Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old September 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

What are the healthiest prepackaged [oxymoron?] human foods out there for dogs?

I've been wanting to look mix Hunter's menu up a bit for quite a while now. As mentioned in one of my threads a couple of weeks back, Hunter no longer wants to eat Solid Gold (unless there's ground beef and a *bit* of yogurt -- thanks technodoll ).

This showed me how important variety is to pets (and I suppose Hunter is just extra picky ), so I would like to buy some extra foods for Hunter so he'll have variety, but I may not always have the time to properly cook for him. I know that almost all veggies can be easily prepared and have no real problems, but what about meats such as....sausages? or canned tuna/salmon? Are there any brands of prepackaged human food out there with very little added stuff like seasoning or preservatives, etc. that you recommend?

(I suppose I can always go through all the ingredient labels in the aisles, but this would definitely save me some time )

Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I (and Layla) give a big to tuna. even the juice drizzled over the food. Sausages are reaaally high in fat, so they may not be a good idea.
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:11 AM
Honest Contributor

here are some ideas:

-any canned fish, packed in water (tuna, salmon, sardines, mackeral, etc)

-make your own broth some rainy weekend, add in some pasta or rice and some ground meat (beef, pork, chicken, turkey...) and veggies and remember NO onions but go crazy on the garlic... put in containers and you have a soup(er) addition on your hands for months to come, at a very low cost to you

-those lipton noodle or rice packets (or rice-a-rony) at the dollar store come in chicken, cheese, romanoff, etc flavors and dogs love them! boil some water, dump in the contents again with ground meat and it makes a bunch of very savory kibble addition, it freezes well. or do it with Mac n'cheese!

-you can make the ground meat & yogurt mixture in big batches & freeze in small containers, it will save you time and you can rotate with the above mixes for variety and added nutrition

-if you don't mind "the stinky", here is something dogs go crazy over... bake a bunch of liver (beef, or pork, or chicken, whatever is on sale) in the oven on a foil-lined cookie sheet for about 20 minutes (sprinkle on some garlic powder first if you want). let cool, then puree in the blender with watered-down broth and some yogurt. It's messy but it will last a long time, freezes well, and it very nutritious and rightfully smelly.

-canned green tripe & other holistc foods are great, mix a couple spoonfuls with warm water to make a "gravy" for the kibble

-i have other "recipes" if you want

As you have maybe read in the other Solid Gold threads, their recipes have changed for the worse and many people will not feed it anymore (some have already reported gastric troubles with the new stuff).

good luck! and i think your boy is very lucky to have such delicious, varied and nutritious meals! you'll see his health will glow

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:12 AM
Boss-lady!

Thanks, HunterXHunter! I was going to post a similiar question so I'll post here to save opening a new thread (and it's relevant, so I won't be threadjacking, I hope!).

My guys have had really dry skin lately, so I've added canned salmon to their food. Anyone have any ideas of how often it's OK to do so and how much is too much? They haven't had any digestive issues with it, and they just about turn somersaults when they smell the stinky fish! It's been pink salmon, and I reduced the amount of kibble in the bowl since my husband decided that a whole can apiece wouldn't hurt them. (They are about 55 lb and 75 lbs).

And how much tuna, Puppyluv? I have no problem with alternating fish sources. I've seen recommendations for sardines, too. I think that was Technodoll. Any thoughts?

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Honest Contributor

you can give any canned fish every day if you want, it's excellent pure protein (but tuna, once or twice a week only due to the mercury issue).

As canned fish is high in salt, you may want to drain the liquid, refill the can with water, let stand 5 minutes and drain again to help de-salt the fish. Canned mackeral is excellent, as are sardines, etc. Check your dollar-store for cheap fish, they carry the same brands as in your local grocery store but at much better prices

oh i forgot EGGS! serve them cooked, raw, half-cooked, raw frozen, scrambled, hard-boiled, poached... most dogs love eggs!

Old September 21st, 2006, 11:34 AM
Boss-lady!

Thanks, TD. Great info, as always.

The pups love eggs-actually, I haven't run into a food yet they DON"T like! Just one Granny Smith apple that was a little too sour and hard for Bronwyn. They likes their fruit and veggie treats.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:56 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I thought too much garlic was bad as its part of the onion family? Its fine to use in moderation though?

Eggs are great to put in a Kong. Block off the hole and crack a raw egg and put inside. Then toss it in the microwave for 30sec or so. Carefull not too long as it will shoot out like a canon lol. Then cool off and let em have it!
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
you can give any canned fish every day if you want, it's excellent pure protein (but tuna, once or twice a week only due to the mercury issue).

As canned fish is high in salt, you may want to drain the liquid, refill the can with water, let stand 5 minutes and drain again to help de-salt the fish. Canned mackeral is excellent, as are sardines, etc. Check your dollar-store for cheap fish, they carry the same brands as in your local grocery store but at much better prices

oh i forgot EGGS! serve them cooked, raw, half-cooked, raw frozen, scrambled, hard-boiled, poached... most dogs love eggs!
If you can find Alaska canned salmon at a decent price, it's wild run/caught fish--very healthy for humans and their pets! Tuna does have problems with murcury and other heavy metals. Canned chicken is good, my dogs have alway enjoyed baby food (had a dog that was nuts about gerber's squash!)

Meatballs? (Hamberger, rice or oatmeal, & eggs.)

Technodoll, the thing about Ramen noodles is that they're pretty high in hydrogenated fats and salt. They're pretty convenient and cheap. But pretty awful nutritionally.

Angie loves hard boiled eggs, but won't crack the shell herself. She's sooo much trouble!
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
the thing about Ramen noodles is that they're pretty high in hydrogenated fats and salt.
oh no, not RAMEN! i haven't touched those since student university days, LOL! ick ick ick. i mean those Uncle Bens rices in a pouch... this stuff, mixed with hamburger, dogs looove it as a kibble topper... i get them at the dollar store