Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old December 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Talking definetely not a cat or dog..............

I hope this comes through. We looked out our side door yesterday and this is what we saw walking down the ditch on the other side of the road. It walked up our neighbours driveway after I took the picture and we lost sight of it. Very strange to see a fox during the daytime. It was around 11 AM. Sorry I couldn't get a closer shot. You can see it on the right side of the fogpatch.
Attached Images

Old December 29th, 2007, 12:21 PM
-

Cool ! There was one in the field behind my house once , he was running so I never had time to grab the cam. :sad:
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Papa D

i see one almost every day....in oakville....in a residential area....guess all the new sub-divisions run them out of thier homes:sad:
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Animal Lover

We had one come right up to our pool enclosure at the beach. We got some really good close ups of it. It was the first time I had ever seen one up close. We think it looked underweight and was probably smelling the McD's we had.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That is so sad. Wild animals are quickly running out of habitats. We have a bush around our property and are looking into planting blue spruce. Hubby planted lots of pines about 20 years ago. Long before I met him.
I can't see this one being out because of construction though. We live in the Greenbelt. No new construction allowed. Although someone about 3 km away from here took down about 4 or 5 acres of trees this past Sept/Oct. It's possible this guy is still displaced and looking.
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM
150% PRO S/N

Neat picture Brandynva! I wish I could have gotten closer with this one. I think the thinness is just part of being a fox. All the ones I have seen are on the thin side as well. Even in zoos where they get a regular diet.
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Animal Lover

I'm not sure about the OP, but where we were had a lot of wildland still left. However, there was quite a few new houses going up a few blocks away. This one looked young, so we were hoping she/he didn't get displaced from its family.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Neat picture Brandynva! I wish I could have gotten closer with this one. I think the thinness is just part of being a fox. All the ones I have seen are on the thin side as well. Even in zoos where they get a regular diet.
Ah! I am not that familiar with them at all. I guess they do tend to be lanky and lean animals.

-Anonymous
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:51 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson View Post
i see one almost every day....in oakville....in a residential area....guess all the new sub-divisions run them out of thier homes:sad:
Brandynva....this is the quote I was referring to. I just didn't type it fast enough to get it in under wd's comment before you had posted yours.
All good.
Old December 29th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Cute little face did you put out some food for it? No eh, you'd never get rid of it!

I've seen foxes out in the day time up in Northern Norway, far from houses and villages. One stopped at the side of the road and stared at the "big fox on wheels" that was dad's orange Mazda, lol. We looked at him, he looked at us, we took some pics, and he walked away. Not even scared. I say him, because it was a large animal, and pretty well fed too. Not fat, foxes don't seem to do excess bodyfat, but muscular and well filled out. It was in April, the sun was recently back in our lives, I'm guessing he had found some rabits or even luckier for him, a dead reindeer to snack on!

Many foxes now have adapted to rural life, living in garden sheds and abandonned buildings, rummaging through garbage cans at night. I saw a program from England a few years ago, I think it was Liverpool - they were overrun with foxes in one part of the city!
Old December 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Garden nut

Only time I ever saw a fox was while I was sitting in an airplane in Montreal that was waiting on the runway for it's turn and saw the fox running around. The poor thing... with all that airplane noise and stuff.

They are lovely creatures though. I think we should have more fox pics! hehe

Oh, not sure if anyone saw it... but PBS did a documentary about dogs. And there was a really interesting bit on evolution of the fox that people witnessed in Russia when they were breeding them for furs. A terrible way to find out, but it was still interesting.

The documentary was

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/dog/index.html

Maybe they will air that show again sometime.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; December 29th, 2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old December 29th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

For sure, next time I cross one's path I'll snap a photo
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I used to work the late shift in Eau Claire. It wasn't too uncommon to run across foxes on my walk home. They do quite well in suburban and even urban areas. Likely the one you saw, 14+ kitties, was on its way out to keep your neighborhood free of varmints They're great mousers!

They always look plump in winter, but it's all in the coat. Their winter fur is luscious! They lose it in spring and by comparison, they look scrawny all summer.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Likely the one you saw, 14+ kitties, was on its way out to keep your neighborhood free of varmints They're great mousers!
He better get started then cause there's lots of meeces around here!(Frenchy wouldn't like it much ) Living in the country like we do there is never a shortage. But he has to compete with stray cats, hawks, coyotes, owls...... you name it. This is the second one I have seen in the last couple of weeks which makes me wonder if they were displaced when that guy took down all of those trees a few months back.
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:20 PM
-

mice ? Even with all those kitties of yours ? I think you're spoiling them too much , they don't even work anymore

Brandy , cool pic, he's too cute. I hope you did not feed him McDonald
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:21 PM
-

Quote:
makes me wonder if they were displaced when that guy took down all of those trees a few months back.
Very probably.:sad: The one I saw behind my house was running , my BIL said he was probably looking for a wooded area because they don't like to be out in the open.
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

When I owned a rural store, we had a fox that did the mail with me. She followed me out to the mail boxes and sit no more than a foot from me. She would sit on the snow and watch us through the store window, during the day. We called her Red. Red would sit in a snow bank by the door at night and watch the customers come and go. We put dog food out for her and her favorite was wieners. I was lucky, I knew someone from the MNR and got a rabies vaccine snack for her. She was pretty, friendly and curious. She looked a little like this.....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else

Last edited by Shaykeija; December 29th, 2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:48 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
mice ? Even with all those kitties of yours ? I think you're spoiling them too much , they don't even work anymore

Now Frenchy... I said we had lots of mice but I didn't say they were stupid! They know enough to stay away from where the kitties are in their catuary. But with 19 acres there's lots of room for meeces to hide. We very seldom get them in the house. Our labx likes to hunt them too. She goes out in the fields and waits for them to pop up and then catches them and starts throwing them up in the air. I really think she wants to play with them, not kill them. She never eats them. Just plays with them till they die.
And my kitties spoiled??? Never!!
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

Brandy , cool pic, he's too cute. I hope you did not feed him McDonald
Oh no, no McD's for the foxy. We carefully cleaned up our trash and took it inside. S'all good.

-Anonymous
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
When I owned a rural store, we had a fox that did the mail with me. She followed me out to the mail boxes and sit no more than a foot from me. She would sit on the snow and watch us through the store window, during the day. We called her Red. Red would sit in a snow bank by the door at night and watch the customers come and go. We put dog food out for her and her favorite was wieners. I was lucky, I knew someone form the MNR and got a rabies snack for her. She was pretty, friendly and curious.

How lucky you were to have that happen!
And what a neat pic. I know it's not your Red but still, neat pic.
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM
~Cat Servent~

I saw my first 'live' fox on the way home from the in-laws on the 27th... any other time I've seen them, they've been 'taken' by the roads:sad:. He was just casually walking across one of the farms as we rumbled past... didn't have my camera but it sure was cute... and nice to see alive! I just loved the big fluffy tail.

I feel so bad for all the creatures being put out right now by all these crappy cookie cutter subdivisions... especially here... it's getting ridiculous, every inch of nature is being bulldozed for new homes. Or big box stores. I'd like to buy out in the country and have some land... that way I can give at least a few animals some refuge from 'progress'.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I feel so bad for all the creatures being put out right now by all these crappy cookie cutter subdivisions... especially here... it's getting ridiculous, every inch of nature is being bulldozed for new homes. Or big box stores. I'd like to buy out in the country and have some land... that way I can give at least a few animals some refuge from 'progress'.
Hey krdahmer...... there's a place just down the road from us. 25 acres or so, horse stables, barn, paddocks, pool, nice house. He only wants 3/4 of a mil. We could turn this whole block into a kitty haven!!
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He better get started then cause there's lots of meeces around here!(Frenchy wouldn't like it much ) Living in the country like we do there is never a shortage. But he has to compete with stray cats, hawks, coyotes, owls...... you name it. This is the second one I have seen in the last couple of weeks which makes me wonder if they were displaced when that guy took down all of those trees a few months back.
Meeces? Have you seen Goofy in the clock tower with Mickey maybe? LOL, fun cartoon, and he was sure there were meeces in that tower (actually, not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
When I owned a rural store, we had a fox that did the mail with me. She followed me out to the mail boxes and sit no more than a foot from me. She would sit on the snow and watch us through the store window, during the day. We called her Red. Red would sit in a snow bank by the door at night and watch the customers come and go. We put dog food out for her and her favorite was wieners. I was lucky, I knew someone from the MNR and got a rabies vaccine snack for her. She was pretty, friendly and curious. She looked a little like this.....

Ah, how sweeet! Maybe she had been a fox-puppy-pet at some point since she wasn't scared at all? I'd like to have that happen ...

Quote:
Hey krdahmer...... there's a place just down the road from us. 25 acres or so, horse stables, barn, paddocks, pool, nice house. He only wants 3/4 of a mil. We could turn this whole block into a kitty haven!!
Haven, or heaven? Then again, same thing! Kitties, doggies, wild life, an aviary with inside/outside flying options ... and tough, tough screening of anyone wanting to adopt anyone!