Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM

puppy vs all life stages

I know my opinion, but I want some feed back or your opinions on feeding puppy formulas vs giving a puppy, all life stages. To me it is important to feed the puppy formulas since they are formulated for a puppies needs. EX Calcium and phosphorus levels . Are there any other considerations that would be in favor, or not, to feeding puppy food vs all life stages. Your opinions are appreciated Thank you in advance !
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:22 AM

I never fed puppy food. I just make sure to feed a lower protein around 21-24%.
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:33 AM

I know it may seem much better to feed the life stages and it can be quite a controversial topic but, of the knowledge I have been taught and read up on the "puppy" formulas are more for marketing and peace of mind sake. As you said though I usually look at calcium, etc. levels especially for bigger dogs.
Roxy- 4 year old Sheltie/Pom
Angel- 12 year old Persian (deseased Dec 6, 2008)

An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:45 PM

I have fed puppy formula in the past however alot of dog food out there seems to be crap and when you compare ingredients some so called puppy food fall flat, I just switched both my dogs one 7 years old and on 6 months old to Acana Grasslands grainfree all life stages formula and they both seem to like it and seem to be doing well on it.

Sophie - Dauchsund cross beagle - 7 years old
Storm - American Cocker Spaniel - 6 months old

Last edited by amber777; November 13th, 2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: adding to post
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Had a conversation with my favorite pet food expert this morning. She has a 9 week old puppy and 2 adult dogs. The adults are fed Evo and the puppies California Natural Puppy. Her rationale was that the Evo was formulated for adult dogs especially calcium & phosphorous levels and the puppy food well it's for puppies or dogs who need to add weight. She did go on to mention any all life stages food is fine. I learned something new today.
Old November 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
-

From http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html ....

Quote:
You should always feed puppies foods that are approved either for puppies or for all life stages. If you feed a food that is approved for adult dogs only, there will be inadequate amounts of protein, and improper levels of calcium and other nutrients. Large Breed Puppy Formulas may not be the answer, as they often replace protein with carbohydrates. Protein and carbohydrates contain exactly the same number of calories per gram, so reducing protein in favor of carbohydrates provides less needed nutrition without reducing calories. High protein diets are preferred, as puppies need protein to thrive and studies have shown that high protein does not lead to developmental problems, but high fat diets may contribute too many calories, leading to rapid growth.
And, you should only feed high protein grain-free kibble to puppies if the brand has a specific puppy formula.
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Agility addict

I feed raw to all my dogs. I know many breeders (really good breeders) who have fed raw before it became common.

Raw is only ~30ish percent protein. UNLESS you dry it. Then its about 50%.

This is why I will not feed a kibble that is less than 45% to any dog. The whole high protein being a problem is not true. Yes some vets say that.. but they are the same vets who learn about nutrition from the SD reps and believe that peanut hulls and corn are great for dogs. Unless the dog has a specific medical issue an appropriate level of protein is never going to hurt.

I would be more concerned about the quality of the protein and its source. I would never feed a kibble that used 4D meat (dead, downed, diseased or dying) These animals can be full of medication and nastyness.

Do we feed special human food to children? No we just feed them very good quality healthy food. How much healthier would we be if we ate the same quality of foods that toddlers and young children eat? Same with dogs. Most puppy lines are of a higher quality than the normal adult formula, but they are still made with low grade ingredients in many cases.

IMO you should just feed the best quality food that you can find.
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:22 PM

My friend made me notice this.While all life stages may be ok for puppies maybe it isn't all right for adults. The calcium and phosphorus levels may be to high for adults in some formulas. Just a thought . Thanks for the replys