Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 11th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Best food for diarrhea

Hi,

My 9.5 week old pug was not eating the recommended kibble that was used for weaning by the breeder so after two days they recommended Caesar which she adored but is a non holistic brand. Her stools were originally solid but went back to being loose (when she stopped eating she developed diarrhea) so I saw the vet for a diagnosis. He said we would take a stool sample but that I should give her medi cal development food. This food has yielded the most liquidy stools yet ( I can see the corn filler) and I do not intend to use this product permanently. She is only 3 lbs so I may have to "fatten her up" on a wet food for now if this is what she enjoys.
My question is if the stool sample and possible blood tests (if she is unwell) come back negative this could be due to stress and the food she is eating.

What wet food is best for nutrution , growth and stable stool?

I tried some cooked chicken mixed in with a smidgen of Caesar dog food but
she rejected it and just want one consistent wet brand that appeals to her for now; she needs to put on some weight.
Old August 11th, 2010, 07:35 AM

Loose stools can be from a number of reasons. If you haven't had your puppy for long, my guess it's mainly an adjustment/stress issue.

I wouldn't switch the food around too much as you will only end up irritating the GI tract more and it will be a no win situation regardless of the food you try. Stick with one food you are most comfortable with - your puppy will eat when hungry. If you like, you can add some canned pumpkin (not pie filling, pure pumpkin) to help firm up his stools in the meantime.

Good luck!
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry your puppy isn't doing well right now. Have you tried just putting her on boiled rice and hamburger (boil the hamburger, it takes all the fat out)? Sometimes a very bland diet for a few days will help with the runs. Then slowly start mixing her kibble back in. Pick yourself a good holistic kibble that you will be comfortable using long term. I also wouldn't be mixing things around too much. It's very upsetting for the pups. And yes, canned pumpkin also helps. I give it to my lab daily as she has food allergies that cause runny stool frequently without the pumpkin.
Good luck.
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Sorry your puppy isn't doing well right now. Have you tried just putting her on boiled rice and hamburger (boil the hamburger, it takes all the fat out)? Sometimes a very bland diet for a few days will help with the runs. Then slowly start mixing her kibble back in.
We have a Malamute with Colitis. The boiled hamburger and rice works very well, if your pup will eat it. You should boil the hamburger, drain it and then boil again to get all the fat out. If there's fat left in it, it will cause her diaarhea and tummy upset to be worse. Give her a couple of spoons every 2-3
hours for 24 hours, then see how her tummy is doing. If she still isn't better continue for another 12 hours. She should be getting back to normal (if it's only due to stress/tummy upset). Then mix it with her regular food little by little until she's back to her regular diet.

If you're looking for a good quality canned, try Wellness. They have food for all life stages and use only human grade ingredients with no corn, wheat or soy. They also have a completely grain free line called Wellness Core.

good luck!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Get some pumpkin puree not pie filling just straight pumpkin and add about a tablespoon of it to the hamburger and rice mix. Pumpkin works for both constipation and diarrhea SorryI did not see Lokis post I also find Merrick to have a pretty good canned food
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog

Last edited by mastifflover; August 11th, 2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:25 PM

Great ideas

Firstly thanks for your support because the uncertainty involved in having a sick puppy really leaves you feeling vulnerable.
I Really hope that her current condition is a result of stress but again at 2.5lbs we must rule out the nasties.
Agree 100% - do not want to play around with several foods but do not want to feed her poor quality food during a significant growth period so I would like to make a choice of a good quality food and stick with it.

I would stick with the current food if I felt that she was adjusting well; will have to wait and see, but it is not a holistic brand and thus far it is producing liquidy stool.

I Like the rice and hamburger idea to stabilise her stomach. I Really wish had trusted my instincts and known about this a couple of days ago but the breeder suggested the Caesar food which ultimately she did eat.
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Normally, you would want to stick with what she was eating at the breeder's place for 2-4 weeks after bringing her home. That being said, if you're wanting to make the change now - then pick the food you want to feed longterm and give it a good month or two trial to see how it works out.

You can still supplement with the canned pumpkin to help things along (not too much though or you will end up with even looser stools!). You may also want to try some probiotics if her GI tract is already a bit irritated.

Are you looking to feed grain-free or grain-inclusive?
Old August 14th, 2010, 09:12 AM

No choice

Hi Loki,

I was unable to continue with what she was sent home with as she displayed complete disinterest in the kibble and refused to eat it. It actually seems difficult for her to grasp the kibble although there is seemingly nothing wrong with her mouth indicating her disinterest so she is on the vet medi- cal puppy development royal canine. I am interested at this point in something canned that is either with or without grain as long as it holistic.
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM

If you're looking for grain-inclusive I would suggest Canidae ALS, Merrick, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, or Innova.

For grain-free (which is what I would suggest - but again, what works best for your dog is what matters in the end) - there is Before Grain, Trippett, Taste of the Wild, Go!, Instinct, Canidae ALS (grain-free version), EVO.

There is lots to choose from but those are the high quality ones off the top of my head.

Good luck!
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:43 PM

great quality foods

Thanks. I had been recommended go natural by one source but know that Canidae is a high quality food and will look into your suggestions. Thanks for the information.