Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old August 7th, 2005, 01:19 AM

Thumbs up Who's your favorite author?

Looks like unsleepy Prin has another "question of the night"...

Who is your favorite author?

Like if you were stranded on a desert island and you could only bring all the books written by one author, who would the author be? (And don't ask me why you can bring so many books and no clean underwear. I don't know why. I didn't make the rules. )
Old August 7th, 2005, 01:30 AM

Oh, like I hinted in the insomnia thread, mine would be Roald Dahl. No matter how old I get, I can still read the books like I'm little. The best one is the BFG, but according to the rules (which I did not make up ), I get to bring them all.
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:03 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Carl Hiaasen, check out www.carlhiaasen.com. I just started reading Skinny Dip.

My all time favorite so far has been Sick Puppy, but all of his books are great!

Last edited by Karin; August 7th, 2005 at 05:07 AM.
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I haven't much time for reading any longer with the kids but I was quite hooked on Anne Rice for a very long time.
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,I am a mystery-freak,I have many favourites but here are three..
Jonathan Kellerman,Faye Kellerman,Joy Fielding and I've read ALL their books!
Nonfiction,I like to read about wolves and other creatures..
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

OOOO I like this one... sooo tough though... I LOVE Carl Hiaasen... so witty. And Roald Dahl and soo many others But my favorite author of all time? Chris Van Allsburg. Hands down, no contest!
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:06 PM

I would have to take Danielle Steele because I love those mushy romance novels....
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Well if we are bringing childrens' books, can I bring my Nancy Drew series? I have each and every one - call me a major pack rat.
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:15 PM

LOL I have never read Nancy Drew. But then again, I didn't read much when I was little. If Roald Dahl didn't write so well, such that even kids with no attention span like me can read them, I probably wouldn't know how to write...
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Sorry, never read Ronald Dahl or Nancy Drew or Robert Munsch (I had a deprived childhood). Never heard of most of those other authors you all have mentioned (that's why I said "enlightened"). Danielle Steele? I wouldn't exactly call her "mushy". I can't believe the pain and suffering she puts her heroines through! Sometimes I think she seriously hates them! I liked her books, don't get me wrong. They're just some of the gloomiest things I've ever read, until the very last couple of pages. The only "children's books" I'd be able to survive with on a desert island would be the Harry Potter series.
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Crazy About Chow Chows

Tolkien. I'd bring all my Tolkien books (read:everything he's ever written and some biographies) and my Elvish dictionary.

And I would bring a few Roald Dahl books too. xD

Surria (Clos de Lion's Spirit of Fire), 1 yr old Chow Chow (female)

Tigra, 2 yr old Pomeranian (female)

Kiki (Angelspur's Icy Dream) 1 yr old Persian (female)
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Sorry, never read Ronald Dahl or Nancy Drew or Robert Munsch (I had a deprived childhood).
Can you read just one Roald Dahl book? You can't live life without knowing what it's all about. Ok, that's a bit dramatic, but these books are so imaginary and easy to read from start to finish in one sitting. If you do read one, read the BFG. Have you seen the Charlie and the Chocolate factory movie? (there's the one from the 70's that isn't so great, but then there is the new one with Johnny Depp that they tried to make more "true" to the book.) The books are so fun and so weird..
Old August 8th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Dean Koontz, JOhn Irving (a widow for one year),

I have book a read called "shes come undone"... i cant think of the author but I enjoyed two of her books... I loved Shes come undone!

I remember books more then authors... Lovely bones is another one. Awesome book.

Right now i am starting another dean koontz read as they are quick and fun to read novels.
After that my mom gave me this hard cover called Cane River about slavery which I can't wait to read.

Some books I start and never finish. I know its agood book when I cant put it down. It will take me 3 days to finish...
Old November 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Lucy Maud Montgomery for sure, I read my first Anne book when i was 9 and I am still reading it 14 years later.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Learning fast

I always have at least 2 books on me. My all time fav's well i like Evanovich and Grafton for light reading, Colin Bateman, Christopher Brookmyre is great, Hiaasen I have read everything he has done, along with Elmore leanord, Pellecanos is also a good read, but I have all his, just finished reading a nice 4 set from Stephen Woodworth, well worth the time. Oh and Lee Child I can't put down, read all of Critons stuff aswell. There are so many out there, Mike Gayle, Barrowcliffe. Oh man I could go on, but I never seem to remember all the names. I would pick up anything by the above authors without hesitation. I pick up boxes of books at farm and estate sales so I never get to read the newest titles but untill 10 years ago I NEVER read a single book, in school or out. So now I'm hooked, couldn't get into King, or Cornwell but that was a while ago so I may have another go, james Herbert never did it for me.
OH Douglas Preston and Lincon Childs is superb, I would never have brought the book looking at the cover but I got one on audiotape and I was hooked.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I think i would have to say barbara erskine, diana gabaldon there are other but these are my favorite
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM

The Riddle of the Wren by Charles de Lint , he's an interesting author, this was my favorite that he wrote, the rest of his collection is interesting, but not as cool. This book is not in circulation anymore and someone stole it from the special collections library.

Stephen King, of course, I've read almost all of his books. My favorite, It, It scared the heck out of me, I swear I was freaked out about the sinks and bathtubs. Scary book, but I've never liked clowns much.

Kathleen O'neal Gear and W. Michael Gear, (They wrote books sort of like Jean Auel), I only really poured over one of their books, People of the Masks. I find the rest are too archealogically based and there just isn't enough mysticism. This one I highly reccommend, it's the best of theirs that I've read.

Terry McMillan, I just like the modern way that she writes.

Right now I'm working on the Lemony Snickett books, I enjoy them, I like a good mystery, they're a bit wordy, but I just skip all the parts he tells you to put the book down.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM

my favorite author is Stephen King i love scary stories
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm following the rules here. Stranded right? This isnt' just asking who is your favorite but asking if you were STRANDED and could bring them all. I'll say Rex Stout because he was just so prolific. So I'll bring all his Nero Wolfe mysteries. That will keep me busy until I learn how to make fire and fish with my bare hands and do my own dental work with skates that wash up on the beach.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I love mystery-books,Jonathan Kellerman,Faye Kellerman and John Sandford are my absolute favorites.
John Grisham is ok too..
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Agility addict

If I was on a desert island, it would be Steven Erickson hands down. I could live in the worlds he creates (makes tolkien look shallow) If I could pick another one it would be Greg Bear or Robert Sawyer
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:41 AM

I love Jane Austin and Stephen King
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Samantha, those two would be chalk and cheese. I like Stephen King, he's a master at scaring the hell out of me. LOL.
Old February 4th, 2014, 04:38 AM

I'm too easily scared for Stephen King , although I hear he's a great storyteller. Which is the same reason I love John Irving's work, for him writing really is a craft
Old February 15th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Frenchy's mom

Wow! Last thing I expected to see discussed on a pets forum! I'm a mystery fan. My current favorites are Michael Connelly and John Lescroart. I used to love the Cat Who books by Lillian Jackson Braun. Have enjoyed many of Sue Grafton's series but she's not one of my favorites.

I'm a mystery writer myself, and had to have a Siamese cat somewhere in my cast of characters, not to mention a Spitz named Peterbilt who was mistaken for a Pomeranian.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; February 15th, 2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: No self-promotion, pls
Old June 18th, 2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilster View Post
I'm too easily scared for Stephen King , although I hear he's a great storyteller. Which is the same reason I love John Irving's work, for him writing really is a craft
You should really get into his books, they're not all that scary Mr King is also doing much better, financially, btw. ( http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...ors-worldwide/ )
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:16 AM

Jack London, especially the Martin Eden 1913
Old September 18th, 2019, 05:32 AM

My favorite author is Jack London.
Old October 1st, 2022, 06:04 AM
Emperor

Kurt Vonnegut

Read again Cat's Cradle and Slaughterhouse-Five, or, The Children's Crusade
my fav books I think

Last edited by hazelrunpack; October 2nd, 2022 at 08:54 AM. Reason: removed link
Old October 2nd, 2022, 09:02 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I used to read a lot of Vonnegut. I think I even have a few of his books on hand.

I don't think I've read The Children's Crusade, but I did enjoy the other two. It's been years since I've read them--I may have to pull them out of storage and read them again!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."