Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, L4H, CHICO! Kitty people HELP.

I need help. I was at my firends house and she said there were kittens under her house but no momma. They've been on the lookout for a while for a momma but cant find one.

They werent gonna fo anything So i went to have a look and managed to get one Kitten. Not sure of sex. Or age. Im thinking 4 weeks?

I dont kknow what to do. Mom and dad arent home and are going to KILL me.

I have her in keelys kennel and I have a ew aper towels in there for her/him. Bercause right now im stunned. And stupid.. Im pretty sure shes hungry.

Shes adorable. WHAT DO I DO?!

Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh and she is PISSED. She keeps making a spitting noise at me but let me catch her *shrug* I didnt see anymore and I was paniced so i took her. Not sure if i did the right thing
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Those kittens need to be rescued. Yes about 4 weeks old. Momma may be out hunting, but the kittens will die a slow death without her.

Thank you for rescuing and please try to rescue the others

Good luck and please keep us updated .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Now is the time to socialize the kittens so they are adoptable. Do you have a shelter that can help you?

It looks like this kitten is old enough for cat food (canned of course) no grains though.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Do you have any raw meat you can cut up in tinsy pieces? The kitten will need some fluids too so you can add some warm water.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG B-M,I think she looks a little older than 4 weeks,but I could be wrong.
What happened with the others??
They'll die out there with no food and no mom.:sad:
I don't know much about what to do,but I know they all need food ASAP,like canned kitten-food.
Is there a possibility you could take in the others too and when your parents get home,maybe get them all to a rescue???
But first they need food..
That little one is adorable
Hopefully L4H and 14+ will come around

You beat me to it L4H..
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

BM you may want to put her an an area of the house like a agarage for now until you can figure out what your next move is. She may have fleas and pass them on to you and your family! Then your parents will KILL you! as long as she is not cold?? I agree you need to go and see if you can find the others especially if momma doesnt come home...as L4H said momma could be out hunting for food :sad:

Good luck!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok, calmed down a bit..

Bears owner brought me to the store. All they had was whiskers wet kitten food. That is better then nothnng right?

My mom is fine with it. She was smiling the whole time and almost cried because im so much like her dad. He loved animals and was always bringing home strays.. My dad seems mad. But I think hes just doing it for the sake of being an idiot (He does that) She is in my room. We have a garage but it doesnt have a door yet cuz it isnt done. So its tooo cold. Keely will be banned from my room for the time being.

Im not sure how many other kittens there are. There were kids running around and scared them off.

She is pretty skinny, She has alot of floof but she feels sooooo Skinny... Shes sitting up now and falling asleep.

How do I start socializing? she let me pick her up. I caught her no prob. But she is pissed off because keely was with me on the way home and she was barking at the meowing coolaid jammer box and she is probably stressed out.

The house ownners are almost 100 percent sure their is no momma.

Im not sure if this will hurt her, But the home owners put out cow milk to attrack the kittens. That is how I got her im pretty sure.

Thanks for the advice. Not sure how long i will have her. Im thinking the spca will be the best option. They are awesome and dont euth.

She has a bit of food, i didnt give her alot because im unsure when she ate last and if too much will upset her stomache.

Mom is in here now talking about how cute she is.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont know how im going to get the other out of there. It is SO crowded with sotrage under their house. and im afraid to move anything because if something falls on them.. Oh gawd.. I dont know how you guys do it all the time.. I want to cry so bad.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I start socializing by putting some minced meat on my finger. If you can get some Kitten Milk Replacer that would even be better. Let them sniff your finger and they will associate you with food. Very, very slow movements and sitting on the floor at their level is best.

Just to let you know that I have found with my feral kittens they wouldn't eat cat food, but loved raw meat.

Good luck

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 30th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks.. Unfortunatly, The only store open is a conveniance store that sells crap.. Id have to drive very far to get the proper recources. ugh... i hate living in the booones

She is much tinier then she looks in the pic. Shes in a med. wire crate and she fits nicely in the corner. Her eyes are sooo blue. Her color looks like a himi (I think thats the cat im thinking of)
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How about keely's carrier and put some meat in the back of it so they come out, then slam the door?

Or, if they are hungry enough the may come out on their own and if you have a friend who can man the carrier as you put them in. If is very noisy, momma may be waiting for night time to come back to her kittens.

14+ has a lot of experience in trapping kitties so she may be able to give you better advice.

I know what you mean about living in the boonies, sometimes it can be very frustrating.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 30th, 2009, 05:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The crate is actually a good idea if you don't have access to a live trap. But you would have to be quick and not panic the kittens.
When the kitties get hungry enough they will come out looking for food - hopefully. Your best bet is the live trap baited with tuna, sardines, salmon, something smelly so it peaks their interest. If possible cover the trap with a blanket so it is a little warm for them in case they go in early in the night and no one is getting them until morning. Make sure you double check so no kittens are left behind. It is very unusual to have only one kitten. You probably caught the bravest one.

They are little spitfires, aren't they? I love it when they do that little spit/hiss thing. Trying to scare us off.
Is there any rescues in your area that could help you? Or a HS?
Do you have any sand around you could use to put in a litter box. Just to see if kitty will use it. You could line a cardboard box with a garbage bag, put sand in and see what happens. If you don't see any sign of kitty using the sand you may have to stimulate him/her to pee/poop with a warm wash cloth. I think kitty looks old enough though. Should be going on it's own. I would think four or five weeks.
If the kitten is not showing much interest in the food try warming it a little. Not too much though. Also, as you said earlier, no cow's milk!!! Water will do for a while until you can either get kitty to a rescue or get some milk replacer.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you All!

The spca here is Actually like a rescue/animal shelter.. Ive heard of other spca's being a little less then reputable but i can assure you this one is one of the best!

Shes warming up to me quicker then i thought. I put water in her food and warmed it and she wouldnt eat it so I spoon fed her. She was STARVING. I had to cut her off though. Im afraid she will eat too much and get sick, throw u and dehydrate.

Shes already drank Cows milk that the woman put out for them.. I will do my best to cath the others.. Hopefully my best is good enough..

I will contact the spca about a live trap. She is sitting up asleep now. And her head keeps dropping. I want to make her crate more comfy but I dont want to stress her out. You think I should take the chacne and put a blanket in their? Not a big blanket that she could smother in (I dont know if thats something to worry about with kittens or not) I have a smaller Fleece blanket. But it smells like keely so it might not be good then?

I thought i knew a nice bit about cats. Until I have to take care of one.. Now im freaking out. I think Mom wants to bring her to the spca tomorrow. Im trying to convince her to let me keep her for a week and try to socialize her/ vet her. I think A kitty should have some one on one love and attention... Ive fallen for her (It might be a he) already and her nick name is Angel. For some reason I am convinced it is a girl.

What do you guys think she is? long haired slver tabby?

I just wish she/he would understand I am trying to HELP. stop Sitting at me! lol..

I never realized how much I adore cats before.

Oh god. Giving her up is going to be hard. But i know there is no chance of keeping her. My dad HATES cats with a passion.Only because hes afraid of them though. The big wuss.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If your mom lets you, try to get the whole litter. Are you back to school yet?

If you don't have a cardboard box, then even a tinfoil square cake pan will do.

Cow's milk can give the kittens diarrhea due to the lactose. Kittens can dehydrate within 24 hours and will go downhill very quickly so if you can, please ask the lady not to give the kittens any more.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 30th, 2009, 06:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

At the very least keep the kitty until you get the whole litter if possible. It would be much better for kitty and siblings to stay together.
My says surrender to your HS. They know how to look after kitties. They may even have a lactating female who would be willing to take over mom duties and feed the kitties. That is very important for the kitties.

If you can convince your dad then adopt one of them when it is bigger.
Oh, and thank you for caring. Kitties really are the sweetest.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

My mom seems to like her alot. Beleive it or not, But Bella (her name, Oh and she IS a SHE! ) Has warmed up to me already.

She is quiet in her crate and just sleeps, but if i leave the room she makes the LOUDEST meows. I had to fix up the crat so i took her out. She didnt make any fuss, and she was exploring my shirt and cuddled up and went to sleep Odd huh?

Mom would probably keep her if it werent for dad. He isnt very happy right now. And the thoughts of giving her up are making me extremly sad already.

She has a cardboard box litter box, and she has a bowl of water mixed with a tiny bit of food , making a watery soup. She just had a nice drink. No pee or poop yet.

She has a blanket. Its not too bad of a setup.

Keely is terrified of her. She came in my room (mom let her in) tucked her tail and ran away. But she is whining to get in.

Mom is saying that we will bring her in tomorrow.. It really is out of my hands. I wish it werent. I think im going to stay home from school tomorrow and watch her. And i want to be their to talk to the ladies at the shelter and ask questions and tell her about bella. I am absolutely smitten. I already have a deep attachment to her.

Oh and, She is VERY skinny. I cant even understand why she is not dead. Mom felt her and almost cried. her ribs and spine stick out SO bad. She is nothing but fluff.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That sounds like momma is not doing so well at raising them, or something happened to momma. I hope the selter will help rescue the rest of them.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

If you have a big stuffed teddy bear or another furry big stuffed toy, put it in there with her. She'll feel safer and likely cuddle up to it.
She's adorable. I think she's a domestic shorthair, you're seeing kitten fluff which makes them look like they may be long or medium hair cats at that age.

If mom has noticed that the kittens have been disturbed, she's likely to move them, so don't be surprised if they're not where you found them tomorrow.

clm
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
Senior Contributor

bm, when I found Willie in our garage that is how he was. Hissing and everything. Scared the heck outta me, but when I brought him into the hosue and gave him food, he stopped hissing pretty soon. He was also very skinny and only about 4 weeks old. They do make ya fall for them very fast don't they? *G*

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

B-M,it is not difficult to fall in love with a defenseless little kitten and she is beautiful
You are doing what you can to help her,but if your HS is a good shelter,I am sure she'll be fine.
Hopefully they'll make an effort to get the others
Your dad might have a phobia about cats,but strangely enough,there are people who hates cats
Good luck with the little one and hopefully her siblings
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Huge update.

Bella is doing GREAT. she is brave and she loves me. She cries when I leave the room. I brought her downstairs and she doesnt hiss at us or keely anymore. Actually she loves keely now.

Keely mothers her and bella likes to get in under keely and rub up against her legs.

Bella slept with me and keely from 6:30 am to 7:30 am this morning!
She purrs when i hold her.

Best news yet.. I HAVE MORE KITTENS.

3 more.

Bellas twin, chloe.

A grey one named Jasper

And a black one named emmet.

The black one is a MONSTER. He has me scratched and chewed up from catching him. Hes trying really hard to get out of the kennel. He is also the smallest. He is pacing back and forth. I feel bad for him. I am 100 ercent certain there is no mom. Not only do i have a gut feeling but it just doesnt make and sense. Nothing would choose to welp or move her kittens in a place like that. Its far to noisy.

ANyways. All are eating and Bella is using the litterbox with no problems. I only got the other three like 30 minutes ago.

Bella is meowing to get out and explore again..

TTYL
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Catlover2

Kudos to you for taking in this sweet little kitty.
Yes put in a clean fleece blanket for her to snuggle in her crate. It's natural for feral kittens to spit and hiss in the beginning and most are born usually with roundworms, so that is likely why she is skinny and not gaining weight even tho she is eating. You should take her to a vet for a checkup and get her worming medication; don't buy the stuff sold in pet stores as it usually doesn't work. She looks to be about 4-5 weeks old, so at that age she should be gaining weight every day if she is eating well and she should be fed at least 4 times a day.

Perhaps it would be better for kitty if you can give her to the SPCA and try to adopt her when she is ready, especially if you can't afford the visit to the vet nor is anyone at home able to give her frequent feedings and give her lots of handling.

Her colour is unusual and at this stage hard to say just what it will be...could be blue (grey) tabby, or blue lynx-point.
Let us know what happens.

It's great that you've caught her other 2 litter mates. I still think it best to give them to the SPCA & maybe you can adopt "Bella" later.

Last edited by catlover2; October 1st, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Mom just called the shelter. We are leaving very soon :'(
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

YAY, YAY, YAY!!! Your first rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good going!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 1st, 2009, 12:46 PM
Catlover2

Glad to hear they're going to the SPCA. I know you feel sad & disappointed :sad:, but 4 kittens are a lot to look after especially when you're at school all day. I do hope you'll be able to adopt "Bella" later. Definitely, she has Siamese or Himalayan in her background (& her eyes will likely stay blue), especially the fact her sister Chloe is same colour & her brothers are black---makes sense.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They could also be birman, I see some mitted feet on one of them

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

*le sigh*

They are at the shelter awaiting their homes.
I felt bad leaving Little bella there (Whom by the way, is more of a billy) He became attached to me in less then 24 hours. I cant beleive it.

Im also happy. now they will be S/N when the time is right and will get good homes

I do miss them already though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Z4Fb6-Lfw

I gave the shelter The litter and a few cans of food I had left over. The lady was really nice and I think she might be adopting Bella (Now billy, cuz she is a HE) and Chloe. Because she has a cat that looks EXACTLY like them.. the girls told me I could come in anytime I wanted and help out. I mentioned I wanted to volunteer.

I think im going to do some fundraising in school. Its the least I could do.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You did a great thing, babymomma. Those cats now have a chance at being a pampered pet, rather than a feral struggling to survive.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

way to go babymomma!! we're all so proud of you, its hard seeing them leave, but know that if it were not for you they probably wouldn't have made it!! you did well girl!!! I think there might be a bit of siamese in the litter, wish you were closer, my sis inlaw is looking for a siamese/ siameseX right now.