Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Does anyone here have papillons?

I'd like to learn about them. I'm more of a "big dog" person, but it's sooo hard to find an apartment that allows big dogs around here (meaning over 25 lbs, or sometimes even 20 lbs). So I'm considering a small breed and I've always like papillons . . .
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:53 PM

I have no experience raising a papillon, I got Dory when she was an adult and she had some bad habits. I really think that raising a papillon must be awesome. Having a pap is great, she's like a big dog, but she's compact. Even my hubby likes her, now that she is properly trained, she's a great little dog. If I had raised her from puppyhood, I'm positive she would never have come down with any of the training problems we dealt with at all. Pretty much they are really clever, very quick to learn, once you find the sort of training that works for that particular dog.

Socialization is key, and consistant training, Dory really takes advantage if she can, so with her it's all about consistancy. It would have been great if she had been socialized as a puppy because she does have problems with other dogs, but it was because she lacked the puppygarten that would have helped when she was younger.

One thing I should mention is the hair, most of them have a lot of it, and she sheds, but not like the cats do. I admit it, I clip her hair, but, she's not a show dog, if she was, i wouldn't dream of it, of course, it's just easier this way, she used to collect dust she has so much hair, she's more comfy clipped anyways, I see how happy she is when she gets her hair trimmed.

If you have any more questions, I hope I can help.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Smile

I have a great breed for you, it's a Miki,if you go on pure bred Discussion and scroll down to miki you will see my Miki and also enjoy all the controversy [sp]going on about my sweet Maggie May,theres also a web site that will explain the breed to you my Miki is 5lbs she is 2yrs.old
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Smile

Oh I should tell you that a Miki is a PURE BREED Japanese Chin, Pappion,and Maltese.
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have a pappillon but my shih tzu is 13 pounds, and would make a great apartment dog. As someone once said to me regarding shih tzus "They got the whole dog in there." They have tons of personality , they're affectionate, and playful.

It wasn't a breed I was the least bit interested in but when we went to the adoption day this one little guy just caught our eye and we took him home. And now we're hooked.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:09 AM

A papillion is a lovely breed with just the right amount of spirit
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:59 AM

Cool. Yeah, I like the spriteliness of the papillion and it seems pretty sporty for a toy dog. I found the website of one breeder who not only shows her dogs but also does a scent sport with them!

The other breed I was thinking about was a miniature or toy poodle . . .

I had Italian Greyhounds on my short list until I visited a few breeder sites and they all emphasized how very, very hard to housebreak they were and that some dogs were never housebroken . . . :sad: Not good if you're an apartment dweller, that'll mess up your rental history.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM

My little girl is a Papillion America Eskimo mix.
She is 14 months old and weighs exactly 15 lbs (which I am sure is contributed to the American Eskimo half) She looks all Papillion to me.

She is THE BEST dog we have ever had, and this is going into childhood etc.
She trained well. She is the perfect combo of lapdog/play dog...
She is perfectly content laying around all day, but can go from 0 to 60 at a 2 second notice. I do not play rough with her... but she LOVES playing rough with my husband... she acts like she's a German Shepherd when she plays with him. She is GREAT with my kids... I have a 9 and 5 year old. I swear she and the 5 year old are like litter mate. A lot of my day I spend yelling "Abby and Kaylee, STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!!" That antagonize each other. I also have in the past 4 weeks began baby sitting a 6 week old (now 10 weeks old) and she is a gem around him. She wants to be by him or lick him but she is a perfect little mommy to him.

I have to agree with Papillion Mama, the shedding can be annoying, and that is with consistant grooming. I also trim her myself... I HAVE to trim around her tooshie or she gets "cling ons" and it is a MUST to trim the paw pads, because the hair their gets long. She does help in keeping herself clean though and is very consciensious of herself if she gets dirty outside.
Believe me I am NOT one for shedding and I hate nothing more than having dog hair on me/carpet/carseats/ etc. but I love this girl SO much I am completely willing to #1 stop wearing black #2 completely overlook this small annoyance... which is something I could never do in the past.

If you want more info about Paps I would recommend this website, it has a lot of useful info...
www.pixiedustpapillions.com
and click on the general info link after you scroll down, there is also a health issues section, a training section etc.

Hope you make the right decision!!!!

Jessica
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM

We have a papillion, she is 8 months now. Such a high spirited breed. Shes compact and travels well with us. She gets along with our cat and children. She is very protective of us (me especially). She tends to bark at new people and pets walking down the street. Her worst habit is house training her, has been difficult. We are persistent. She goes out alot thruout the day. But was kennel trained when we adopted her and she is perfectly well behaved in her kennel. She sleeps in our bed. She is spoiled rotten, she loves to run run run run run. Shes quite a doll. Very nice breed. Beautiful temperments. Kind, gentle, affectionate. She does shed. Shes quite delicate, picking her up sometimes makes her yelp. But we are quite happy with her =)
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:47 PM

Papillons are such great little dogs. I haven't come across one yet that isn't outgoing and active. As far as grooming goes they are pretty easy to take care of. Brush everyday to avoid mats.

Do you research and make sure that any breed of dog is the right one for you. Personally I think I'm a Papillon girl for life!
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Smile

Hello everyone, I have a 5 year old papillion, her name is buttons. She is not pure pap, but enough to say she has the breed. I have a question about relations with other animals whom share our house. She has one cat (tobie) she plays with on a regular basis. I'm not sure though that tobie really likes the frequency of it. They are gentle with each other, but I feel tobie is a little stressed at times. So I am wondering if there may be anything I can do to reduce the stress. I work some days 11 hours, buttons gets quite bored I'm sure. She is the third arrival, as a pup (we have 5 cats in total) but she is dominant over all.

Jessica, reading your post I will check out the papillon link and see if I can find some information.

Anyone with ideas or questions please reply.
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Go to petfinder. You will find an abundance of different type of little dogs and different ages that require forever homes. If in rescue, they are more than likely in a foster home. This way - they can tell you about the dog's behaviour, temperment and if suited for your living conditions as well as your lifestyle. You would be surprised how many wonderful dogs need a second chance.
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:02 PM

petfinder

Thank you for the suggestion,

What a maze, I'm not looking to buy a dog. I will maybe consider adopting one. Right now I am just looking for more information about stress between animals. Is my dog too high caliber for a cat. The cat is not a lazy one either he likes to chase his toys around the house instead of napping.

Any help is appreciated
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm not sure if another dog is your answer, Buttonsroberts. Two dogs can get into a heap of trouble if left alone for 11 hours... Couple of suggestions, though--is there a doggy daycare somewhere near you that your dog could go to, if only a couple days a week? It would serve to tucker Buttons out and give the cats a break on those days. Also, do your cats have a 'safe place' to go to that Buttons can't get to? Someplace where your cats can get a break if Buttons gets too rambunctious? If you think your kitties are stressed, having a safe haven might help reduce their stress level...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:18 PM

Thank you hazelrunpack, yes the house has a large number of seclusive places the cats can rest in peace. They are not shy to bat at buttons to give her the get lost look. My son's lady was here for a visit, she is in college for a vet tech, we discussed a layout of the present situation. As it turns out we overlooked something that was very obvious. In November of 10 my sister was realizing she had to put her dog of 11 years down sometime in the near future. He was arthritic and other problems that were taking his quality of life away. Her stress building to the point she had to make the appointment and carry it out, was in fact picked up by her cat. The cat was tearing her fur off and biting herself. So we communicated this to the vet's. They agreed it was no doubt the problem, so for a time the cat was on valium and a cream to heal her wounds. All is settled now and the cat and my sister are feeling better.

Me too, I am a real cat person, but I love dogs too. I was raised with a pup, shepherd/wolf mix. He was my superdog, we shared everything. My heart goes out to animals because they are innocent and honest, truest of love comes from them.

I am in the process of learning to brush my pets teeth, and get into a grooming time. It is going to be hard, keeping two jobs and a home school course going. However I am determined to give it my best shot.

If I can get my camera working I will be uploading some pictures of the "kids" at my house.

Thanks again for your help. I will be here reading up for any news and views on these little super dogs.

Marilyn
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I was told once that Yorkie's are a big dog in a small package? I personally like the Boston terrier cause it's not high energy (when it grows up that is) and a Frenchy.....they would be could apartment dogs, not a lot of shedding. Dogs like you describe are in abundance in the shelters for sure. What about a ****zu, I know a lot of people that love theirs, oh and also good choice on min Poodle (very trainable) Remember that not shedding needs serious grooming.