Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 19th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

We're going to have such a chubby baby at this rate!!!

Our daughter has been eating so much! She is taking in 5, 9 ounce bottles of formula, and 2 bottles of other liquids a day, plus she is getting solids, twice a day. I am getting kind concerned over how much she has been eating. She is only 6 months old, and is taking in 63 ounces of fluids, to me that seems a bit much. So at her next appointment we have coing up soon, I am going to voice my concerns and see what the doctor says. Hubby said he is worried that she may be eating too much as well. I am trying to get her to take a little more solids, but she doesn't seem interested in anymore at this point. I just don't know if I am doing something wrong, or if she has a super high motablolism or what. She is such a tiny baby, only 10 pounds, and she eats like my friends baby did when he was 8 months old.
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:36 PM

As a mother of 5 I can say every baby eat different amounts of food a day.
Sometimes you just have to stick with it and try and get them to eat Food, Pablum, any type of solids you can.

Babies will sometimes spit out solid food if they think they will get formula, it is easier to digest, and they don't have to work to eat. Remember, with a bottle there is no work, all the baby does is lay back and drink. With food on the other hand they have to sit up and work to get the food down.

With my 2nd child I had to introduce solids at 2 mths (Pablum & fruit), she just thrived and it cut down on the formula she drank. I just slowly introduced more solids (1 new thing every 2 weeks) you want to wait a little bit before introducing something new just incase there is a allergy to the food you just started.
Try getting your daughter to take more solids and see if it makes a differance with her fluid intake.

Good Luck.
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

She's 10 pounds at 6 months?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
I am getting kind concerned over how much she has been eating. She is only 6 months old, and is taking in 63 ounces of fluids, to me that seems a bit much. She is such a tiny baby, only 10 pounds, and she eats like my friends baby did when he was 8 months old.
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I have been slowly getting her to take more solids. She will eat about 1.5 small jars mixed with about 2 teaspoons of cereal total in a day. Tomorrow, I think I am going to try 3 meals and see if she will accept it. I sure hope she does. She is 6 months now, and needs that kind of nutrition. She did take a little bit more than the usual at dinner time tonight though, so that is good.
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

yes, only 10 pounds, due to her condition, it is hard for her to gain weight, but the doctors said that she is growing well for what she has been through. Well, that is what she weighed at her last check up, which was right after surgery. now her heart doesn't work so hard, and she is gaining weight at the normal rate..... the doctors think she will be normal weight by the time she is one-two years old

I am going to see what our scale weighs her at now
Old June 19th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Ours weighs her at 10.2 pounds. Ours also is 2 pounds under what the scales say at the doctors office as well. So that would make her about 12.2 pounds there. So she has gained 2 pounds since her surgery. So that is good. We are getting up there. Before it would take her a month and a half to gain one pound!!!
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Senior Contributor

my Tyler is 21 lbs at 6 months old.

sure he is a big boy, but his doctor also said once he gets mobile, walking and running the weight will even out.

my 3 babies all gained very differently. Hope stayed steady on the growth charts, Issac was very slow to gain, still is

and ty is my little chubby bum.

Dont worry about the baby and weight she will probably plump up but as she gets walking it will even out
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 20th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Senior Contributor

oh and as for food, Tyler eats a half jars worth of food 3 times a day, and breastfeeds every 3 hours or so. so shes eating normally at least what I consider to be normal.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old June 20th, 2005, 07:59 AM

I would say to try giving her half a jar of fruit mixed accordingly with Pablum. whenever you feed her.
Do that every time she is hungry (try to anyway) she may not take it all every time, BUT you will probably notice a big differance in how much formula she is drinking.

My niece is 3 months now, and my sister-in-law says she anly takes about a tablespoon of pablum when she eats. I had here this weekend and managed to get her to take half a jar of fruit with her pablum. After she was done that, I gave her the bottle of formula and she only drank 2 onzs, before she slept the night through (10 Hrs).

I fyou can get more solids in her it will make a differance, you may find her a happier baby, (I'm not saying she isn't happy now) but some babies that are hungry every 2-4 hrs can be cranky. On solids (if there getting enough) lots of babies thrive and are happier because they feel full and content.
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

doubling the birthweight by the six month mark is good, but my kids were teeny and didn't quite do it--off by a bit--and also with surgeries and health issues, I wouldn't worry.

She's BEAUTIFUL and sounds like she's just going through a growth spurt. You can try to introduce a little more solids, but they tend to take what they need. At the six month mark, they build alot of bone mass, so she needs that calcium. I think some even switch formulas at this time to a richer in calcium kind, no?
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Yes sometimes you can change their formula from (for example) Goodstart formula to Goodstart Follow up, I think it is good for 6 mths and up, but that is more for babies that are getting about half food/half formula.

If they are eating baby foor and getting formula then they will get all the calcuim and nutrition they need.
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

yeah 6 months is prime time for a growth spurt, Ty just finished a huge growing phase

all he did was eat eat eat.

felt like if i wasnt spoonfeeding him something then he was breastfeeding, but just since friday he evened out and hes back to 3 hours between breastfeeds and 3 meals of strained veggies a day

Eleni
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM

My kids are 1.5, 5, 6 ,7, and 9.

They still go through stages that they get growth spurts and eat like crazy.

They will soon be eating me out of house and home. HAHAHA
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear that it is probably just a groth spurt. I didn't even think of that. I am sure glad that you guys are here to talk to. So hard to get ahold of my mom, and sometimes I just have questions about this kind of stuff. For the first time in months, she woke up in the middle of the night wanting a bottle, lastnight! I am hoping it slows down here soon, because she has seemed cranky alot.

Is Pablum like cereal??? Sorry, I just have to ask, because I have never heard of it before.
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Yep, Pablum is a name brand. Same thing. My kids LOOVED the Nestle cereal, and I've heard wonderful things about "sobee" but never found it myself.

Maybe I'm saying it wrong, thus, looking for the wrong thing?
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

pro sobee is a brand of formula, never used it with my munchkins tho

i lvoe the nestle ceareals too, Ty especially loves the banana flavoured.

I found the heinz cereal stained his bibs and clothing

and the heinz cereal is always too thin or too think you can never find a happy medium, i find i can get the nestle to thin out better without turning it to water

Eleni
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

ditto on the heinz!! Can't handle that in the morning!!! ugh!
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:00 PM

There ya go, I used Heinz with all my kids.They are thriving.
I don't think any one is better for baby, I think it is your personal choice.

Pro Sobee is a soy base formula, for kids that are "lactose intolerant".

It is more expensive I think
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

K, the only brands we have are Gerber and Natures Goodness. I use Gerber for the cereal, and have a variety of jarred foods from both brands, being that they have different flavors, the other brand doesn't carry. Right now, she has tried carrots, peas, green beans, and ham and veggie dinner.
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:29 PM

What about Sweet Patotes, I know they were a big hit with my kids, Custard was too.
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Sweetpotatoes is what I was going to introduce next. I think she is more or less like hubby, and will hate her veggies......
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM

My kids now are TRYING to not eat their veggis. They were told they have no choice. They do have a few they like (niblet corn, carrots, and beans)
so we try and stay with those choices so there will be no fighting.

She may spit it out but just "keep scooping" HAHA.
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, that's what I have been doing. Sometimes I will be feeding her for 45 minutes, and only get a tablesoon down her, she is so stubborn.
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:04 PM

You could look at that 2 ways, it could be bad because you could butt heads in the future, OR she could be a very strong and independant young woman that will not follow, but will be a leader.

I know I have a mini leader now, god help me she's only 7. HAHA

We all hope for the last one to be are kids don't we!
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, if she turns out to be like her daddy, She will go very far in life. He has been independant since he was 16 or 17, and was living on his own. And he is very level headed. He doen't follow the crowdm but sets his own trend. So I am hoping that she does take after him!!! I mean, she is as stubborn as a bull, just like he is......
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:24 PM

We all have dreams for our kids, don't we!!!
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

That's for sure. I just hope she is more like her father, and have a good level head, in her teen age years, and not be like me and be a partier!!! Boy do I ever regret doing that stuff now.....