Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Siberian Husky Strange Behavior

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and could really use some advice for my dog. I have a 5 year old Siberian Husky named matix. As for the past week or two he's been acting very strange. We have found him wandering the house especially at night, staring at the floor randomly and whimpering, lethargic, refusing certain treats. He kind of has a glazed look in his eyes, as if he's hollucinating and has been sleeping in our upstairs bathroom which is odd. This is abnormal for him. We brought him to the vets and the blood work and urinalysis came back completely normal. They wanted to do an X ray and an abdominal ultrasound, but I didn't feel that it was very necessary. He does have a partially torn ACL in his back right leg but the cost/risk to too much. He limps a little bit but has no problem putting pressure on it. These most recent episodes has us very upset. We don't know what to do and the Vet wants to do these tests which I feel are unwarranted. He hasn't eaten anything strange lately. I fertilized the grass 3 weeks ago so I don't think it could be a toxic situation. And we started using k9 advantix for tick meds as opposed to Vectra (our previous one, due to new Vet office). Any help would be great.

Thanks!
Matt
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogs can get vertigo. I met a woman who dog was acting like your dog and the woman dog had vertigo. Did the vet check to see if your dog had an infection in it ears ?
Old May 5th, 2013, 10:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It sounds like it might be a pain issue. This can cause the restlessness, lethargy and inappetence. If it were us, we'd go for the xray and abdominal ultrasound just to rule out a foreign object or a mass.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I think you need to go ahead with the Xrays and ultrasound. He could have a blockage.

Dogs can get congnitive dysfunction. He's a bit on the young side but just because it's mostly geriatric doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen younger.

Good thoughts for Matix.