Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 15th, 2005, 03:52 PM

PC way to pet a dog??

Okay, don't please freak on my HEAD!! I have a weird question and am only curious. I don't have any weird sexual hang ups or anything so don't jump to conclusions. Here is my question. I remember years ago hearing about the correct way to rub a dog's belly. I cannot at all remember where I heard this, but it had something to do with being sensitive to the dog's sexual privacy (for lack of a better term?!?!?). I have been presented with bellies that have been begged to be rubbed, and I am not worried if a part peeks out, it doesn't bother me, the question is, does it really bother the dog? Is it some how wrong to stimulate a dog in that way? Or was this person who told me (vague memory, not coming back to me at all) a weirdo?!? This question has bothered me for years. Not ethically, or anthromorphizing the sexual ethics of the dog.... Oh someone help me out, I am trying hard not to get my foot stuck to far in my mouth and get my question answered at the same time

Last edited by Freyja; August 15th, 2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old August 15th, 2005, 03:58 PM
-

Honestly, I don't think that anyone usually thinks or worries about it. If this person had not mentioned it to you, you probably wouldn't either. Feel free to rub any part of the belly.
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

lol, my gal Brandy flops down in front of anyone, flips over and thwacks a leg with her paw to get her belly scratched. I always say she has no pride at all. I don't think there is a particuliarly pc way to scratch, rub etc.. If the dog is enjoying it, I would not worry too much about it.
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I wouldn't worry about it either. I don't think that it excites the dog in any way other than they loooovvveeee to have their bellies rubbed. Half the time, I'm not even looking where I'm rubbing because I sometimes do it while I'm watching TV or on the phone or otherwise distracted.

I agree with StaceyB - if someone hadn't planted that idea - you wouldn't have ever thought twice about it.