Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:06 AM

Kathryn, it was posted right above your post already..
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM

The chemical is called aminopterin. A Rat poison and I think it's banned here is the US. This was on the wheat imported from China.

Called my vet right away, he's in surgery.
Now that they know what it is maybe they can treat more effectively.

FLuffy's blood test are not so good. Her B.U.N., Creatine and Phosphorus levels are out of the normal acceptable range. The only thing her can do for her to lower the phosphorus level is a change in diet. The she needs retesting in 1 week.
Her hydration is good thank God, because we couldn't afford to due the IV thing for fluids, I see that it can cost up to $3000.00 at hospital for a week, money we don't have right now. (Petunia was beyond help) I'm praying for her to keep eating and drinking. She looks good on the outside, but the test show a different story!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM

Pet food recall

There will be news conference on MSN.com at one they will explain all there findings and other info. My vet will be waiting for this to be sure of the poison. We will then see if there is course of action
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:05 PM

thanks BLB...I've got Fox on, I'll switch over to Msn.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
-

Icy, fingers crossed and lots of good vibes coming for Fluffy.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
-

I think we will see the FDA numbers climb in the next week. And, it makes me mad that they always release important information on a Friday.

And, I'm also ticked off that Menu Foods, a Canadian company, has to import wheat from China.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:46 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I think we will see the FDA numbers climb in the next week. And, it makes me mad that they always release important information on a Friday.

And, I'm also ticked off that Menu Foods, a Canadian company, has to import wheat from China.
Me too .
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM

Thanks Rainbow. I just got off the phone with Iams to add Fluffy to the list and ask about the vet bills. I need to fax over all the info on Petunia/Fluffy and then within 10 days, Iam's vet will call me, then after that I should get a check, how long to receive it, I dont know.

Does that exclude me from the class action against MENU? I am in contact with the Chicago lawyer who has filed a suit and will ask him. If he says yes, then I will not join the suit, because I need money now, not in 2 years.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
-

I don't know anything about legal stuff. Is Iams reimbursing you just for the veterinary bills? Will you get more from a class action lawsuit? Good luck.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:53 PM

My conv with Iams was just about vet bills, I did not ask about more compensation.
I tried to research "Class action" and from what I see on the Internet, when they win, I see payoffs of actual losses $ or maybe just a little more in $.

This may be different in the Menu "class action" could be a lot of $ over and beyond vets bills. A judge or jury is going to be very sympathetic in this case. Don't you think? That could mean big $ in settlement.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:59 PM
-

I reall have no idea but it's worth checking out. Good luck.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Now,since China is involved,I suspect a class-action suit will take years.
Menu-food suing China,pet owners suing Menu-food etc...:sad:
Icy for Petunia
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM

Chico, I've already lost Petunia, exactly 1 week before recall announcement.. I started feeding him on 2/16 this special wet food (Iam's "select bites" pouches in recall) in my effort for him to gain some weight back that he lost in Nov due to a chin infection, which cleared up just fine.

I forgot all about the pouches I still had left. The day of recall is when I remembered and I went to check the numbers and they matched. It makes me crazy to think that I could have given this stuff to my 2 other cats, it's bad enough they ate Petunia's leftovers.

Petunia ate the poisen stuff and when he stopped eating (the last week he only licked the gravy), my other 2 cats finished up Petunia's leftovers.

Fluffy is the one who just went in for blood test, because 3 days ago she stopped eating and I found vomit, brought her right in to vet immediately. She is eating ok now,acting fine, but her blood tests results from yesterday show a kidney issue/problem. (Fluffy ate more leftovers then Destiny). So far no signs in Destiny.

note: my vet is in contact with the lab who made the poison discovery, told me to sit tight, they are figuring out how to treat the animals (FLuffy)who are still alive, but have been affected. I hope they come up with something!!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM

Geez....I just missed that news conference on Fox, as I was typing above post. I think it was the Menu Pres.

anyone else see it?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
The demons' servant

I just had a huge bloody post to write up and I lost it....bleh...stupid timeouts and I'm not on my home PC so I can't check off "remember me"....*kicks self for not copying and pasting*

Anyways my two boys are fine and so is Dart. I just learned about this today (haven't been watching the news or anything) and was rather worried when I found out.

We're feeding them all Whiskas and while it isn't the best food for them its not on the recall list either. I wish I could feed them better food but I'm still low on money. Hopefully I'm getting a job soon. Already sent off one resume and working on more. *cough* back on topic again...

I'm sorry for your loss Icy and I hope your other cat(s ?) get better soon.

Megan
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Icy,I am sorry I read Petunia/Fluffy as one cat...:sad:

I too have 3 cats could not imagine losing even one of them,so I can understand how you feel.
Hopefully your Fluffy will be ok,this must be a nightmare to you,so sorry:sad:
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:20 PM

Why are we buying wheat from China when farmers all over the country are growing it and barely hanging on financially? The Canadian government should tell China that they can keep their wheat .

Icy I hope the news about the toxin came in time to save your kitty .
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:15 PM

in response to my email about the death numbers being reported are to low

Channel 7 Chicago on the way to my house...will be on tv

OMG
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM

Good luck Icy! Get the message out!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:02 PM

ok all ready..waiting for them to arrive.

I so nervous..........I'm going to use Pet connections Death numbers.

Please say a little prayer that I do good!

Any from Chicago here? I should be on the 10PM news cast

bye for now
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:57 PM

Pet food recall

Icy I will be watching the news at 10 on the satelite and waving good for you getting the word out although it is also with sadness. Hopefully the news will help Fluffy. The vet has told us that Sera will probably have damaged kidneys but to what extent we don't know. I'm just glad she was only eating a small amount. I have been trying to get in touch with Nutro for three days with no luck but I am not going anywhere so I will keep trying. She is now at home but back to the vet in three days.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
ok all ready..waiting for them to arrive.

I so nervous..........I'm going to use Pet connections Death numbers.

Please say a little prayer that I do good!

Any from Chicago here? I should be on the 10PM news cast

bye for now

Icy, I wish I got the Chicago station but I don't. :sad: Do what you can to get the word out.

And, more good wishes coming for Fluffy.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker View Post
Why are we buying wheat from China when farmers all over the country are growing it and barely hanging on financially? The Canadian government should tell China that they can keep their wheat.
You're putting it politely.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:08 AM

Ughhhhhh. They taped about 3 minutes and only used 15 seconds and not the part where I talked about the FDA numbers being low as compared to what people are reporting at Pet Connection.com.

I emailed all the cable and local stations this afternoon because I was getting madder by the minute, every time I saw a news clip, they would say FDA 16 deaths. As we know, that is a bunch of bull!! I also wanted to let them know about Pet Connection.com database, etc.

The reporter called me before the crew showed up and she had the web site in front of her looking for the numbers. I showed her where to look, etc.

Ok, so now she is aware, but for some reason (legal??) didn't say the name "Pet Connection" on the bit, only that there is a web site reporting higher numbers! Ugghhhhhhh! I talked with her for about 15 minutes, telling my story, etc.

The 15 seconds they showed: With Fluffy on my lap, I was asked what my reaction was when I saw "Rat poison" this morning. Then they showed a picture of Petunia, blood test results for both cats and the Iam's pouches.

The bottom line is this: Please take the time to email your local & cable TV stations! Express your concerns and tell them about PET CONNECTION.COM

Maybe, just maybe, one of them will go after the FDA and start asking them WHY? What's up with your numbers?, etc.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
-

That's the media for you. :sad:
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Why get wheat from China???? For the same reason everything else is stamped"made in China"it's CHEAP!!!
All our regulations go right out the window when we deal with a country who has none!

ICY,the papers here have added 2 more deaths to make it 16 in the US no deaths reported in Canada
I was at Walmart in Mississauga yesterday,all the food on the list are still on the shelves...talked to an employee and called the store,they promised to investigate..hmmmm
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntarioGreys View Post
I would not count on that though, since the plant that was producing the food is located in Ontario.
The company that OWNS the offending plants has its headquarters in Ontario ..... I don't know that they’re actually producing the food here?? Are you sure?

KC
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:07 AM

video link to my TV bit Chicago WLS 7

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=consumer&id=5143790

They only used a very short segment of what they taped. The main and only reason I agreed to do this bit was to point out the WEB SITE (PetConnection.com) and data base and how the number of deaths being reported (16) on everyone's news cast, was not right and way off in
their numbers.

How frustrating, they didn't use the best part of what they taped. But the reporter, Cheryl Burton did make reference to a web site on the Internet who is showing much higher death numbers. Why didn't she say the name "Pet Connection?" Maybe a legal issue.

A guy over at Pet Conenction posted that he emailed the FDA 3/23 and they told him they are not releasing any numbers!
So I ask, if not the FDA, who is, is it Menu?
Come to think of it, I can't say for sure if the news people reference FDA when they state the death numbers of 16.
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Why get wheat from China???? For the same reason everything else is stamped"made in China"it's CHEAP!!!
All our regulations go right out the window when we deal with a country who has none!

ICY,the papers here have added 2 more deaths to make it 16 in the US no deaths reported in Canada
I was at Walmart in Mississauga yesterday,all the food on the list are still on the shelves...talked to an employee and called the store,they promised to investigate..hmmmm
OMG, that is insane!!! Walmart??? GEEZ Too bad you didn't have a camera with you to take some pictures and send over to your local news station. I keep a camera in my car now for things like that. I'm also a photo nut always ready for a great shot, when you least expect it!
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Live well, laugh often

Icy, how is Fluffy doing today?

I can't believe how many people are still clueless about the recall :sad: . I was working at a client yesterday and two employees have cats and neither one had heard anything about it . Luckily they weren't eating anything on the recall list but I told them to make sure they passed the word along.