Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

HELP!!!My cat is using moms cats litterbox

Ok so my cat has her litter box in my room,has used it,and moms cats is in her room,well roxy just took a crap in honeys litter box..Any ideas why???Dont want her to start doing that..And the powder thing isnt working,maybe i didnt put enough on them.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I did not find the baby powder thing worked for me. As for the litter box thing, I would not worry about it unless your mom's cat has an issue with it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Any ideas why she would do that??Yeah they still were hissing at each other after the baby powder was put on...BUt honey has made progress since i got here she will at least come out of room when roxy is out,but thats about it,i just hope someday they will play together and stuff,but someone told me that might never happen,they might only get to a place where they tolerate each other...
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I guess Roxy didn't get the memo that she wasn't supposed to use the other litterbox. Silly gal.
Rule of thumb with multiple cats is one box per cat with one extra. Just seems to work better that way. Good thing I don't have a problem cause I would have a heck of a pile of boxes!!!
The baby powder thing takes a while to kick in. It isn't a magic elixer. The hissing will continue. Hopefully soon they will get to the point where they can tolerate each other even if they can never be firm friends.
The site I have included is one of my favourites for intruducing cats. It has tons of good information. Good luck.

http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Also feel bad cause it seems like roxy has or is trying to take over her house,and like just now my mom has her certain spot on couch where she lays,well when she got up roxy went over there and layed down and at first it seemed liek she wasnt gonna move,this is not the cat i knew,at my place she would run and hide if someone walked by the front door,.let alone come in my house....now she is like i dont know not shy
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

i wouldnt really worry that they use eachothers litterbox. i think its normal...just a toilet to them lol.

I follow the one extra litterbox per cat (so i have 3) and they both go in all of them. Even when I was first introducing them and bunduk had a little baby litterbox (so he could climb in it) my older cat would use it too if he got the chance.

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sounds like she is trying to exert her authority. Hopefully she will come around soon. It's been a big upheaval for her with the move and everything.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

My Messina does a bit of that " Diva ruling the house" thing...she tries it on me too...I just push through her without missing a beat to show my dominance...she seems to get the message and is still cuddly...it's kinda like how people try other people's limits...this of course doesn't work at breakfast time...I am at a disadvantage when she starts with her "get out of bed" routine cuz I am asleep! LoL!

What happens if you put them both in crates facing each other? Might be too late, but you never know...it they see both of them are in one, they might bond...I tried to keep my two facing each other when I brought them home and then some so they could see they were both going through the same thing...kind of a bonding thing...who knows...cats are wierd.

Have you tried playing with both of them at teh same time? Maybe with a laser or long string/rope...get them distracted...

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking the same thing rox is trying to take charge..I could try the crate thing.Almost bought laser toaday to,but rox was not into after awhile when i had one.but i guess i could try couldnt hurt.was just petting honey she let me for a minute then took a swat at me...cats are a trip,thats why i think they are the best,they r who they are.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have found that any cat will use any litterbox that is convenient to them when they have to "go". With multiple cats there should be multiple litter boxes in various places for the timid kitties to feel safe to go to the bathroom. I really wouldn't make too much out of it.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

OK as hard as this is gonna be,i keep hearing roxy needs to be locked up in her room for a week.wow i dont know how i will be able to do that to her.But even though its been a week i guess better late then never,cause honey is not happy at all still hissing at me.but god roxys room is so small.can i let her out at all????or is it 24/7....
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

this is gonna break my heart locking her up like this,will she be more confused since she has been allowed to roam already and now cant???
Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Now mom is getting upset cause her cat is swatting at her,and has never done that
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Heidi,I forget that you are not that experienced with cats
Like others have mentioned,there is no Roxys litter or Honeys litter,they'll use either one at their convenience.
The laying down on a sofa after a human made it nice and warm,all cats do that,at least all mine.
You get off your seat and undoubtedly there will be a kitty there when you return.
As for 2 dominant females loving each other,it might not happen,but that does not mean they cannot live together.
Chico has hated Vinnie from day one,while Rocky loves him,but there are no fights just the odd swipe if Vinnie passes to close
They can sleep side by side,as long as Vinnie does not move.

I think crating Roxy is a bad idea,but leaving her in your room ever now and then might not hurt,if things get too heated.
I know you are very emotional and you need to calm down,give them time to works things out,pressure from your mom also has an influence I am sure,you both need to calm down.IMORoxy will be fine,she's had a lot of stressing and cats hate changes
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok getting a little condused everywhere i read it sayc keep them seperate for a week,so we were gonna try that,cause honey doesnt seem to happy and does not come out of her room alot,but she will..So i have roxy in my room with door shut and was gonna try that out for a few days..do u say leave all doors open and let them do what they will do,thne if they strat going at it lock her up..
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Chico is right, you may have dominant females that may never get along. I have had Sweet Pea and Puddles in my house for 18 months and I still have to keep them separated, only coming together when we are there to supervise.

Here is what we do:
During the day, Puddles (original female 13 years old) is free to wonder the house, Sweet Pea is locked up in our bedroom with litterbox, food, water while we are at work.

During Evening and weekends: Both are free when we can watch them. Sweet Pea has a harness with string attached as she is the attacker (Puddles wouldn't hurt a fly) and we can grab her before she can get to Puddles.

At night: Puddles is locked up with us in the bedroom, food, water and litter box. Sweet Pea gets run of the house.

I have tried separating them for a week, then reintroducing slowly, but Puddles is terrified of Sweet Pea and hisses at her so it is an endless conflict.

Should add: If Sweet Pea is in an aggrevated mood and won't leave Puddles alone or does manage to get to Puddles, then Sweet Pea goes in the bedroom for time out (about an hour).

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Catlover2

L4H, oh dear, sounds like complicated arrangements to keep a happy household.

heidiho, Cats sort out their own relationships with each other. I've had many cats over the years, but only had serious spats between two---- neutered "Mookie", who'd been a pampered show cat and his half sister "Shadow". They used to play together as kittens and got along well, until "Shadow" had a litter of kittens. "Mookie" was retired from showing and was very jealous of the extra attention I gave "Shadow", and even after her kittens were weaned and sold he would attack her if I petted her. She was so afraid of "Mookie" that she would roll over and urinate, then "Mookie" would walk away! So I paid attention to "Shadow" out of "Mookie's" sight or hearing. Occasionally he would attack her even if I wasn't petting her, and I gave him a sharp verbal reprimand but I was able to distract him by playing or throwing a toy for the other cats, (at the time I had 5 cats) and then I would ignore "Mookie" so he wasn't getting attention=reward for his bad behaviour. I really believe it's best if "Roxy" and "Honey" work out their own relationship.

The exception I would make would be if the attacks are continuous and cause injury such as bite or puncture wound that necessitate trips to the vet to prevent infection, then I would consider rehoming one of the cats. That's my
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

catlover,I think rehoming one of the cats is out of the question in Heidis case,it would not be fair to either Roxy or Honey(the original cat in the house),.
Heidi loves Roxy and Heidis mom loves Honey.
I believe L4H has the right idea,but I also don't think leaving Roxy in a room alone will do her any harm,she can,like L4H says roam the house when someone is home to watch them.

I don't think Heidi mentioned an all out cat-fight,just hissing and swatting for now.
I kept my Vinnie in a room at night for a long time until I was sure everybody was happy.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
150% PRO S/N

L4H is right on with the best scenerio. I was going to say basically the same thing. Give one the run during the day, switch around at night. I know it is difficult. I have had up to 12 in the house at once. It can be a juggling act at times. You do what you have to to have a happy home.
A couple of things... Have you tried Rescue Remedy with them? I can't remember. Maybe you could try that for a while. Also Feliway may work. It's a little expensive but if it works it is worth it. Honey swatting at your mom is normal. She is expressing her displeasure at a new entity in the house.
The most important thing is watch YOUR stress level. Cats are extremely good at picking up on moods. If they know you are stressed they will react. Patience, slow and easy. No one is going anywhere any time soon. You have all the time in the world. If Roxy's world has to be made smaller for a while, so be it.
You do not need to re home either cat. If it ever got to the point where injuries were being caused on a regular basis then there are always meds. It will work out.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Catlover2

Rehoming would be a last resort if there is continuous vicious fighting and injuries. If it's just hissing and swatting, I would ignore the whole thing and not interfere or make special accommodations, and let Honey and Roxy figure out their relationship. Everyone has a different temperament, some people can tolerate juggling them from one room to another, but for others doing this would be stressful and worrisome that a door gets left open and one gets loose and goes after the other. Been there, done that!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, catlover it is a complicated arrangement, but I wouldn't have it any other way. When I adopted Sweet Pea she was peaceful towards Puddles, but just a month after adoption, one of Sweet Pea's kittens jumped on Puddles' chair, Puddles hissed, Sweet Pea attacked Puddles and it has been war since then.

I would never allow Puddles and Sweet Pea to "work out their own relationship", I think it would only make things worse.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah let me make that very clear roxy will NEVER get rehomed and neither will my moms cat..Ever...Roxy is gonna be in the room for a week,breakin my heart but i will give it a try.there has been no cat fight,just hissing and some growling from honey...yeah the feliway is like 40.00 and until i find a job just cant get that right now....Both r good cats just put into a situation neither asked for..Yeah my mom is pretty upset that her cat did that to her,and this isnt forever i am on ly staying here til my bills are paid off..Truthfully i cant really believe someone would mention rehoming..But i guess maybe i didnt make my whole situation clear...They have not attacked each other only hissed ans swatted then i stepped in between them so it couldnt go any fartehr.My other question is i have been going up to honey to try and get her used to me,do i just leave her alone(dont go to her and try and pet her)and let her decide
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
150% PRO S/N

heidiho - I understand your position completely. It's hard. But most of us here would never seriously consider you ever rehoming either cat. That, especially seeing as it's a temporary situation, is unthinkable. I have a few kitties who get into the occasional scuffle too. They just separate until feathers (fur) has settled. Next thing you know they will be cuddled together.
Cats are funny creatures. Sometimes you just have to let them take their time to get to know each other.

As for you and Honey. Best advice I have for you there is to let her come to you. In most cases it's the best thing to do with cats.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

They r for sure funny creatures,always have had cats,but never in a situation like this,i could hear roxy crying in the room,killing me,but seems to be the consensus to keep seperated for a week...I just think she is gonna think she is being punished now..cause first week she was allowed to roam...ahhhhhh!!!! Wish they would just fall in love with each other and be done..if it were that simple
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
150% PRO S/N

I think you have tried the baby powder thing. Have you tried exchanging the blankets they sleep on? That may help a little. Or rubbing a towel on one and then the other? I know listening to them cry is heartbreaking. You could alternate. If Honey is in your mom's bedroom quite a bit close the door over and let Roxy out to wander. Take turns doing that so neither cat feels punished. I know it's lots of work. Wish it could be easier.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

Let me just add a week is not a magic number. It takes as long as it takes. Maybe if you try the blanket exchange and it seems to be working you can try to have them in the same room again. If it is just hissing and growling that is going on that is perfectly normal. The only time I would worry is if there is fighting involved too. Then they most definitely need separated for a while.
But please know that the swatting at their humans is also normal. You just have to figure out how to read the signs and react to them by moving out of the way.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

14+ is right, you will very rarely find that 2 adults cats won't hiss or growl upon first meeting each other. Hissing can mean "stay away from me, please" rather than, "I want to fight you".

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Havent tried that yet,but i am gonna let roxy out in the evenings..I know everyone gets its here about their pets..But for the last 2 years straight i am all roxy has known and she also has been my rock.she would be at the door everyday when i would come home and it has always been me and her,,,
Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho View Post
Havent tried that yet,but i am gonna let roxy out in the evenings..I know everyone gets its here about their pets..But for the last 2 years straight i am all roxy has known and she also has been my rock.she would be at the door everyday when i would come home and it has always been me and her,,,
Sounds like a true soul mate

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I truly believe that,i live for her,she is the best thing(hate to say thing) that i have ever been blessed to have..So i just let her out of room and what does she go straight for honeys litterbox,why??????She has one in our room,so i picked her up put her in her litterbox and she did go..But why is the first thing she does when out of room is that??????