Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Need name help

Well we somewhat unexpectedly got a lab puppy, we don't have her yet as I prefer for her to stay with her sister for the next three weeks(which will be with our bosses). Our bosses called us and they just got her sister and wanted to know if we wanted one as they knew we were thinking about it now that we have a house. It may not be the way we planned but things with us never seem to go as planned.

Anyhoo we've been trying to come up with a name for her and you would think of all the years I have wanted a dog I would have thought of something by now. But....everytime I thought of a name I like some dog would come into the clinic with that name and would be a terror or have owners I couldn't stand and it would ruin it for me.

I would like something unique or something that would go with the cats names which are Stixx and Forest, I like Flower( the little skunk from bambi) but hubby doesn't. She's black with a white chest and her front paws are white(so I assume she's not full lab which doesn't matter in the least). I will post a few pics they sent me. They named thier pup Montana so it could be something that goes with that to.

It sure will be an interesting season on the island with two labx pups. I am sure they'll have a blast together and get lots of attention/socializing from all the guests, young and old plus all the dogs the guests bring. Trying to keep them apart now and then so they get use to being apart from one another for when we all go home in the fall will be tough. I worry about them missing each other but the reunion next spring should be pretty exciting for them. It also helps that they've been exposed to cats and children already.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations! These things sometimes don't go as we planned huh? I like to think it's destiny at work. OMG, she's adorable!

As for a name, I'd make a list of all the names you like. Maybe go online to some name sites. Then wait until you have her with you. I think her personality will be a great help in helping you choose the perfect name for her.

For myself, I went with giving all of mine Russian names. When I got Vlad, I loved that name and always had. I thought if I ever had a child I'd name him Vlad. So, when I got another cat, I decided to pick something for her that would be similar in origin to his name, and the rest is history.

Maybe since your current furries have sort of nature like names, Forest and Stixx, you can go with a nature theme. If hubby doesn't like flower maybe choose a particular flower instead, like Rose, Tulip, Orchid, something like that.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Master of the Drool!

I had a Lax that looked like yours and we named her Brandy. But with Montana theme mybe Dakota?? There are great pet name sites.
My guys are "M" names in honour of their parents. Both Mom and Dad are "m" names.
Hope you find a name!!! your girl is adorable
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM

I forgot to mention that her name is currently Lucy as that is the name her previous owners called her, but I know too many Lucy's.

I have looked at names on the net but there are sooo many, waiting a few weeks till we get to know her I suppose isn't too long, since a lot of people change the names of pets they get from shelters. I was also thinking River, Fern, Summer, Minnie(being short for Minnesota since that's where she came from), but again I know too many Minnie's. I like Paisley to.

Waiting to see her is sooooooo hard. Our yard both front and back including the driveway is full of dog poo as the previous owners of our house never ever picked up after thier dogs so I really don't want to bring her home to that either, being spring is a great time for things like parvo to creep up. Frankly our property is a hazardous waste area, and the only way we can tell our snow is melting is by the new poop piles that show up....I am really grossed out and can't understand why you would let your property get like that. Inside our house was spotless and you wouldn't know they had dogs, although we are still finding dog hair.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Paisley is very nice.

Ugh, that's nasty. I don't understand why people would allow their own yards to be like that.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Master of the Drool!

I agree with AG..I like Paisley too.

Some people just don't like pick it up but my theory is if you can't pick up in your own yard then you are not doing it when you are out for walks Gross.. I feel bad for you that you are stuck doing it!! Not right
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Paisley is nice. I almost named my lab X Hoover or Bounty (because she was the quicker picker upper). Everything went into her mouth. But I had always loved the name Halo (after meeting a BMD with that name) and Halo is what stuck, but it probably should have been Satan.... I agree that you should pick a few names but then own her for a week and see what she feels like. Sometimes a name just seems to fit the personality. Oh and congratulations, she's darling.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM

The worst part with the poop is that our driveway is gravel and it's nicley ground into it. Also all our snow may not be gone by the time we leave for work so I probably won't get it all before hand. On the plus side by November(when we come home) she will be fully vaccinated, not that it protects against everything but her immune system should be stronger. We'll have to warn our lawn care people and ask that they pick it up and not just mow over it. I almost wish there was some sort or recourse we could take but there isn't.

I mentioned Paisley to hubby and he looked at me funny, then said well you just pick a name since we can't agree. I'd like us to agree and maybe if I meantion it enough it will grow on him. Still open to more suggestions though.

Thank You
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Paisley is nice. I almost named my lab X Hoover or Bounty (because she was the quicker picker upper). Everything went into her mouth. But I had always loved the name Halo (after meeting a BMD with that name) and Halo is what stuck, but it probably should have been Satan.... I agree that you should pick a few names but then own her for a week and see what she feels like. Sometimes a name just seems to fit the personality. Oh and congratulations, she's darling.
Yeah, seeing what her personality is the best way to choose.

When I first brought Maks home, I thought of calling him Oscar, then Simon. So for about a week, I kept going between all three names, and Maks just fit him the best. I can't imagine him not being Maks!

Old April 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM

I agree with seeing what her personality is, so I think will pick few or try to narrow a few down anyway and then pass it on to the bosses. See what they think fits her and then make the final decision when we see her, which really isn't that long away, but seems like forever.

Hubby just came up with Autumn, since she's mostly lab and labs were bred for hunting, hunting starts in the fall (no she won't be used for that, we don't hunt) and she's pretty like the colours of fall.
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwh, I like Autumn and Paisley. She is SO stinking cute!

I was going to suggest 'Posie' because she reminded me of one. (Actually I think they're just normally a really deep violet, but they look black )

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

She's so cute.

You could try Clover, Daisy, Rose, Petunia, Holly, Cricket (they at least live in the woods, lol), and I love the name Cricket.

Cindy
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww what a little sweety
My neighbors daughters name is Paisley,I remember thinking,what kind of name is that
Someone mentioned Destiny,I think that's a sweet name for a girl-puppy,but definitely not out of the forest.
Fern is really pretty too.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Ooh maybe Hanna ? then They can be Hanna Montana

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKat View Post
Ooh maybe Hanna ? then They can be Hanna Montana
That's funny, I did think of it and when I mentioned just Hannah I got the dirtiest look from hubby, then I had to push it and say Mylie.....didn't go over well.

Every time I mention flower related names I get a funny look, she is a girl after all and they're all way better than Crestliner for peats sake. If anyone here is familiar with boats and those who are not, Crestliner is a boat manufactuer, hubby's fav boat....I said no. Then he started trying out hockey and fishing related names. Some could be cute but they're all masculine.

I suppose I should go make dinner.
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a crazy off the top of my head idea for a name - Thistle. Then I thought of Shamrock.

She is awfully cute, good luck with her. The right name will come.

Diane
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:58 PM
You can call me DOG!

When we first got our Springer Spaniel, Gryphon (sounds like Griffin), there were 4 of us all fighting to name him.

Momma here settled the score, and went into an English Springer Spaniel's website to look at names of Champion Springers. It was a choice between Gryphon or Frigit and we chose Gryphon

My husband wanted so bad to name him HOMER!!

Maybe you could check out a Labrador website to get some ideas

Best of luck Dustybird

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Paisley sounds really cute, if you want to go the flower route, how about Flora or Fauna?

In Memory: Spot, Reese, Scrunk, and Nikki - always in my heart
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM

I am suppose to be making dinner but wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions.

I really wanted hubby to come up with a name since I tend to be the one who's named all the other's.

So he came up with Autumn, I think it will suit her, I tried to picture her all grown up and how a name would fit then and not just while she's little. So it's offical now, Autumn it is. From the little updates we get it sounds like it will work. Bouncy like leaves falling and blowing around in well... Autumn and pretty like the colours of fall. It's also nature oriented so it does in a way go with Stixx and Forest.

I also think it's separate enough from Montana so they won't get confused.

Thanks again....better finish dinner before someone starts whinning....haha.
Old April 15th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Master of the Drool!

I like the name...now that the name is picked time to get super excited