Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:48 AM

how do you watch EVERYONES kids??

I just spent my morning at the vets office, he needed to remove lollipop sticks from my Dobie's rectum... Doesn't that sound like a fun way to spend a Saturday morning??
As I'm positive that my kids (both in their teens) aren't the culprit. It has to be the little kids that share my rear fence line. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can approach the parents without sounding accusatory ("your little brats are putting food through my fence! They're gonna kill my dog!") I think that won't work Although, I'd like to let them know how expensive surgery for perforated bowels is (thank god we don't need that today!)
Well, anyway, just wanted to post..... so you can all be aware to keep your eye on the "other" side of your own fences..
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:27 AM
banned user

just want to ask, it is a chain link fence, or wooden fence?
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:32 AM
banned user

Maybe ask the kids first ("Hey kids, what kind of lollipop does my dog like best?"). You might be able to get an admission from them, and THEN go to their parents. I hope they at least pitch in on the vet bill.

When I first read your post, I was FUMING! I thought the kids had...inserted the sticks. Good thing I re-read that. Nothing like the good old EDIT button!

What were the symptoms, just out of curiosity?

Last edited by Cactus Flower; April 16th, 2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old April 16th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh that is awful. Poor baby. I hope the parents would help out on the vet bill as well. How did they get it out. I am with you Cactus Flower I thought you meant they had put it in there I was so upset. I hope your baby is doing okay. I would so go talk to the kids parents.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:27 PM

I would go to the parents and say, "Could you ask your kids to not disturb my dog through the fence? I noticed them the other day, and I thought you would want to know and you wouldn't want them teasing a Doberman."

Maybe you don't agree, but I like to play the breed card when I can. My doggies are never outside without me, so it won't come back and bite me in the a**. And they don't need to know that you didn't see.
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM

I would just go to them and say that someone has been giving your dog lollipops and ask them to please talk to their children about how it can hurt your dog and that he had to go to the doctor because of it. I personally would talk to the kids if I saw them outside, but then our neighbors' kids are at my house a lot playing with my kids so I am more able to talk to them.
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Owned by goldens

Lolipops and kids

Talk to the kids when you see them out there. Explain to them the dangers of feeding dogs things that are meant for people. Also, explain to them what you went through today and that your dog could have died.
I work with kids and it is rare to meet one who will deliberately harm an animal. They are compassionate but need to learn the dangers of their actions. A simple explanation should do it.
If of course that doesn't work, speak to the parents.
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Perhaps they didn't FEED them to your dog..maybe they eat them in their yard and toss the sticks...?? Maybe they didn't lure your dog at all but simply have a problem of littering?
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Speaking as a parent, I'd appreciate being told if my children were feeding your dog through the fence, or even just tossing their sticks over once they're done. If you speak with the children, they most likely won't take you very seriously - who the heck are you, after all? Are the parents reasonable people? Or are they the neighbors from heck?
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... I'm really sorry I wasnt' clear on what had happened... It appears they'd been 'sharing' their lollipops through the fence.. Anyone with a Dobie knows, sharing means "it's mine!" lol Anyway, to answer a couple of Q's I read here...
It is a 6 foot wooden privacy fence ( I will be making it even more private now!)
The symptoms where pretty obvious.... He had his morning meal and went out for his morning BM... he eliminated partly and then began scooting around the yard like he didn't know what the heck was going on.... When I caught him and checked (I figured it was maybe some string from his chew rope, or a hair because that happens occasionally and I just get some tissue and help him clear it) I was shocked to see white plastic sticking out of his butt! So, I gently tried to help him clear it...we managed to do that for 2 of the sticks he had in there, the next one seemed to be caught or something and it really seemed to be hurting him..... so that was what prompted the trip to the vet. The vet was really great and had a bit of a chuckle at my reference to the fact I thought I'd bought a Dobie, NOT a Labrador!! Anyway, my Dog is fine now and I've asked the kids to not 'share' with him anymore.... although I got the feeling they weren't interested in that anymore because he doesn't share, he TAKES...
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I too thought they had put it (er them!) there until I read further! Poor baby!

I am glad you talked to them and even if it not so altruistic of a reason, at least they may keep their lolipops to themselves now! I have found most children do not want to hurt animals - and are shocked when they discover something they did actually craeted a problem. I hope these are in that majority!