Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 13th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You know I think it's very simple in life, you treat others the way you would like to be treated yourself.

My parents always instilled in me to give to those in need and who were needing. Whether it be a shoulder to cry on, a warm meal, a hug or more....

There are times when we feel as if we need or want to do more, yet we are bound and tied by things and people that stand in our way.

One can feel knocked down, stepped on, trampled and pushed aside, fogotten about...

But if you believe in humanity and decency something something ...a sign a feeling a belief will turn it around for you!

You never can give up on what may become of the future, for you are unable to know yourself until you get there!

Strength not only comes from within, it comes from a community and from those you surround yourself with. Keep surrounding yourself with positive and like minded individuals will help guide you through the 'storm' so to speak!

I try to live by example and select those who live by the same thread or strand... that you treat yourself with dignity and hold your head high, but always be humbled by what you have and what others don't...giving thanks for what you have instead of have not keeps your mind and heart warm not cold!

After all aren't warm hearts really easy to spot

Last edited by Luba; September 13th, 2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: too many typoooos
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba,beautifully said :love: thank you!
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm at work and I just had to sneak a peak to update myself on this thread. Wow! Luba! You have a great way with words and expressed what I'm sure we all feel but are not able to verbalize as well. I have to close up the library now, so won't be able to look at any other threads. I just couldn't miss an update on Pags!

Pags, your positive attitude and beautiful spirit have made my evening. You're one heck of a fine example of what this country was built on! You did say it was ok to ask questions? I'd love to hear about your rescue. How are the critters doing?
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I just wanted to hug everybody!!!

pags internet connection isn't very stable and she's so very busy hoping to get back into her house and with all the children, and trying to get daily supplies she may not be on very much. She would love to help answer any of your questions I'm sure.... and will be on when she can!

The critters from what I know are all fine. Judge has a fear now of water (not a big surprise) the kittens eyes are open and they are wandering around with mama cat.

The children are restless and bored but the boys school has been wiped out and they have no school during the day as of yet.

She 'may' be able to move back into her 'gutted' home within the next few days if all goes well. There was an incredible amount of mold, I'm sure you could imagine.

Aside from that I'm sure pags has an enormous amount of stories and feelings to share. She is a great woman isn't she!!
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Luba, this may sound odd but have you considered writing to Dr.Phil about them. I watched one of his shows yesterday and he's doing a lot to help. This internet friends angle may be something his producers would be interested in and it might get Pags a lot more financial aid? Just a suggestion.
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I'm brand new, but was following thie thread for a few days. I'm soo sorry to hear that one of your members was hit by this devastation...
Pags and family, keep the faith, you survived the storm, you can and will rebuild.
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I've wrote to many individuals, companies, organizations, media over the last two weeks.

Just being honest and blunt here, writing to Dr. Phil would be a waste of time. There are thousands of stories like pags and many even much worse then hers. The producers of the show are hands on in communities and they hand pick the stories they want to publish. I'm running out of steam so if you want to email Dr. Phil bmd please go right ahead. I am channeling my energy where I think I may get a positive response, not a shot in the dark. Anyone else is more then welcome to pitch in and try out their own ideas..

I've had no luck in securiing anyone able to take a delivery to Mississippi. I can't drive long distances or I would have taken it myself days ago

If anyone has any contacts to forward to me that would be useful please let me know. If anyone would make the trip to Mississippi to deliver donations from Toronto let me know. I have many people wanting to donate lots of things but I've had to tell them I can't take them all, I have no way to get it there.

People are forgetting and are turning numb to this disaster and that is just horrible for those going through it. Every day I spend hours on the phone both local and long distance trying to convince SOMEONE to help, I've gotten NOWHERE! Everyone is oh so sorry but nobody is willing to actually step up and say hey I'll 'help' not just 'suggest'. I've had a lot of 'suggestions' though, yes but nobody wanting to really help. Actually I can't say nobody I have had some offers of assistance in collecting baby clothes and making a few calls etc..

I post on Freecycle, (some of you may know about it) and I get DENIED by most of the Freecycle sites to post asking for help!

I tried to get pags a gift card for WalMart and they wouldn't let me do it!

I spent one and half hours on the phone to WalMart in Mississippi yesterday and countless calls the day before actually and literally begging them to take my credit card number down so I could get them a gift card, and they can get supplies.

THEY REFUSED....the reason it's the companies position 'not' to do that!

WHAT?? I try any and every angle I can think of and like a robotic WalMart employee 'I'm sorry the company policy is not to do that' So I try to pay for it ON LINE because walmart.com has gift cards you can order. So I say okay well I'll pay for it on line and then they can pick it up at the customer service desk at the store because they dont have regular mail delivery to send it to their house and they need things 'now' well......NOPE they can't do that either....

hmm so I call long distance again this time, to the gift card order desk, wait on hold music for 24 minutes and ... NOPE they can't help me either, company doesn't want to do that ..(are u following the trend)

So I ask for a corporate office number. The lady said she has a toll free number, and I explained to her hey I can't use that from Canada can you give the local calling number...she said she didn't have it. So I said okay well, can you put me on hold and call the toll free number and ask them? She actually HUFFED into the phone at me, and then HUNG UP on me!

I'm not kidding...So I call back (again long distance) and ofcourse wait until someone is able to take my call another 15 minutes, get someone else.

I get repeated some line that you know is prewritten for them to say.. "We are not set up to provide that service" UH DUH ! Even when I asked for a corporate office number that wasnt' toll free, they 'Are not able to provide that' either. LMHO

Okay so I keep searching ON LINE for a corporate number and I do find one...I call and 'they are not able to assist me' there either.

They tell me as everyone has to 'Western Union' the money.
Okay so I said , Yes this has been an option except ALL of the Western Unions in her area are wiped out. And when they get set up it will cost $30 American money to send her the funds. Money they could desperately use.

So I call back the WalMart in her town and say, okay what if she gives me a list of things to buy and I pay for it on my credit card if you can't do this 'gift card' thing.. 'Sorry maam we can't do that either'

Now this is going on two days dealing with WalMart's inadequacies and lack of compassion. Don't let those nice TV commercials fool you!

Then finally I say enough, they just won't do it and thats that! Disappointing considering it's the only store with things that pags needs as well as others.

I did find a Western Union that is open but they are waiting for supplies and can't give out any payments until they get them delivered, when? Who knows....we'll just have to wait! There is another Western Union in another part of the state that is open but hey it costs money and gas to get there doesn't it!

So, thats pretty much the way it has been with almost everyone. WalMart is just the example. Every other company and organization I deal with is the same way.

No offence to any suggestions anyone may make but unless you are really involved trying to do something, you have no idea the amount of run around you get....you may want to try it sometime (but first have a drink HAHA)!!

You would think compassion would play a roll but in most cases it doesn't.

The people that do mean well and those that do want to truly help are few and far between. On that note, if any of you have any contacts who can ship donations of goods to them for free to Mississippi or anyone want to volunteer to drive it down. Please let me know!!
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I will make no further suggestions. Thank you.
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sorry if you took offence but I feel to say it like it is. If you truly think Dr. Phil will help then please spend the time to send the email yourself.

Suggestions are wonderful but offers to help are few and far between.

It's only 'me' and I can't do everything myself, I am only one person trying to do the best I can. I'm sorry bmd if your feelings were hurt by my feeling the email to dr phil would be a waste of time, but it's simply just how I feel.

It takes so much time to do all of this and I only have so many hours in a day, there is only one 'me'. Please feel free to email dr phil if you feel his show will help!! I'm not stopping you

Again what is really needed right now is transport of goods and donations.
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:03 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Pags,
I am so sorry I haven't had time to write any words of encouragement to you and your beautiful family. Nevertheless, you have been in my thoughts and prayers.
I was so happy to hear you and your family, Judge and momma cat and kittens all made it out alive and well(as well as you could be in your situation). I was shocked to hear that you were staying home through Katrina and I really expected the worst. It was great relief to hear you all made it out alive. You truly have angels looking out for you and your family. You have been given a second chance on life, and it will make you even stronger than what you were before. All that was lost, were nothing more than material things. You haven't lost what is most important - life. You have your husband and your beautiful children(a brand new one at that!) and your puppy and Momma cat and her kittens.
Take the time to grieve what you have lost and let all of your feelings out(this goes for your hubby and kids too). It is all part of the healing process and it can't begin until you have dealt with what you are feeling now. Look to the future, don't look back at the past. You can't change the past, but you can change the future!!
What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger as a person and as a family. Things can't get any worse, from here on in, they can only get better......and it WILL get better. Whatever it is that you need, just ask. We are all here to help you!!!!!!

Glad to see your back!!

Sherry
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Luba, how far away from Gulfport is Pags?
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Quote:
In-Store and On-Line Assistance

On Wednesday, Wal-Mart made available its gift registry kiosks so anyone displaced by the hurricane can sign up for items they need. This allows people across the country to buy items for individuals in the same way that they’d buy a gift for someone who had registered with this Wal-Mart service for a wedding.
Hmmm a bit confusing, how to the people get the "gifts"?

Luba, which store is closest to Pags, I am in the mood for a telephone war.
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

WalMart is full of balongne

They aren't helping or they would have offered some assistance to me this week. I tried everything including begging but it does not work.

It's not just customer service staff I spoke to either it's management.

I'll pm you kimbilly.
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

The Joys of Walmart

Well I just called Walmart and after a few people transfers I eventually got on to a manager.
I told him I was calling from Canada and that I wanted to help a family that had been effected by Katrina, he then said (straight away) "Is this Luba?". Surprised I said no and he responded with "oh, well then this is the second call I have got from Canada!"

Does he not realise that there are people up here wanting to help too??

Anyway, he has agreed to help out!! So lets hope this is the start to getting Pags some supplies.

She needs all the help she can get
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I am THRILLED and I don't know 'why' they all of a sudden changed their minds to help.

I have been sitting here waiting for a return call from the manager that never came today (thus you see my frustrated post from earlier).

Apparently they have some sort of their own money transfer system similar to that of western union within the US walmarts. They charge a fee as does western union and my only thought is MONEY. They wanted to get the extra money through the money transfer service (their own I think).

Kimbilly thank you for making that call, I don't know what came over them. Whether they realized it's money loss for them or whether someone actually has compassion. Either way, I"m greatful you got a positive answer. Thank you!
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Kitty Consort

Way to go, Kimbilly!! Kudos to you for making this call and getting them to agree!
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Quote:
Way to go, Kimbilly!! Kudos to you for making this call and getting them to agree!
Thanks Shamrock, but I really think the Kudos should go to Luba. I am pretty sure it was her collection of calls that made them decide they should help out....

Either way it is good that this is now an option.

Old September 14th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes you're all probably thinking I'm a nutcase LOL and she all of a sudden makes one call and they go OKAY!! LOL it's very funny!! Oh I have to laugh at it cause if I don't then I'll go nuts!

I'm trying to reach pags to see if she can or wants to go to the WalMart today. Not able to reach her so will have to wait.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

WTG Ladies!!!! *Hugs* GREAT work!!!

I just wanted to share something.. I'm not sure how this link will work.. but it's worth a shot...

THis is CNN in Pags' town... the devistation is undiscribable... And the worst part is all the focus is being held towards New Orleans.. there are other families and towns that have suffered just as much if not more...

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2005/katrina/rescue.relief/

Click on Biloxi and then scroll overtop of the cameras and one of them is PASCAGOULA, MISSISSIPPI (The camera on the far right side) where Pags is from..

Pags, we are thinking about you! I pray that you and your family are able to get your lives back together! I hope that you're able to find comfort in all the support you have here! *hugs*
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thanks Sam I wasn't able to get the video to work but I can imagine. Maybe it's just busy right now!

I haven't been able to reach Anita this afternoon the phones are wonky! The Walmart closes at 7pm for curfew so it will have to be tomorrow tomorrow there's always tomorrow! LOL
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:32 PM

it's true though- Dr Phil has what 7 million viewers a day? And they just did a couple of shows on it so the letters would pour in... Maybe if we all wrote one...
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I do know that we have been getting updates by my company as to what can be done for people in affected areas (LA, AL and MO). I deal with US customers and pension cheques. We are being told that UPS is making limited deliveries, as well, areas where they can't get to, they are holding things at the local station.

As for the Dr. Phil thing, it might work. The unique angle is all the people pulling together on the board. If someone has the time, it's worth a shot.
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Another day full of calls both local and long distance, emails and all were negative. Nobody is willing to help transport donation of goods to Mississippi.

Though with all the negativity there is a bright side. We all can just make this lovely family care packages and send them down to them!

Again if you are interested in sending care packages please pm me for further information. Pags (Anita) may be off line for awhile I don't believe she has internet access right now.

I've got many things together and will be sending them boxes this week.

Please, if you can do the same. They really need our help. Get together with your friends, family and coworkers. Go do a little shopping buy some things you know they will need and some things for the kids as well. The most important thing is to make the package with love, so whatever you put into it it will reflect your care and concern for them and your love for anothers need.

Unless I get a call or some miracle happens I may be unable to get a truck down to them. I'm almost all out of options!

Again, if any of you have a contact that can do this or assist please, do your best....make that phone call, get in touch with that person you know who may be able to help and explain the situation.

Where there is a will there is a way!
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba you're working so hard and we're all so proud of you. Pags must know what a wonderful friend she has in you. Please take care of yourself too Luba, I worry you're getting so involved you're not taking care of your needs as well. Relax and let it work itself out. It will! You're doing so wonderful don't let the little setbacks get you down. I hope it's not too late to get to the TD Bank. Will be there on Saturday with a donation for Pags and family. Not nearly what my heart would like to give, but all that we can muster for now. Wouldn't you know both dogs to the vet this week and the car broke down, but still I'm grateful and know how much worse we could be doing. Anyhow, Luba just wanted to tell you not to forget to take care of you. Pags will understand if you take an hour off you know I did see the video and it's unbelievable. I hope Pags and family have gas and can get to the grounds where the supplies are now.
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Dog Dancer thats very sweet to say...I'm okay really I am!!

Yes it all gets frustrating but I realize who am I to complain while I sit in my home with all things accessible to me? The only frustration is getting things to them. Which now I don't want to wait for any offers to take things....if it comes at a later date thats great but right now a few things I could send by mail would help them if even put a smile on someones face!

Thank you for being sweet!!
Old September 15th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A very good update

Just now, just this very moment........we have success with WalMart!

Thanks to the donations raised they have a lovely WalMart gift card and can buy many things they need.

I spoke to them when they were in the store and with the assistant store manager. I asked the store manager to please give her a hug for me since I can't do it myself.

I think everyone cried!

KimBilly THANK YOU for that call you made yesterday!! This has meant a world of difference to this family right now.

Pags wanted me to thank each and every one of you who have donated and supported her and her family. She is so very greatful of the care and compassion being shown to her and her family.

They can buy much needed necessities that they've been doing without for over two weeks now!!

God Bless you all from and to everyone involved!!
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I just got off the phone with pags (Anita)

They are starting to receive some mail delivery YAH! Care packages are MUCh needed PLEASE send me a pm for the information.
She and hubby tried desperately to get the washer and dryer to work but they uhm went up in smoke, as did all the other appliances and electronics. The refrigerator will you believe it, is sorta working right now. So they have a cool place to put their food! Isn't that amazing.

There are piles of debris and contents of everyones home sitting along the street. They have been picked up 3x so far but as soon as they are gone there are more piles and contents, of folks lives that take their place. Everything just tossed out as simple as that!

She's holding up, she is a strong woman with the deepest devotion to her family. I am so very proud of her and her husband, they are remarkable individuals.

They are happy to be home, what's left of it at this point...but happy to have somewhere to feel grounded to begin 'again'.

The boys are still unable to go to school that will still be weeks away. They are keeping themselves amused as best they can. Miss Yvonne the 2yr old is best buddies with Judge, they really are the cutest....follow eachother everywhere.

Mama cat has settled a little and her 4 kitties are doing fine!

The donations made to help pay for the WalMart gift card will help them buy so many needed things, although only a small drop in the big bucket of replacement it IS helping.
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Care Packages

Luba, What kind of stuff are you looking at putting in the care packages? Do we have a list of things needed that can be mailed?
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You name it they need it, to be honest!

Whatever you think they can use, they'll need.

Anything from baby clothes and receiving blankets and stuff for a two year old girl and 7 and 8 yr old boys to things for Anita and hubby Dave....
to household things like new face cloths and some linens and towels, dish cloths..anything, kitchen utensils, bathroom things, first aid supplies, omg...the list is endless...really endless.

I can make a list but if I say 'everything' that pretty much covers it Kim.

I'm not trying to be vague but really thats the brunt of it!!
Old September 16th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If you haven't decided on giving yet or if you've been reluctant to send money. There are some other alternatives available now that the area is receiving mail delivery.

For home repair and many other things
Lowes Home Improvement is located in Pags (Anita's) community of Pascagoula.

If you would like to buy an all occassion gift card for them through Lowes
Please visit this site:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...=home&pad=true

The cards start as low as $5.00

WalMart gift cards start as low as $10.00
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...gsp?cat=130663

Now that other options are available it may be easier for folks to help out a little bit. Remember a $10 or $20 gift certificate can really help out. Especially if you are trying to replace the entire contents of your home.

There are other options as well. If you for instance belong to a collectors club program like AIRMILES www.airmiles.ca then you can use your airmiles to purchase gifts on line and send them to the Thomers. Of course there are certain gift cards or certificates which they can't use in the U.S so you'd need to select an appropriate gift. Click on the 'rewards' section.

They lost 'all' of their cookware and these are some current Airmiles specials I just found:

T-Fal Optimal 2-Piece Frypan Set FOR 375 reward miles
Manufacturer's Model Num 51926
AIR MILES Item Number 64110914
Value and performance are delivered in this fabulous ensemble from T-Fal. These 20 cm and 26 cm frypans feature T-Fal's patented "Thermospot" technology.

Lagostina® Classic Original 8-Piece Cookware Set
1,600 reward miles

Bionaire ENVIROKLEANTM Air Cleaner
900 reward milesManufacturer's Model Num BAP1422-CN
AIR MILES Item Number 6409773
Help make the air you breathe as clean as possible! Ideal for rooms up to 180 sq.ft **this is a great one because of the contamination in the house**

Northern Feather Night Dreams Queen Size 4 Pillow Pack850 reward miles
Lay your head down on pure comfort! The Northern Feather Night Dreams Queen Size 4 Pillow Pack includes anti-microbial and anti-bacterial ball fibre, 290 threat count, 100% cotton,
They lost ALL their linens and things.*great idea*

Koolatron 12 Volt Portable Power with 260PSI Air Compressor 725 reward miles (NEAT THING THIS IS great for emergencies!!)
The Koolatron 12 Volt Portable Power with 260PSI Air Compressor is an essential tool for every family. You'll find many uses for it. For example, it can jumpstart a car or supply power to a cell phone, lights or any other 12-volt accessory. Great for family vacations! Take a look at what this can do:
- It's a portable power source for 12V accessories
- Recharges at home or in your vehicle and is powerful enough to jumpstart vehicles
- 900 amps peak power / 400 amps boost power
- 17 amp hour capacity (can power a Kooratron Cooler for 3 to 4 hours)
- Sealed rechargeable maintenance free battery
- Emergency light with on/off switch
- 260 PSI Compressor with pressure gage
- Battery power level meter
- 12 volt portable power in bright yellow case with integral handle and with attached jumper cables

If you have a lot of miles and want to help this is a great package
because they lost all their tools to fix the house up, every power tool was ruined.

Skil 18 Volt Cordless 4 Tool combo Kit
3,100 reward miles
Model Num SK288716
AIR MILES Item Number 64410678
Every household, and business owner, needs the Skil 18 Volt Cordless 4 Tool combo Kit. Includes:- 2-Speed Drill/Driver w/Stud Finder- 7 1/4'' Circular Saw- Reciprocating Saw- Flashlight- 2 Batteries- 1 Hour Charger w/Bag

For Yvonne, doubles as a learning tool and a place to sit
Learning Musical Chair - English
450 reward miles
Manufacturer's Model Num H4609
AIR MILES Item Number 64210716
Language: English. Age: 1-3 years.

For the boys, they lost theirs in the flood
2,050 reward milesManufacturer's Model Num SP2
AIR MILES Item Number 6422858
Forget everything you know and step into the 128-bit universe brought to you by the Playstation® 2 computer entertainment system.

So there are just a few things you can visit the sites yourself.

IF you plan on buying something through AIRMILES you may want to post it here so someone else doesn't buy the same thing!!

I just felt that many folks want to contribute a different way and this may just be another option!

Cards and Gift packages
Can be mailed to :

The Thomer Family
c/o 1505 Gallery Street
Pascagoula MS 39581

Last edited by Luba; September 16th, 2005 at 08:31 PM.