien will be so happy with all that space and some new buddies to play with!!! Congratualtions, you did the best thing for Damien. It's gotta be really hard. I remember when my parents had a farm and they had a dog there. They decided to sell and move back to the city, the pooch stayed, it would have been unfair to take him being that he was so accustomed to freedom then to be in a city.... That was REALLY hard, but in your heart you know it's best!! (hugs)
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sad for you. Just remember he'll get good care, lots of playtime, pampering, and treats with his new home. I'm sure he'll miss you plenty, but he'll most likely get over it. And I'm sure you will to.
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Good for your, I know that you loved your dog and by doing that no one should doubt or say anything any differant. You will never forget him and I know that but now he has room to run and friends to play with and to help him. It sounds like you found a really good home for him and I am proud of you! It is hard but it will get easier just remeber you did what you thought was best for you and your GSD. That shows you are a good pet owner! I am sorry that you are having a hard time, I am sure that he misses you but I am also sure that he is happy there and would not trade it for nothing. Good luck to you!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

g s

I just cant stop crying,he is having fun i call her 2 x a day...And she said they do serious backround checks on potential people,and i am gonna go over there this sat. and help her bathe all the dogs and give them all frontline treatment,when i got there sun she gave me a glass of wine and we sat and talked for about an hour she said he is a beautiful dog,and very well behaved that i did a great job with him,and i can come see him whenever i want,she said when he gets adopted they the owners might let me see him but she cant guarntee that,so sat i am gonna take about 50 pics of him.She also saif they go the persons houde call their vet,so that is good..Do you guys think he is ok??? by that i mean mentally he will get over this right???
Old June 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

He will be fine, I promise he is loving being over there and running and playing and getting to be a puppy! He will be fine and with time you will too! Keep smiling you did the right thing!

Proud mommy to...
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I know deep down it was the right thing,but the sadness i feel is just to much... I will never get over this,no one could ever take his place.I will NEVER get a dog again it would never be the same now...........
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi,I think you did the right thing,hopefully he'll go to a good home,but it sounds like you looked at all the options.
I too believed that you loved him,but was just lacking in experience,just like I would be,should I get a dog.
I am glad you go and visit,if things were not ok,you would notice.
You'll miss him a lot,but in the long run,it will be better for you,once your life changes,you can give it another try.
Your apartment must seem empty right now,but there are a lot of other options and other pets you can get who do not mind being on their own.
So chin up girl,you did a good thing for Damien
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi I agree what about an animal that is okay to stay by itself while you are at work and you would not have to worry about being so big you might have to deal with a food aggression problem. I know the house is empty and having something there might help you. Even if it as little as a bird or something at least you would not have to come home to an empty house. You could get online and look up your options no matter what you decide make sure that you research it really well and see what you are getting into and what to except! Good luck, I am keeping you in my thoughts you did the right thing!

Proud mommy to...
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

SOOOOOOOOOOO empty,i feel empty,dont want to go home,he is not there,had to take his pics down at work,everyone keeps asking about him,and just brings tears,just like writing this is..I dont know if i can live with this decision,was looking at kittens,but it just wouldnt be the same,he was my pal,,
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Kittens are great friends as well I am not saying that a cat would replace him but it would help a little and just as you wanted him happy he would want you happy. Just think about it I hope you have a better night talk to you later. I am sorry!

Proud mommy to...
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

so sadddddd

Thanks,i just dont see the pain of this going away,it angers me that if i just had a backyard,i could of kept him.I would of lived with the food agression.I dont know when the missing him will stop,i dont want to talk to anyone here at work,cant think of anything to be happy about,he was what made me happy..
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

heidiho,it well get easier.Trust me...It would have been harder if he was older and had to give him up.

I still think of my Cujo...I had him for 13 years.And had to put him down.You want to talk about feeling lonely and crying...I was a wreck.And so was my daughter.They were the best of buds for 9 years...It does get easier.Yes,he was a GSD.... ....I still have his pic in a frame on the wall.....

You did the right thing.And I have never doubted your love for him.But he needed more.And at this point and time you couldn't give it to him.And I know you realized that too...
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I know it will someday,but til then i need to figure out a way to just block him from my thoughts,because i keep picturing me brush his teeth,him laying at the door when i get out of shower and everything else i love about him...
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I am so very glad you made this choice. Though you will miss him, you KNOW he is better where he is. He has more freedom and more stability.

Doing the right thing doesn't always feel right at the time, but give it a few days and you'll be sitting thinking about him having fun running around and then it will ease your pain.

I'm very very pleased at the decision you made. It was a very intelligent and mature one and you should be very happy you made a unselfish sacrifice!!

(hugs)

Old June 1st, 2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Putting the needs of another above our own is often what love is all about. You couldn't meet the needs of this young dog so congratulations on being unselfish enough to realize it.
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

heidiho- dont forget damien, always remember the good times and fun and love. i know it is hard but you have done the best thing for damien and yourself, and you should focus on that right now. and you can still go see him and keep an eye on him, you could be his aunty. i had to give up my chickens last year and i still miss them dearly, but i realised at the time they were not happy in their situation and i know i have done the best thing possible for them, they are now on a nice farm with lots of other chooks. i still miss them dearly but it is comforting to know i did the right thing for them and that it was best. it will get easier over time but it will never go away, if you love somethng you can never forget it. maybe you could become a volunteer at a rescue or similar to get you into a doggy world, you would have fun with new furry friends and learn alot for the future. i agree with the others, one day you might think about another pet that has less requirements, i tell you that my chooks were some of the best friends i ever had. gosh it sucks being a responsible adult sometimes but you are doing well and have done the right thing. i hate being a grown up some days. maybe you might need a few days off work to help you too, could you go and visit someone to get you out of the flat?. and make sure you treat yourself real nice, give yourself time and love and you will feel better one day. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING AND DONT FORGET THAT EVER, a big hug from us all, i am sending you some good energy thoughts. take it easy and take care
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Luba and all of you,part of me knows it was the right thing, a very small part of me,the other part thinks me loving him would of been enough to keep him happy..I am going there sat.to help her wash all of them and get pics of him,will be taking a thousand pics,i will be sure to put them on here.I know this is a dumb question but the other reason i am not dealing with this well is this..Is Damine confused???Does he wonder where he is and why he is not with me??? Is he sad at night??? I could go on and on with all that but that is what mainly is going through my head...
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I do know how hard it is heidi trust me! When I was much younger our family got a GSD we named him Bear and he was the most beautiful little boy. He was probably not even 8wks when we got him. I got very very attached to him, but fully knowing he was being recruited to police dog services it didn't make it any easier letting him go months later.

I missed him and wanted so badly to see him but I couldn't!! I cherished the time we had together....the last day we spent together playing in the leaves with him and Rusty my other dog. I took them for a walk and when I returned, they were here to pick him up. I cried almost hysterically. Begging to let me keep him. When they put him in the back of the car and I watched his face as they went down the street, peering through the window I felt a loss like I had never felt before. It did take time, but you'll get over it like I did!

You won't forget him, but you'll accept it and feel good about it in your heart
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

You guys are making me cry,i can only read a sentance at a time,then i have to go run in the bathroom so people at work dont bother me..But is he confused?????????? I know it was the right thing,but it is hard to deal with.I just hope he isnt sad or wondering why i am not around.......I was thinking maybe eventually getting a kitten,but i have to be honest [and i do love cats] there is no love like that you get from your dog..Oh my god, i gotta go..
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is Damine confused???Does he wonder where he is and why he is not with me???
He is only 5 months old. At that age, everything is just a new and exciting adventure for a puppy. An old dog might well grieve and pine for his owners, but puppies do not.

If you're lonely and hate coming home to an empty house, a couple of kitties would be a great idea. Two is best cause they won't be lonely all day with nothing to do.

You would be surprised at how much love and devotion you can get from a cat. I find the ones who were strays or dumped are the most loving of pets!
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:56 PM

I totally agree with Lucky Rescue on this! You should get a cat! It would also be a great way to give back to rescue organisations by rescuing an animal in return! I know here in Ottawa, cats are harder to place than dogs. I got my little Mackenzy from the Humane society, he was only a few months old when I got him, such a sweetie! He is just like a dog, follows me around everywhere, greets me at the door. He even hears my car coming in the driveway and goes to the window to make sure it's me! Mackenzy is not independant like most other cats, he never hides when something new comes up, he sticks around! You would love a cat, they're great. I'm wasn't a cat person before I got Mackenzy (I like cats, but I prefer dogs), and I am now...Well dog/cat person If you spend some time at a rescue shelter, get to know a cat that you could see yourself coming home to, then get it. It's the most rewarding thing to do, helping an animal that desperately needs a forever home

Good luck!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Lucky,2 cats would be wonderful....the devotion and love you get from cats,if you give them attention and love,is not much different from a dog,except brushing teeth might be a problem
My cats certainly prove it to me every day...and actually it's a myth that most cats are independant,they need just as much love and devotion as a dog and give it back tenfold.
Also,spending time with unwanted animals in shelters would give you more experience until the time comes when you are ready for another dog and maybe you can find a pair of cats or kittens needing a home together.
But don't forget,cats can live to be 18-20yrs old,it's a longterm comittment..
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

g s

Yeah,going to a shelter is a good idea,that is where i would get one form for sure..Well sat. i goning out there to help her with all the dogs,so i will get lots of pics of him and put em up here...Bye..
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:00 AM

Heidi, have you ever thought of volunteering at the place that has Damien? It sounds like they could use some help and this way you could always get your fill of licks and paws! Ask the lady on Saturday if you can make it a routine.

Heather
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

g s

Yeah i talked to her about that,i will be doing that on sats. she is an incredible person for what she does,and i will always help her with whatever she needs.Talked to her last night,she said Damien is a very good dog i did a great job with him,she also said if i just want her to board him for a month or so or just watch him during the week she would,she said that she can tell i really do love him and she would help anyway she could.But in the long run i am sure this will be the best for him..
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you did is best for him by letting her take him. I think that he will be better off in the long run. I think you should go over and help her so that you can still she him but than when it is time to go home leave him there. I think that a cat would be something that will help you take your mind off of him, NOT REPLACE him but to help so that you are not coming home to an empty house everyday. They are wonderful pets they will crawl on your lap and comfort you and they do not cost as much in my opinion. I could be wrong. They do not have to be taken outside and they are there if you need them. It will get easier with time I know that it does not look that way right now and I know that it is hard but it will get better. You will never forget him and no one execpts you to. There will always be a special place in your heart for him. I look forward to seeing pictures. (hugs) Sorry hang in there it gets better!

Proud mommy to...
Old June 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

Thanks,princess wow,i lost when i got home last night,had to take a pill to calm down...I cant wait to go see him sat.i will be taking tons of pics will put them on here monday..My apt just seems so different without him there when i get home ,it's so quiet..................