Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 16th, 2004, 09:10 AM

What do to with a kitten at night?

I am just wondering what people do with their kittens/cats at night. Our 4 month old kitten does not sleep through the entire night (nocturnal, I know), and instead likes to pounce on our fingers, toes, and heads. It got to be so we have to put him in his own bedroom at night (he has his food, water, litter box, and toys in there as well). Just wondering what other people do? Thanks!
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:22 AM

Well, welcome to kittenhood! You've pretty much figured out the solution yourself. Either isolate the kitten, or isolate yourselves. We used to let our kitten have the run of the house, and we slept with the bedroom door closed. I figured he'd have more room to burn off all of that kitten energy! Of course, the dog slept with us.
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:25 AM

As well - will the kitten outgrow it - i.e., will we ever be able to let him have the run of the house, including the bedroom?
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:48 AM

I don't know about all cats, but mine did. Although he still has what we refer to as "psycho moments", when he seems to lose his mind and starts tearing around the house at top speed, attacking imaginary adversaries, etc... For the most part, he's a couch potato.
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,when I first got my Vinnie,he slept on his own in a seperate room,because my other two cats were sleeping in bed with me and he would not leave them alone.The rest of the day he had run of the whole house.
Now,he's grown up and we all happily sleep in one King Size bed (hubbie included!)
Ps,All three of my cats have psycho moments at different times of the day!!
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

4 months old is the worst and most annoying age for kittens. Yes, he will outgrow it eventually.

I can tell you the best answer to this, but you may not like it. Get another kitten the same age, and then you can go in your bedroom and close the door, and the kittens will play all night and tire each other out.
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM
banned user

We can't let our cats sleep with us, I sometimes have a hard time breathing when they sleep on/next to my head. Once in a while I will let my Sneaky in the room, she will do a few laps around the bed and then settle next to me... she's old enough that she doesn't pounce but she wakes me up a million times a night by licking my eye lids... I think of it as her way of saying Hey, get up!!
Some cats never outgrow the play phase and if you're a light sleeper (like me) you may not be able to sleep with them. Our cats seem perfectly happy having the run of the house except our bedroom... although they have to 'knock' on the door every night for good measure.
W4F... psycho moments, very good definition, I swear they see things we can't!!!
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Animal Lover!!

LOL...oh the days of an energectic kitten When Talon was a baby we had to shut our bedroom door! But after he was fixed he calmed down alot, and we were able to let him sleep with us. And now both kitty's sleep with me one of each side....LOL And if there is room left over, then DH is allowed
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I make a point of playing with both my cats before I go to sleep. It's my attempt at trying to tire them out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I can't close my door because one of my cats is my shadow and just sits at the door all night sliding her paws under the door and meowing like crazy everytime I shift in bed.

Generally I get to sleep through the night..or at least until one of them decides it's breakfast time. They are smart little creatures! Winnie has figured out if she starts trying to open the drawers of the jewelry box I'll get up before she's emptied my earrings on the floor (again!). She's learned that walking over me doesn't work anymore.

I read in a book once that if you want your cat to sleep through the night that you should distrurb their cat naps during the day and play with them before bedtime. I'm not home during the day to wake them from catnaps and I didn't know if this was a good idea or not, so I just went with the trying to tire them out.

Good luck...enjoy the stage while it lasts, someday you may be looking at your kitty and wondering where all her energy went!
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Puss-Puss wakes hubby up at night (sometimes 2x a night) for her late night can of Fancy Feast. She gets one at bedtime too. Hubby never complains. She's 15yo, hyper-thyroid and on meds. We give her all she wants and she's always been on the thin side. After 15 years (only hyper-thyroid the last 2), hubby practically feeds her in his sleep! We never had kids. He'd have made a great dad doing the 2am feedings while mom slept!
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Our cats are allowed to go wherever. Our siamese sometimes howls at night usually starts it downstairs. Our other cat plays with my dd's mittens or socks during the night. The other one I don't know what she does at night. Also sometimes they will play ie racing through the house. They do sleep on beds and have never played with our toes or fingers.

In your situation, I might be tempted to have a water bottle to use when the kitten plays tries to play, I would squirt her in attempt to stop that behavior.
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Ah....the good old days of cat ownership. I remember fondly the (almost exactly the same time every night) the 11pm psycho cat race. FYI... it's also known in some circles as the "kitty krazies".
Old September 16th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a difference if you are home all day like I am,if you work,the cats probably sleep most of the day and night-time is playtime
My cats have about the same timetable as me and by 10:30-11 they go to bed whether I am there or not
They are more into routine than I am and I swear they know how to tell time