Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM

crusty lumps?

well yesterday i was petting flint (2yr old husky/lab) and noticed he has crusty lumps on his back from his neck to his tail. id estimate 20 of them or so. they are a little red and have a yellowish crust on them, they are about the size of your average human pimple. i did find one spot that looked like it opened up and was an open sore so i put some neosporine on it. he doesnt seem to be in any pain except when i started spreading fur to take a closer look and even then he just looked as if he was interested as well. im going to make a vet appointment tomorrow but i was wondering if this was something i should be more concerned about and make an emergency visit. thanks in advance.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM

Hi,

Without being able to see the crusty bumps, my experience tells me that a visit to an emergency clinic is not necessary. This could be symptomatic of some sort of allergy, or maybe a congenital issue - I couldn't really say, as I am not a Vet. Although home remedies can often work well, I'm not sure Neosporin is the way to go, because this clearly sounds as though this is NOT a surface wound, and topical treatments will not remedy an internal health problem/issue.

I too, have a HuskyX, and she has had skin issues her entire life, but nothing that has interfered with her quality of life! One thing I can tell you for sure, is that there is definitely an infection, and the draining of the toxins are causing the "crustiness". It's great that you will be seeing your Vet soon, and I am certain that he/she will have real answers for you!

Good Luck!
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM

thank you for the information, it would have made me sleep easy last night if it werent for a thunderstorm teasing flint. anyhow i went into the vet and he decided it was best to treat this as some sort of an allergy though hes not sure if it truly is or not due to it being so localized to his spine. the "crusty lumps" have started to fall off, hair, derma and all... so antibiotics and benedryl for a few days and see if things improve.

again, thank you, eased my mind.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM

I'm glad I could ease your mind. I know what it's like to not know...And I am
happy to hear the "crusty lumps" are a thing of the past!
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM

well, not a thing of the past yet. but heres hoping!!