Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM

Possibly dehydrated kitty?

A little back ground to begin with: I'm an engineering student who's recently moved back to college for her senior year. Back in May I adopted Jade from the local animal shelter with the intent that I would bring her back to school with me in the fall. Besides a slight respiratory infection that cleared up quickly she's been perfectly healthy.

Last Wednesday (27th of August) I left home with Jade in order to come back to school. It was a very long drive (9 hours) but Jaders and I made frequent stops for water and leg stretching and besides being ravenous when we were done (we arrived three hours after her usual dinner time) Jade seemed fine.

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday she's been just fine, eagerly exploring the new house and getting to know my new roommates who adore her as much as I do (they're spoiling her worse then I ever did too). Then, Sunday she started to get a little grumpy and lethargic. She's always been a little bit of a grumpy gus, but she bit me pretty hard when I scratched behind her ears while she was dozing. It didn't break skin or even leave a mark, but it still surprised me. I decided to blame the heat since we've moved into a house with no AC and it was very hot yesterday.

This morning she was a lot better. She woke me up (as usual) at six AM demanding breakfast and ate it happily. Later, at about noon, one of my roommates decided to give her a special treat of tuna. He asked permission first so I knew about it, and we had given her tuna the other day and she'd been just fine with it. However, this time about two hours after she'd devoured the tuna she threw it back up again. She'd never vomited before, but she is a long haired cat, so as I cleaned it up I looked for hairballs, but it was only tuna. I figured that the tuna had disagreed with her (it was a day old, but refrigerated over the night) and so I threw away what remained of the tuna and that was it.

I really started getting worried at about 7 o'clock when I looked up from my textbooks and realized that I hadn't been bothered about dinner yet. My kitty likes her feeding schedule to be breakfast at 6 AM and dinner at 6 PM and she bothers me relentlessly if I'm slow about it. As I fixed her dinner she didn't appear and when I found her sleeping under my bed and dragged her out she didn't even look at her food before going back into my bedroom and going to sleep under my desk. At this point I began to really worry (this cat has never refused a meal ever since I've gotten her). Since today's been another hot one outside I checked her nose, found it was bone dry, and really really began to worry.

I tried bringing her water dish to her in hopes that she would take a drink, but she seems disinterested. I also had a roommate go to the store and buy some precooked shrimp (her absolute favorite treat) which I defrosted in hopes that she would eat it and take in all the extra moisture, but she won't touch that either.

Then, a couple of minutes ago, she vomited again. There was nothing in the vomit this time, just a clear flem like substance.

I called the local vet and checked the internet and found that the emergency vet is in Marquette which is about two hours away from where I am. As much as I want to get her to the vet tonight, I don't think a four hour round trip would help matters much. I've also checked the house all over and can't find anything that she may have ingested to make her sick. We have no plants, none of the furniture or carpets look chewed on, and I called our landlord to make sure the house hadn't been fumigated or had mouse poison put down recently and he said that there hadn't been anything like that.

Since she started getting sick and grumpy around 2 when it started getting warm inside again I'm really worried about her being dehydrated. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get moisture into a cat when they refuse both food and water? And what about how to keep her cool? I know kitties have a higher body temperature then humans but I'm worried about her getting too hot. At this point I'm so close to desperate that my roommate's crazy and worried advice is starting to sound good. So does anyone have some good advice that doesn't involve shaving her or taking her into the shower with me? Because as much as I love her I don't want my face getting scratched off.

I'm definitely going to be taking her to the vet tomorrow, but still, any advice on what may help in the meantime would be MUCH appreciated.