Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Dog at Mile 26

Hi

I thought these dogs had been rescued but according to our town rescue site they haven't been.

This is what I read tonight:

DOGS FOR ADOPTION

"SAVING THE DOGS AT MILE 26"

On May 21 estimates of between 150-200 dogs were left on their own when Jean (the owner) was tragically killed in a fire trying to save some of the puppies. OSPCA was contacted immediately. When by Monday, the dogs had still not received any help, Denice in Moosonee organized a huge food shipment which ONR delivered and fed the dogs. There is no road access to the site so ONR has been instrumental in the rescue of these dogs. Many owe their lives to the caring employees of ONR. Pam in Cochrane was contacted when after a week, the dogs had still not recieved any care/rescue efforts from OSPCA. We were upset to say the least and with the help of many organizations, NOAWS, Moosonee Puppy Rescue and many individuals a rescue was planned for Monday the 31st. We brought out 30 dogs that day. These were not feral dogs but had been Jean's pets. They were sent to various rescues including Pet Save in Sudbury, All Heart Pet Rescue near North Bay, Moosonee Puppy Rescue in Bracebridge, Clarington Shelter and ARK. We were sure OSPCA would step up once they saw these were not just feral dogs but once again we were disapointed and the situation was ignored.
There are still adoptable dogs left up there but we need help to save them. The critical missing link is a tranquilizer gun. With this we could save the remaining adoptable dogs.

It's very sad...I think these are dogs way up in the bush going to Mooseness. Lots of bears, wolves, bobcats etc live up there in the bush. I can't believe this happened May 21st and still there are dogs up there without food or people to help except for the few people manning the train. If it is on the way to Moosenee the train doesn't run up there every day either!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)

Last edited by Tundra_Queen; June 10th, 2010 at 09:44 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That's because the OSPCA is so obsessed with GTA . Now if only they put the efforts into rescuing these dogs as they did in shutting down the THS, those dogs would be rescued and in foster homes now .

Geesh, the more I hear about the OSPCA, the more I think they need to be taken over .

Poor Dogs I hope they make it

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,that's all I can say andfor those poor pups,if they were not feral before,they probably are nowif they have survived..
L4H,you are right,but these poor dogs,would not make the Headlines
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

The media should be notified. This is absolutely NEGLECT on the part of an organization whose mandate is to provide assistance and aid. Or do I not understand the words: PROTECTION of animals. Maybe I don't understand the abbreviation of OSPCA???
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:21 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Maybe I don't understand the abbreviation of OSPCA???
You are not alone on that BenMax. I thought I did, but now
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
That's because the OSPCA is so obsessed with GTA . Now if only they put the efforts into rescuing these dogs as they did in shutting down the THS, those dogs would be rescued and in foster homes now .

Geesh, the more I hear about the OSPCA, the more I think they need to be taken over .

Poor Dogs I hope they make it
I was talking to a friend today whose son use to ride the train up to Moosenee to do construction work. He said this guy Jean lived out in the middle of no where, the train would stop and pick him up and all the dogs would be there. When Jean came back from town all the dogs would be over the tracks waiting for him to come home.

Now that the dogs are by themselves they have been getting killed by bears as there are lots of bears up there and lynx. Also because the dogs didn't have food the big dogs had started killing the smaller one. The train has also killed some of the dogs too as they wait on the tracks...now that is what my friend told me, but I can't understand why the engineer wouldn't stop the train and have a brakeman go and shoo the dogs off the tracks instead of just running them over! I'm hoping it is just a untrue rumur.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Doggie Wench

Oh, that's so sad . I can't believe the OSPCA isn't helping .
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
but I can't understand why the engineer wouldn't stop the train and have a brakeman go and shoo the dogs off the tracks instead of just running them over! I'm hoping it is just a untrue rumur.
Do you know how hard it is for a train to stop. It takes a very long time..it just does not stop like a car. When I worked as a Animal Protection Officer, I used to get calls for dogs hit by trains. It is sad, but don't blame the train conducter, blame the irrsponible pet owner who lets his dogs run at large.

As for the OSPCA...no comment. I could say a bunch of negative comments about them, but will refrain from doing so.
Old June 12th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I know it takes a long time for a train to stop. But this is a small train that doesn't go very fast as it is going up to Moosenee and the tracks are very bad. Also the train guys know about the dogs and where the dogs are. It's just very sad.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM
-

Apparently the OSPCA in Cochrane is doing something, what I don't know.

Here is a facebook link to the kind souls that are helping out this sad situation.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7511945&v=wall

Anybody living in Northern Ontario who can one way or another help out please contact them.
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Chris,look at all those dogs on the tracks and the little pups
I am so happy to read some wonderful people are doing something to help
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor

What was he doing with that many dogs? Just curious. I don't see how any one person could care for that many properly.
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Jean, would take any stray in, I guess people would drop off dogs saying they didn't want them and he would just take care of them. He lived in the middle of the bush and I mean bush. I don't even know if he had electricity!

There was a fire and he went back in to rescue more puppies and he died leaving all the dogs and puppies to fend for themselves.

The small rescues run by volunteers started joining together to help these dogs. As the OSPCA was doing absolutely nothing, they are a government agency that gets paid to help animals btw.

My town took in 2 dogs..I don't know why they didn't take in a couple more. I guess they don't have enough foster homes.

Chris there is no OSPCA in Cochrane, it is a lady in cochrane that is doing the organizing. The OSPCA is actually pissed that she went up to mile 26 to help the dogs and didn't wait for the OSPCA to get their sh!t together! The OSPCA has still not been up to Mile 26 and this happened May 21st. So if Pamela Had waited all the of dogs would of been dead!

They still can't find a tranquiller gun to get the other dogs that are too scared of the dogs who have been eating the other smaller dogs beceause they had no food and were starving.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I know it's different there, the State I live in here would be very civilised in comparison to where that guy lives, but given that this fellow has added to your shelter woes in a major way it just seems strange that no-one mentions that he should not have kept that many. Obviously they were breeding, they can't have been cared for properly and I don't think the fact that he took in strays is a good thing unless he was having them desexed. It is nonetheless very sad that he died, tragic for this huge pack of dogs and pups.
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:51 AM
-

TQ - My mistake I asked my Daughter last night if there was a branch in Cochrane and was told "no"...from the FB group I got the impression that the OSPCA were in "talks" to see how they could assist. Maybe it is just "talk" though .....Also on FB one poster mentions the plight of the 100+ sled dogs in Quebec last year, that OUR own BenMax was involved with and how smoothly and efficiently that evacuation went.

I'm surprised that the UAN or Noah's Wish have not got involved

Goldfields - I don't think you quite understand the situation....This man lived deep in the bush, with no road access at all. He wasn't a man of means. How so many dogs ended up living with him, I can only surmise that the dogs were strays from trappers originally and they bred causing the population to expand....It isn't a matter of whether it was a good or bad idea to try and care for that many dogs, nobody can care for 200 dogs properly, he did what he could, he cared.

TQ - One option for catching the more timid dogs would be a Ketch Pole. If they could get a Livestock Vet on board that would be great, they have tranquilizer guns.

I that some organization will help out big time
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:42 AM
-

Here is further info on the situation:

http://www.moosoneepuppyrescue.com/
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:06 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
This man lived deep in the bush, with no road access at all. He wasn't a man of means. How so many dogs ended up living with him, I can only surmise that the dogs were strays from trappers originally and they bred causing the population to expand....It isn't a matter of whether it was a good or bad idea to try and care for that many dogs, nobody can care for 200 dogs properly, he did what he could, he cared.(
Chris - I love you!! You said that so eloquently.
No one knows the situation. No one knows how many dogs were dumped on him. But he did care as best he could. For that he should have a hero's burial, not a paupers.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Goldfields - I don't think you quite understand the situation....This man lived deep in the bush, with no road access at all. He wasn't a man of means. How so many dogs ended up living with him, I can only surmise that the dogs were strays from trappers originally and they bred causing the population to expand....It isn't a matter of whether it was a good or bad idea to try and care for that many dogs, nobody can care for 200 dogs properly, he did what he could, he cared.
No, it isn't a matter of whether it was a good or bad idea to care for that many dogs, it's a matter of whether he really cared if he allowed them to breed up into those numbers. I see it no different to me allowing my sheep numbers here to skyrocket. If you want them to have proper care you have to slam the brakes on and keep your numbers down. I got my first cattle dog bitch in 1974, from a high producing line. Litters of 10 to 12 pups. Imagine how many I could have by now if I hadn't controlled the situation.
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:21 AM
-

Goldfields - You are entitled to your opinion, I don't have to respect it ....Did you read the link I posted? If you did and continued further and clicked the journal link, more of the story is told.

I personally do not agree with you breeding your "bitches" (in fact I find the word "bitch" offensive). IMO, by continuing to express that he should have controlled the situation, then you clearly do not understand his situation.
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

I have followed the link now, read the part of Our Journal about this man, and I think no differently. You tell me where this was going to end up if he hadn't died? Just how big could that pack have become? If the public there condone what he's done then you shouldn't complain about how many dogs end up in shelters. We are all going to die, I don't think it's fair on others to leave this sort of chaos for others to deal with.
And hey, I live in a world where the female canine is a bitch and the male is a dog. At shows here we refer to Baby Puppy Bitches, Junior Bitches, Intermediate Bitches , Open Bitch, Challenge Bitch etc., it is not a derogatory swear word here. And I feel sorry for you if you are so easily offended by canine terminology. And I mean that literally, because to quote from Harold R. Spira's book "Canine Terminology" ... Bitch - A female of the canine species. I'm sorry, but being censored for calling a bitch a bitch seems funny on a pet forum.
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Not to take this off topic because this thread is about a caring man who did all he could to help dogs uncared for but - in all due respect - this forum is made up of a large majority of folks who are very pro s/n. Our vernacular is to call our pets male or female. Not bitches, studs, or neutures. I guess it's all part of our pack mentality.
Now - back to the point at hand. This man probably did not have the monies needed to fix the dogs in his care. Who's to say even if he did try to give some of them to others or to the organization that is supposed to care - OSPCA or the nearest shelter - that he would not have ended up with the same numbers again. Not by breeding but by idiots dropping off unwanted dogs. THAT is the problem in OUR country. THAT is what makes me ashamed to be Canadian on occasion.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

How about you do a search of this forum and tell me if I am not being censored here for using a correct term that many have used before me? 12 pages of links to the word bitch at least, I didn't bother going further than that.
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:26 AM
-

Goldfields - I am not here to judge the Man whether it was right or wrong what he did. The people trying to save these dogs need help. The Man is dead. Right or wrong doesn't enter the equation.

As far as censorship on the use of the word "bitch", I am fully aware of terms used, but I personally find the word offensive.
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
And I feel sorry for you if you are so easily offended by .
Don't waste your pity on me Goldfields, pity the poor dogs that are left on that property.
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

We agree on the fact that the dogs need help, it bothers me that in 10 years time it could have been a thousand. Unless a parvo or distemper epidemic killed most of them.
As for you finding the word bitch offensive, that really is a terrible shame. It's an everyday term here and in no way offensive to dog enthusiasts, vets, pet people etc.. Seems like you've let it solely become a swear word or derogatory in your mind.
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
As for you finding the word bitch offensive, that really is a terrible shame. It's an everyday term here and in no way offensive to dog enthusiasts, vets, pet people etc.. Seems like you've let it solely become a swear word or derogatory in your mind.
You don't know me from adam Goldfields, but you have completely thrown this topic off course, that to me is the terrible shame.

I neither find the word "bitch" a swear word or derogatory, it is far more simple than that, "I do not like referring to a female dog as a bitch".

I have no intentions of discussing "these" issues further......Anything constructive that you might have to say on the plight of these poor dogs is more than welcome.
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What a horrible situation for these poor dogs , it just makes me cry.

Admittedly, I didn't read the whole journal as I don't have time, but did read the history. Why wouldn't the SPCA help out his man and at least neutered the males , why, why, why???? It would have been the least they could have done, if not for this wonderful man, but for the large number of pups that would be born and would not have been properly taken care of.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM
-

Quote:
I neither find the word "bitch" a swear word or derogatory, it is far more simple than that, "I do not like referring to a female dog as a bitch".
Same here Chris. The people who refer to their females as bitches , are usually people who breed. Mostly people who see their "bitches" as only that , dogs that reproduce. And that's a shame. I guess I'm too "pro spay / neuter" ...

Now from what I read , this guy tried to do his best with what he had. It's not HIS fault if people kept on dumping dogs at his site.
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I just think the focus right now should be on those poor dogs and puppies,someone owned the dogs at one time and obviously dumped them like so much garbage.
This man certainly had good intensions and it seems to me,nobody was helping him when he was alive,no Humane Society o SPCA.
Now the surviving dogs and puppies need help and I am happy it seems like they are getting it
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

We have our share of hoarders here too, chico2, no doubt full of good intentions, but because looking after vast numbers is beyond two people, let alone one, what generally happens is that the dogs become disease ridden, injured in fights, totally matted if they are long coated dogs, and of course a lot have temperament problems. And here, because it's not a 7 hour trip into the wilderness to do it, our RSPCA do act. They swoop in and confiscate the dogs, putting those to sleep that they think they have to. Finding homes for the rest.
If dogs have been able to be rescued, it means that those male dogs he was given could have been taken out of there, doesn't it? Instead he let them breed. More poor neglected dogs, which is very sad. Love4himies asked

Why wouldn't the SPCA help out his man and at least neutered the males , why, why, why????

Good question isn't it? Maybe he should have dumped those males on their doorstep, like people do here. Tie the dog to their fence and walk away. It is preferable to them reproducing.

Frenchy, to quote Chris21711, you don't know me from Adam. In this country, and most likely yours too, you could not show dogs without they are entire. And that is something I wondered last night, what do the dog exhibitors there call the girl doggies, what do the vets call them, what classes are in the show schedules? You insult every show person with this

Mostly people who see their "bitches" as only that , dogs that reproduce.

Tell you what, if they are breeders as well they do a far better job of caring for their girl doggies than this guy, they do not have unplanned matings , unwanted litters, and most have lists of people waiting for pups to become available. I put an order in and waited 7 years for my red cattle dogs to be bred, and I didn't breed on with either, regardless of how good they were. In some breeds a top show specimen can be so hard to get that when you get one you certainly don't waste it by breeding with it.

chico2, the dogs that can't be helped are those poor devils left running wild and suffering so much and that makes this whole thing very bad IMO.