Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 18th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Honest Contributor

Smile how about food-switch updates?

would be nice to hear from those who have recently switched foods in the past month or so, either from one kibble to another, or moved to raw, or homecooked, or whatever! how are the dogs doing, what positive changes have you noticed, any negatives? are you satisfied with your choices so far? etc...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Performance Spaniels

In having 2 high protein foods in her diet the poop is nicer than ever... but now we have scratching.... I may cry cause I'm not sure I'll ever be happy with dog food again..
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM

We have switched from Pedigree Puppy, to Canidae. We switched a little too quickly, and had some pretty loose stool for a few days, but now everything is great. Sydney loves it. I got Jo some samples of the Felidae, she wants nothing to do with it. Special Kitty Gourmet is the only thing she will touch. I know it is not the best quality, but she is happy and healthy and she likes it.
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Sorry TD, your my mentor and all and I forgot to email you back bout how things are going.

Well........... Things are going great!!!!!
Kita is NUTS for her chicken, and I think im doing something right cause her poop is normal, she didnt have any side effects or "detox" so far She is eating her food slowly and chewing well ( she was crazy supervised the first few meals )

Puppy likes the idea of raw food, he was gulping a bit for the first two meals but has slowed down now. He had one day of explosive diarrhea but that was it. He has no interest in any kibble like food now ( treats and so on)

Meik, things were a bit rougher at first. He took his chicken and buried it the next meal he ate fine but vomited shortly there after ( and then we all know what he did after that ) the same day he had runny poop as well.

However last nites dinner he enjoyed and have not seen any vomit or runs Maybe he is adjusting better now.

The cats really took a liking to Kitas chicken concoction I made the other night so i want to do some research on raw feeding cats too.

Im amazed by how cheap it actually is to feed them raw compared to feeding them comercial pet food. I went nuts with sales and their freezer is looking good!

Got some "guts" ( lungs, heart, liver ect..) from a recently slaughtered bull its waiting in the freezer a few days ( to be safe) and then we will see how the dogs handle beef.
Also have some moose and deer for them.
Perfect time of year to start this i have to say ( hunting and butchering)
I am yet to talk with the trapper in town about some of his meat. I know he did supply one guy in town with beavers for his dog ... for free!
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM

I'm still undecided about my doggies' food.
Old October 18th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Also have some moose and deer for them.
Perfect time of year to start this i have to say ( hunting and butchering)
I am yet to talk with the trapper in town about some of his meat. I know he did supply one guy in town with beavers for his dog ... for free!
oh girl, you are SO lucky! and i'm very happy that things are going well for your crew!

dakotah's totally crazy for the Merricks Puppy Plate (dry), it's very unusual for him to still like a food after a couple of meals.. he dances for the stuff! am mixing with the EVO RM though... which he doesn't like very much. tough noogies! his poop is ok after a kibble meal but oh, the toxic farts we could do without... sigh. needless to say, after raw meals there is NO gas and very small hard poops.

Old October 18th, 2006, 10:37 PM
The demons' servant

Well the boys are on a mix still....part RAW and part tuna/canned food....

Its going well...I'm having trouble keeping enough food out for them...they are eating me out of house and home with this RAW thing...

Pawz is allergic to Chicken and Leo seems to be allergic to beef (at least the stuff from the grocery store anyway)....trying to find food that neither of them are allergic to from the grocery store has proven a bit of a challenge....trying to find organs is ALSO a pain....I have to go find a butcher and/or go visit the Farmer's Market that is barely ever open....lol

Megan
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Honest Contributor

megan... you gonna have some super-healthy kitties on your hand very soon, LOL! does this help? http://lepusreg.tripod.com/NRS.html just click on "ontario" on the left-hand side

Old October 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Agility Addict

Well I don't really qualify since I have been trying to switching Minnow over to better food for over 2 years now...she is starting to eat some Blue Buffalo instead of Royal Canin She's turned her nose up and virtually everything else (much to the happiness of the local "strays")

I wonder if I puree BARF or homecooked into a soup she will eat it? She's already turned her nose up at both but I never thought of blending it all together I just don't know what to do with the devil-Siam anymore!

I am glad to hear that it seems to be going okay with some of you!

MP - Cider's scratching again? Great to hear about the poops though

And Prin, why are you undecided? Jemma and Boo not doing well either?
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Performance Spaniels

Scratching her ears off her head and licking the heiny like there's no tomorrow... I didn't wanna thread jack I made one called 'here we go again' to deal with what I should be doing now..
Old October 19th, 2006, 12:20 AM

I haven't posted yet about switching my Maggie's food, but I read lots of threads on this board, and decided to try her on something better. She is allergic to corn, and was being fed Nature's Recipe lamb and rice from PetsMart before we got her, but she didn't seem to like it much when we tried it.

We switched her to Canidae, and she goes nuts for it. Heck, when I brought home the first bag and opened it, even the cat jumped up and took a kibble from me! Maggie didn't have any major intestinal issues. Well, the first couple of days, but that may have been the turkey neck I gave her at Thanksgiving - she loved it, but it might have not been a good idea to give it to her when she was just starting to switch foods...my bad Her poops now are firm and smaller, and she's stopped the scratching she was doing. Yay!

I'd like to thank all of the dog foodies on this site for all the great info. You guys rock!
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:34 AM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
megan... you gonna have some super-healthy kitties on your hand very soon, LOL! does this help? http://lepusreg.tripod.com/NRS.html just click on "ontario" on the left-hand side
*grumbles* I hope so....

and ummm yeah....all they seem to sell is chicken...or beef...ack...:sad: I"ll have to call them and get more details...

Thanky thanky

Megan
Old October 19th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Well Rosco is doing great on the Canidae Lamb meal & Rice formula. So I've decided to try somthing out and feed him Chicken . I assumed it was the chicken in the original Canidae formula that caused his scratching, but, Knock on wood, its been 3 days now of him getting a raw chicken neck with each meal and he hasnt scratched at all. If this keeps up for a few weeks, after the Canidea lamb meal is done I'll be going back to raw! Oh and his poo's have been great as well!

The cats absolutly love Evo! EVERY day at meal time, they all come running, crying at their dish for food. Havent had them do that in a while!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old October 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Mine have been on RAW for a few weeks now and they have never been better!! Both are totally doing awesome on it - good poops (with the occasional runny-ish one when we try a new meat), way better energy level (not that crazy kibble sugar high), shedding less, not licking or scratching at all, and sensitve ear infection doggie has clean ears! WOOHOOO!!!

Best of all .. I've never seen them sooo happy to eat! With kibble I had to mix in various treats just to get them to look in the bowl ... now the food IS the treat! So my skinny male is keeping weight on and my female actually looks like she's losing a few pounds. (which is okay - she could stand to lose about 5 lbs )

They just look really good with shiny coats like never before! Yes, I'm going to be the newest RAW promoter

I went to Maple Lodge Farms Factory Outlet in Brampton last week and got a ton of chicken. (More then I realized til we got home!!! LOL) I got chicken backs for 0.50 lb, improper cuts for 1.00 lb, whole mature chicken for 1.00 lb, legs with back attached for 1.00 lb and chicken livers for 0.45 lb!! All by the case, so needless to say I have a full freezer and can't really get much other meat in bulk until I either go through some of this or get another freezer!

So my suggestion to everybody is to try RAW because it's so great. It's easy, it's the same as or less money then a high quality kibble, you know what you're feeding and it's so much fun! I used to be afraid to try it and I am so glad I finally decided too ... I think my dogs are pretty glad about it too!!
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I switched from Eukanuba to Solid Gold for a short time and now to Orijen (higher protein, grainless kibble) for at least a month.

Both dogs really love this food.

One has a very sensitive tummy and she has had no stomach upset.

The other has unknown allergies and also seems to be doing well

I don't think they poop less though - I have heard that higher protein = less poop.
Old October 19th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Honest Contributor

so nice to hear about all the positive, happy changes! congrats to everyone! and for those still on the see-saw, don't give up - somewhere, a diet that is perfect for your furkid is lurking... just have to find it

Old October 19th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey TD! Petey got switched to Canidae about a month ago I believe it was and after a first few gassy days, he is doing GREAT! Maintaining his weight still and his fur is noticeably softer now. His coat doesn't seem shiner to me, but maybe it's just been gradual, and I haven't noticed.
But we started another training class last Saturday (just redoing the Advanced class as a refresher course since he loves them so much!). We walked into the ring, and my trainer hadn't seen him in a few months and was SHOCKED! She couldn't stop going on and on about how good he looked! I was so proud.

On a side note, I finally got his new leather collar and leash in the mail today!!! The one I ordered about two months ago off a link someone here provided for leather creations, lol! I'm still at work at the moment, but am itching to get home to try it on him! Yay!

Steph
Old October 21st, 2006, 03:59 PM

All three dogs have been on raw for quite a few months now and they are all doing awesome!

Beef doesn't agree with the girls so it's chicken with fruit and veggies.

I get the chicken and bone pre-ground from the pet store for $30.00 for 40lbs. It's all frozen in 5lb packages. Very convenient! I also throw in fruit and veggies that come in patties for every meal, and green tripe on those special occasions!

All the dogs are eating regularily now, so Im happy too!

Sarah
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM

My guys all switched to raw a few months ago,doing fantastic they love it.I wish I'd switched a long time ago.
Old October 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Honest Contributor

i had no idea we had so many raw-feeders on this forum

wow!! that is awesome

glad to hear all the good news, too

Old October 21st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by les
way better energy level (not that crazy kibble sugar high), shedding less,
Best of all .. I've never seen them sooo happy to eat!

now the food IS the treat!

They just look really good with shiny coats like never before! Yes, I'm going to be the newest RAW promoter

So my suggestion to everybody is to try RAW because it's so great. It's easy, it's the same as or less money then a high quality kibble, you know what you're feeding and it's so much fun! I used to be afraid to try it and I am so glad I finally decided too ... I think my dogs are pretty glad about it too!!

I had to do this to DITTO these parts!!! Especially that it is kinda fun!!!! Everyday is like a new adventure of whats gonna happen at dinner time
And I feel so much better bout it too! I know EXACTLY what they are eating and there is no UNPRONOUNCABLE ingredients, that i dont understand.
Old October 21st, 2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

hmmmmmm...... well lets see the dogs are on innova and the cats are on innova..... everyone is good and happy *there is an issue with braxton, but thats a nonfood related deal* but maggie came here a month ago, and she was vomitting garbage (literally) and had dandruffy gross skin and fur.... now she looks sleek like a panther!!! shiny and smooth, shes also up to an appropriate weight, she was only a few pounds when i found her and moe is as soft of a ball of cotton!!!!!!soooooo smoooth Logan has stopped shedding as much (it was to the point i was vacuuming everyday and there was sooo much fur it was clogging my vacuum cleaner.......
I :love: Innova
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:17 PM
Boss-lady!

Canidae and Felidae are going very well here. The cat had no digestive troubles at all, and the dogs were a little gassy for a couple of days.

The doggy dandruff has cleared up (still don't know where that came from all of a sudden!) and poop is great. however, canned tuna mixed in with Canidae reeks!!!!!!! The dogs loved it but we didn't care for the smell.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM

After Solid Gold changed formula, we changed food
Bilbo is on DVP venison and today I started to add EVO red meat to it.
His poop is nicer than ever, but I'm concerned about citric acid in DVP, so still searching for another option. He had gas first two weeks on DVP. Now it's better, but sometimes he eats grass or leaves and then vomits (not very often). We tried Merric, he loved it, but scratched himself more.
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM
ShaggyRudy

Hi T.Doll,
Well - my latest story about switching food is on the current thread called "Is he allergic?? Switching yet AGAIN... "
So far we're ok on Pinnacle - but I'm still looking for suggestions.

I just hate having to experiment so much and put my pup through all of this
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I just hate having to experiment so much and put my pup through all of this
yeah, i know what you mean... since every dog is different and there are sooo many diet choices out there... it seems to be a current theme nowadays... a fact of "modern life"?

not to push the raw diet but... it seems that it's the one choice that, if dogs & cats accept it willingly, seems to cut the running in circles down to a bare minimum

Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:27 PM

Yes, we also changed our girls foods when Solid Gold changed their formulas. They both have been on the Timberwolf Organics Lamb, Barley, & Apple formula for 6 days now; so far so good. I keep checking their ears and paws regularly for signs of an allergic reaction, but everything is going well. I do not suspect that they will have any adverse reactions since the food they were on previously with Solid Gold was also a Lamb & Barley formula. Their stools are about the same, just darker in color.

But, one thing I do not like about TO's foods is their packaging. Anyone else think that the material of the bags is really, really thin? I am comparing it to Solid Gold, Innova, or Evolve's packaging, for instance, as theirs are a real thick, heavy-duty, foil bag; I like that. Plus, those 3 brands vacuume pack their bags, and TO does not. If they tried, I think the bags would evaporate or something because they're so thin!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:03 PM

Well, I have to admit it at some point.... We switched Byron to Canidae All Life Stages.... After our brief stint at raw, we decided that, although we knew the benefits of such a diet, we also realized the benefits of a high quality dry food. And to be honest, we found that it upset Byron's tummy a lot less. On the Canidae, his coat has become super shiny and he is at an ideal weight for his age! We have just started to sloooowly add fish oil to his meal, since he suffers from dry skin. But still, every once in a while, we will add a bit of raw ground beef, or some chicken, anything we have at hand really, to his dry.

Sorry Techno...I know you provided a TON of support and advice when we switched Byron to raw.... Just wanted you to know that we really appreciated it!!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

update? It's all bad. Buster's poops are outta control....I think I'll go start a new thread about it

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry to hear that meb999