Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old September 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Question I have a problem with my rabbit after the surgery

A month ago i spayed my female rabbit. For 5 days we gave her antibiotics and after 10 days from surgery we pulled out her stitches. After a day we saw that a little hole was made. The vet that made the surgery told us to put Baneocin powder(I hope you have it in your country). The hole was covered with a crust, but after a couple a days it fell and under it was full of purulence. We took her to another vet and she gave us a cream that scar(i don't know how to say it) to put on her for a week. The cream include: marigold, camomile, rattle and comfrey. Is it good for something or not? In our country there aren't many vet that know about rabbits and in my city is only one... the one that made her like this.
Please if someone knows something tell me about it.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Is there still a hole? You need to keep her mid section wrapped so it stays clean. I'm not sure about that cream, I've never heard of it. Can you post a picture of her belly?
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Today when i put cream an her i saw that the scar looks verry good. It isn't swollen anymore, it's dry, has no pus and it almost looks like it should normal be. The vet said that the cream helps tissue grow. I hope it does and the hole will close.
The hole is still there but is most like it stick to the skin from inside.
I can't take photos because i can barely hold her to put cream on her. She doesn't like to be turned with her belly up.
Here she is:
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's a cutie!

It sounds like there might have been an infection in the incision. Watch it closely to make sure the swelling/heat doesn't come back--if it does or if your rabbit seems to be lethargic or off her feed, you may need more antibiotics. If the hole is superficial (and I think that's what you're saying about it sticking to the skin?) and the infection has been healed, then it should close up on its own over time.

Good luck with your bunny, valy.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Valy - it is so refreshing to see someone that values their bunny so much. I hope that this regulates itself timely and all will be well once again.

Hats off to you for cherishing this little one with such love and respect.
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Yes, we love her hery much. We recently both a boy for her. I'l open a new thread for him because i have some little problems with him too.
Old September 27th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Good news. The little hole it's closed. It looks very good. Monday we're going again to the vet. Hope she'll say that she's fine.
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That is good news, valy! for the vet trip!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 27th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
That is good news, valy! for the vet trip!
I hope so . Thanks
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:55 PM

I went today with her to the vet. She said that the scar is looking very well, it's healing and that we should keep puting cream on her.

Last edited by valy; September 29th, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I came back to ask for your help again because other problems appeared.
The scar from the surgery is healed but on the inside she has made a hard lump. The vet said that is normal, it's a reaction from the empty space that was between her skin and the muscle but she doesn't know what to give her. She said that to dogs and cats she gives iodine tincture but she doesn't recomand it to rabbits. Do you know something else that i coud give her?

I have another problem with her that i realy hope that you could help me. From the day i bought her (when she was two weeks), her poop was a little soft a couple of times per week. After some time she started to poop every day mostly in the mornings. We asked the vet and she told us to take some normal and soft poop to test them to see if there are any kind of vermin(pests, i don't know the exact word). The tests came out and they said that there aren't any vermin and her poops are normal. They gave us to give her some medicine named here "Finidiar" (1/2 tablet a day for 10 days). One tablet contain: Bismuth subnitrate 300 mg, Kaolin and natural extracts 250 mg. In the past two weeks her poop started to be softer then it used to be and her bottom is dirty and full of poop (this happens only in the morning, after this her poops are normal). Today is the 7th day with "Finidiar" and nothing changed.
If someone can help us we'll be very grateful.

Ps: I don't think that is from her food because we change it many times(we thought too that the food could be the problem but it wasn't) and she is eating a lot of hay.
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Are you feeding her anything other than hay? I'd stop the medicine and have a good look at her food. I hope a 'rabbit expert' will be able to help you with this.

The 'lump' is probably scar tissue from the operation, I wouldn't worry about it. If it was anything serious, the vet would have said something.

Last edited by badger; October 20th, 2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Thank you for your reply.
She is eating a lot of hay. I have 3 kinds of hay from Vitakraft VitaVerde: the one with dandelion, the one with wild rose and the alpine meadow hay.
I give her some of these but for regular ones:

I give her 1-2 drops a day(not only this flavor):

Other mixed pallets that i don't remember the producers name.
A couple of dried fruits from Padovan once a week:

Once a week some Herbal Treats from Padovan(the ones with malva and mint)
And some dry bread from time to time.
Veggies and fruits i stoped giving them to her because i thought that could be the problem, but they aren't. The same with the drops too. I don't give her carrots because she doesn't like them.
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's a thought - are you and your vet both aware that rabbits produce something called "night droppings"? They are a softer consistency than the normal daytime droppings, and the rabbits will actually eat them, getting some nutrients that were not fully utilized the first time around. Is it possible that the "soft poop" you mentioned could just be normal night droppings?

Here are some links that may be helpful:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

http://www.rabbitweb.net/litter-training.asp Scroll down to the part about wet droppings

http://www.allsands.com/pets/smallan...cec_rem_gn.htm

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; October 20th, 2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:04 AM

Thank you. I know about them, so called cecotropes that are small, soft poos that look like a bunch of grapes. I'm woried because only one poo is the size of a grape and she make like 2-3 or even 4 and she's dirty at her bottom every morning (not at night).
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I think we're talking about cleanliness here, more than anything else
And I question withdrawing all vegetables from a rabbit's diet for only that reason.

You might find some tips on this site. If the right vegetables are introduced slowly, there shouldn't be a problem.

http://carrotcafe.com/f/veggies.html
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:44 AM

I don't think that it's about cleanliness because i clean her cage every day and since the surgery i keaped her on towels that are changed every day. Today i put her on woodshavings and she is a lot happier. She was kind of stressed and sad lately.
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM

I have a new question.
I heard that the male after the neuter surgery won't do naughty things again, they won't "mate" but I heard the other part of the storry too(that they will still do). Which is true? I'm asking this because I started to let them meet since two days ago and he wanted to do naughty things with her and I was afraid that the vet didn't do the surgery well.
I'm very glad that they get along with each other because i heard that chances are rare that they get along from the begining. She likes to lay down with him, but he keeps jumping all over the place.
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad he is feeling better. I think if you want him to stop mounting her, you would probably have to get him neutered and even then he still might be naughty . It's really a form of play and quite normal, unless it is aggressive and the female is getting stressed. The important thing is, she cannot get pregnant.
Where do you live, Valy, if I can ask?

PS I hope they don't eat the wood shavings. Could be a bit hard on their stomachs. Better a carrot. Rabbits do need something hard to chew on, to keep their teeth filed down.

Last edited by badger; October 25th, 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I'm glad he is feeling better. I think if you want him to stop mounting her, you would probably have to get him neutered and even then he still might be naughty . It's really a form of play and quite normal, unless it is aggressive and the female is getting stressed. The important thing is, she cannot get pregnant.
Where do you live, Valy, if I can ask?

PS I hope they don't eat the wood shavings. Could be a bit hard on their stomachs. Better a carrot. Rabbits do need something hard to chew on, to keep their teeth filed down.
I said that he is neutered and if it's still normal to keep mounting her because someone told me that after he's neutered he won't mount her anymore. He won't do naughty things anymore. She was spayed too at the same time with him.
I'm from Romania/Bucharest (Is my english that bad that you are asking?)

Ps: they don't eat the wood shavigs.
Old October 25th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I still wouldn't worry about it, they won't actually mate. Does it offend you or something? It's normal! Maybe it will get less over time. I know when cats are neutered, it sometimes takes awhile for the hormones to drop. And then gradually, they lose interest.
Give it more time (my motto).

Your English is fine!
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:53 PM

It didn't offend me. I just wanted to know if the vet did his job or not because I don't trust the vets from here(I'm sure that the vets from other parts of the world, like yours, are more dedicated to their job).

Thank you.