Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM

Burned paws...maybe?

I took my 4 Year old black lab on a hike today. He was fine the entire time kept him cool and all and try to give him water when he would take(is it weird he wouldn't drink when I was offering?) Anyways near the end of the hike there wasn't any grass and its mostly dirt(dry dirt) that was being hit by the sun all day. it was about 80 today. At the bottom of the hill he wouldn't get up.

Remembering he didn't drink a lot I put him in some water and gave him some water to drink. He cooled off but wouldn't get up. I carried him to the car(he weighs about 80lbs and it was a nice little hike) with the help of a friend and put him in the car.

I got home and thought maybe he was sore or pulled a muscle since we have been pretty inactive for the past few weeks because of multiple reasons(i know i should have made more time for walks.) then I went to rub his feet(he loves it) and he pulled away.

I looked at them and the front two seemed very tender and his back 2 had a flap of skin that came off. I cleaned the cuts and feed him. I carried him down stairs after he stood up a few times(which was a relief to me that his legs are fine) but wouldn't pee just layed there took him back up stairs and he stood again on the towels i had layed out for him. He then walked over and layed with me on my bed.

I think its just tender feet and all he needs is a few days rest and some healing. Has anyone experanced this before? I need some advice im calling the vet tomorrow to get a how to care for the feet and all, but having some peace of mind tonight would be great. Thanks.
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi welcome to pets.ca, sorry I have no advise for you but you are probably calling yoour vet niow anyways. Let us know how your dog isd doing and we would sure like to see a picture of him. patti
Old March 11th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Hi gsone.... OUCH !
Last year I happened to walk on our paved driveway with bare feet and it was sooooo hot. I wonder if when you wonder if the ground is too hot for your dog's pads, you could take off your sandals and put your foot on ground, or even your bare hand? I used to pay a walker for my dog while I was unwell and one day she was laughing because my dog was trying not to walk on the hot pavement..... that was the last time I had her walk my dog.
I am curious to know if dog's pads are tougher than our bare feet? Hope your dog is well soon - it's quite a worry especially when you don't know what is causing their discomfort... good luck
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:40 PM

He seems to be doing better. He has made attempts to walk he has walked to the elevator of my building 2 times now. I got some disinfectant and bandages and put them on his feet seems to help with him walking a bit.

It looks like a if you skinned your palm while trying to catch your self when falling. He has exposed sensitive skin from where the burns are. He looks silly with the bandages on all his feet with his dark fur.

Other than that he is happy and healthy no accidents from not being able to get out side(as of yet.) It's so scary to think that a day of fun turned into so much pain for him. I guess he needs something for his feet on those hot days because he loves the out doors and just going off on the trails.

I think by Monday he will be almost back to 100%.

Ill tell you one thing, my arms are killing me from carrying him haha.
Old March 11th, 2011, 08:48 PM

ah, glad to hear he is doing better - I don't know for sure, but I would think you would have to keep an eye on his not getting an infection in the broken skin.... I was just curious why his paws were hurt this time if he is used to going on these hikes; we have opposite problem right now - with freezing weather and our dog coming in with ice balls between her toes... so we really have to keep checking her when she has been outside.... however she seems to like the cold weather more than hot, with her fur coat!
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM

Yeah the heat yesterday in LA was pretty hot.