Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Question 7 weeks old mini Schnauzer with lump

Hi, my 7 weeks old puppy has a lump in the injection site. The vaccines were administered 6 days ago but the lump appeared yesterday. Please help, is Friday and I will get him to the vet this Monday but what should I do in the meantime?
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Nurisar!

My best advice: don't mess around with it. I've been guilty of 'overchecking' in the past--if you keep checking the lump, it'll just get bigger from irritation. Does it seem to bother him? If not, just leave it alone till you can have it checked. If it seems to be painful, a cold compress might help.

It's a good thing you kept track of where the injection was given. This way you know the lump is likely from the vaccination and not a tumor. One of our dogs developed a lump between her shoulder blades more than 2 weeks after her vaccination, and we didn't connect the two events. The needle biopsy of the lump was inconclusive and the vet worried that it might be a mast cell tumor so we had it removed. Very traumatic, and the pathology came back as a benign vaccination lump. If we'd kept better track of where the injection had been given, it would have saved us a big bill and our dog an unnecessary surgery. Since then we, too, have been keeping very close tabs on vaccination sites.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:30 PM

my dog had a lump a few days after his injection, a few days later it went away. If he is having no negative reaction to the injections themselves there should be no reason to go to an emergency vet, Monday should be fine, the lump may even go down by then, it is likely just a localized immune response.
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:48 PM

Just wanted to agree with the above, if it is not bothering him, should be fine, call the vet Monday if it is still there, to get a professional opinion.

Tags
lump, puppy, vaccination