Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM

Unhappy Big problem with my hamster baby :(

I know this is a lot that I have written, but I just wanted you to know the whole story. Please read it all.
So, my hamster had 5 babies about 2 months ago. I took very very good care of the mother during the pregnancy to make sure both her and her babies would be healthy. When she had them they were big and healthy. None of them had health problems and none of them died or were eaten. Though they were adorable and I loved each of them, I knew I would have to give them away. I called the pet store and they said they would take them when they were 5 weeks old. I asked if they would start mating by then, and they told me no. Well, that was a big lie. A week before I gave them to the pet store, I was laying in bed trying to get some sleep and I see something out of the corner of my eye and the BABY IS MATING WITH THE MOTHER! I freaked out and I was very angry because the pet store told me that they weren't old enough to mate, I separated them as quickly as possible into the extra cage, females with the mother and males in the other cage together. they could eat and drink on their own so I wasn't worried about them not being with the mother. I decided to keep one of the girl hamsters too, because she was cute so when I brought them to the pet store I only brought 4 and the girl was with the mother with both cages linked. I knew she wasn't going to have the babies for a couple of weeks so i wasnt going to worry untill then. So again, I took very good care of her. I made sure she was well fed, clean cage lots of water and some treats. A week later, she has 15 babies, all premature. I'm not sure what caused this. The other hasmster was still in the cage with her and it was just a mess. The mother hamster was holding down the older baby so she couldnt get at the newborns and I separated them as quickly as possible. I knew with her having that many babies that some of them might not be as healthy as the others and she might eat them. But she didn't. 3 and a half weeks past, and i noticed that one of them wasnt growing like the others. The others were strong and energetic, they ran on the wheel all the time. When I held them I could barely keep them in my hands because they're so energetic. But when I held the other one, he is weak, and can barely walk. His eyes aren't even open yet. While the others are running and playing on the wheel, he cant even spin it. The others have a beautiful thick coat of fur and he's barely growing any. I don't know what to do, I want to help it so badly, I can't even tell the sex because he is so tiny. I tried calling my vet today, but they were not open, I've been googling what it could be all day but have found nothing. I dont know if he is suffering or if hes just growing slower than the others. I'm hoping I can get some answers here. Please help

Tags
babies, babys, hamsters, pups, sickness