Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM

daschunds anyone?

hello wondering if any one has daschunds on this site. they are a wonderful breed. :love:

**If anyone if looking for a breeder of daschunds i know of two in my area.
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Let's see... in the last 3 weeks, 3 doxies have come in to rescue in montreal, 3 are kicking around out there waiting for relinquishment. How about going rescue instead of a breeder. There certainly is no shortage of doxies looking for homes out there.

No offense meant but please rescue first.
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:54 PM

We had a Dachsie, Topper.
He was the best dog in the universe.
You could just do absolutely anything to him. When I was a teenager I would put my scrunchies on his ears like they were pig tails and he would just walk around like that, not a care in the world!
When we would swim in our pool, if we would scream before we jumped in he would jump in after us, as if he was going to save us, LOL... but we had one of those foam plastic coated rafts and he loved to just hang out with us and float around in the pool with us.
I miss him so much. :sad: My boy.
He was 14 and just started moving slower, etc. Finally he started eating less and less and stuff. Finally when we knew that things were not looking good for him (old age)we actually were getting ready to have him put to sleep :sad: ... his little grey moosh :sad:
Anyhow the night before out appointment he died in my moms arms.
Gosh... I don't remember the last time I cried so hard.
There will NEVER be anothe Toppie.:sad:

But I must say not all daschsie's are like that.
About 8 months after Topper died my mom decided to get another one.
She found a breeder, meet the parents, waited for him to be born, then visited him several times until he was ready to leave his mom and sister.

Unfortunately Clancy has what we call in our family "Obnoxious Personality Disorder" He also is a submissive urinator (which has been a little fun when people we don't like come over and we "forget" to warn them), but submissive urinating to the extreme... I go to my mom's house everyday (she watched my kids) and I couldn't even look at him, talk to him... sometimes I would get my foot peed on for just breathing.
Ultimately my mother ended up having to find Clancy a home, because of him being like "sybil". She is caring for my elderly grandfather and Clancy has bit him several times. He has also bit my daughter several times (who is now afraid all dogs bite) He hurt my grandfather pretty badly.
He was not raised in an unfriendly enviroment. Lots of love, lots of attention, etc. He was set for life, but was Bi-polar.
Maybe Clancy is an exception to Daschunds.

No one will ever be like Topper!!!!:sad:

Enjoy your Dachsies, our time is over all to soon!!!
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:08 PM

In search of a daschund

I am looking to get a Daschund in Ottawa, but I'm not very educated on the pros and cons of getting it from an everyday person, or a rescue place or a kennel. Any advice would be great
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM

A good friend of mine, who I actually might be moving into a duplex with has two mini ones. She had another male but he has since passed. They are sooooooooooo sweet! I am just inlove with her little dapple girl. I'll have to get pictures of them next time I visit. People keep sending me this article on how they are the new "vicious" breed thinking I would appreciate it as they aren't saying pit bulls are but I hate when the media tries to dis a whole breed of dog! Her dogs have that same stable temperment my dogs do. So great with kids and everything really, although her little girl is a ratter! lol
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Freada, Before you adopt a Dachshund, whether from a Breeder or a Rescue, please make sure you fully understand the various temperaments of the little/big guys - and THE HEALTH PROBLEMS - mainly the Back and Neck. It would not hurt to have a discussion with your vet or the vet you will be using. I would also check out VetInsurance to determine if they still offer coverage for Dachshund Disc Disease and if so, sign up your pup immediately upon adoption. Remember, the disc disease can't be pre-existing. Surgery costs about $6,000 - $8,000 with no guarantees. I know this for certain - been there, done that twice. I LOVE the alpha minis - my last little guy was a Dapple.
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM

SnowDancer:Thank you very much for your advice. I will follow it I assure you
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Freada - Very pleased to hear this. I would start with your vet - if he/she has a few Dachshund patients you will get a very good idea of what to expect. Please do not let a breeder tell you that none of their dogs have ever experienced a back problem - this is impossible. Actually all Dachshunds will pretty much have calcified discs in this necks/backs, but not all will suffer a paralyzing event - you just never know. Best of luck.
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Molly's mama

I love Doxies!!! I hope my next dog will be a rescue weenie!!!
My in laws have a standard Doxie, I love him to death but he can be a bit of a devil. he is very attached to his family, and is VERY wary of new people, to the point where he will bite if he feels a new person walking in the door is a possible threat. I have heard that the breed in general is known for being a bit "snappy" but I still love them to bits! They are so smart, playful, and willing to please.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:20 PM

Dachshunds are great, but I second the warnings about their back problems. I think you have to be careful to prevent them jumping onto and off things like chairs and sofas - they may have no problems when they're puppies and have lots of energy, but if they put too much stress on their backs when they're younger they have more chance of developing problems in later life.

I walk a couple of dachshunds in New York and the male used to love jumping up onto the sofa and back down again. He had a couple of back episodes and then a few months ago his owner woke up to find his back legs completely paralyzed. He was dragging himself along by his front legs quite pathetically. They never got to the bottom of what caused it, but it took a couple of months of therapy to get his back legs working again. The vet told the owner to make sure he doesn't jump up onto anything from now on.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:17 PM

Other than degenerative or pre-existing back/neck problems, you need to watch what you feed them. They will eat anything in site. Our guy gets fed twice a day (1/3 cup of evo) and a selection of veggies and fruit. Most the doxies I see are overweight!
Old October 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM

My boyF and I have a Dachshund. His name is Archie. He is Bogart's best friend