Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM

Exclamation extreme drinking and thirst

i have a one year old dobermann male who was rehomed to us (and i know his prev owner personally)two months ago, and has really settled in well.
when we brought him home he wa rather slim and we have worked hard ever since to get him to gain weight and to build muscles.
he weighed about 28 kilos when we got him and three weeks ago when we did the mandatory ad/hd x-ray they clocked him in at amazing 35,4 kilos..
a week after that all of a sudden he stopped eating, i thought it was because there might be some bitch in heat in the area..no such luck..
i fiddled and desperatly tried to get him to eat but all he wanted to do was drink...and drink...and drink... about 7-9 LITERS per day ....and no matter what i tried to offer him he didnt wanna eat... not even grinded meat or beef or...well anything...no dogfood brand or variations was untried..
had to seriously cut back on the trainingsessions...
i kept calling the vet ever day (started the second day when he was excessivly drinking) and was yet again put off with a well he drinks so there should be no problem..
i finally went to the vet and refused to leave before they had a look at him... he was by then down to 27 kilos (a loss of more than 30 % of his weight in two and a half week)and shaking like a rattler. severly dehydrated and shaking unable to walk it became even more acute since his problems escalated while we were waiting...
now nthree days on dripbag and several tests later all they can say for sure is what it is NOT... they have test for diabethics,addisons,cushings,kidney problems,etc...
what they could see was that he had very very low levels of natrium and kalium in his blood.and a little bit of urea... noting else seems wrong except for the fact that no matter how much drop (NaCl) they give him his levels doesnt raise and his urine doesnt seem to get much dilluted... now they are sorta giving up...with lets try cortisone so i reach ouut and ask is there anyone out there who has any idea or has experienced anything similar???
Note: kidney x-ray and ultrasound is done,ACTH test is done,and bloodworks aswell...
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Question

This is my first time on this forum. Our 9 yr old boxer has started drinking an excess amount of water also. We also took him to the vet where they did 2 urinalysis and two different blood tests. All came back OK. The only thing they saw was that his Valley Fever seems to be coming back ever so slightly. He has been on anitbiotics for 1 week now and I do not see any improvement. His appitite is still good, however the vet would like him to lose anywhere from 15 - 20 lbs. He had Valley Fever when he was younger and was antibiotics for a couple of years. I do not remember this being a sympton back then.

What do you think? The vet wants to wait a couple more weeks before he examines him again to give the anitbiotic time in his system.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Unhappy not always a it seems

i am sad to say i had to let the vet put Tzaar to sleep they are now performing a autopsy to determin what it was that he was suffring from.
they say addissons ,but yet they say it is not quite..
we had him at te animal hospital for a week and they had him on triple dropbags cause they had tried with less and thn his levels of natrium and kalium didnt elevate even the slightest..
they said on friday that with cortisone he should be fine and sent him home... that evening he was relativly okey... saturday he began to get tired and just wanted to sleep..a 200 meter walk took so much energy of him that he was rembling badly, and he didnt want to eat..with a bit of persuation we managed to get the meds into him...and on sunday... we persuaded him to take the meds again... and got his faVOUITE FOOD to make him eat some... he reluctantly ate some... and an hour later he puked everythingup... meds from friday undigested same with saturday and sundays meds...
we went to the vet again and even tho he had been drinking he was yet again severly dehydrated... he wasnt getting any better... he could hardly walk becaue he was shaking ... i had to carry him...so we decided to do the most humane thing and let him go to dogheaven... because only time he was somewhat okey was when he was on dropbags..and we cant keep him o that for ever... it was the most horryfying experience in my whole life... from perfectly healthy to deadly sick in less than two weeks...
i hope no dog ever have to experience what he went tru...
and you people who have dogs that start acting strange and drink loADS of water...please please go to a larger vetrinary center because many times the smaller vetstations dont have the resources to check and diagnose more than the most common problems...
wish you all well.. in time maby ill get a new dog...but for now im glad when i can get thru the day..
/Yonna grieving Tzaar
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Question How much is too much?

Hello:

I have a 4 year old mixed breed Black Chow Chow / Samoyed named "Hoshi Kita" and she has recently started drinking, we think, more water than normal.

Historically Speaking...
We moved in mid-December from a condo in Montreal, where she did not have an outdoor space - beyond the balcony that overlooked the street, to a home in Sorel-Tracy that is fairly secluded in woods and is teeming with birds, squirrels, chipmunks, marmots and we've even seen one coyote!

Today...
Kita is outside more often and is more active - in the morning she goes for an hour long walk in the woods - pointing out pheasants, etc. To me, this is idyllic for her. However, she will at times, pace back and forth from one window to another throughout the house, looking outside - no doubt for evidence of some "Varmit Trespasser" and we think this might be providing a slight elevation in her stress levels - but isn't that natural? Dogs are natural born hunters, right? Especially, Chow Chows. It would be expected that she be excited to see all "this" and be excited and somewhat protective of "Kita's Park", right?

Being as how, we've only ever lived in the city and this is our first experience in the country with a dog (and a cat, too! Lord Almighty lest I forget to mention Miss "Boo Boo Bucle" Simone), we're not sure if she's drinking due to stress, a urinary-something, or is she too hot and just needs to cool down?

I've seen people write in this thread that their dog is drinking excessively. How do you "know"? What is excessive drinking for a 70lbs to 80lbs dog with a double layer of fur that is now, as is normal, falling out and making our floors look like the Wild West with tumbleweeds of fur blowing everywhere... Kita-Kat is probably drinking around 8-12 cups of water a day. Is that excessive?

What we're seeing also is that she will drink her daily does of water most often, close to - or just as, she goes to bed. Same with eating. She eats mainly at night, hardly touching her food at all during the day. She does eat and she does drink but is any of this "normal"? She doesn't urinate excessively - that is normal too. Longer squats, for sure but again, this is to be expected, right?

Hoshi Kita's active, playful, emotional, cute-as-can-be and pretty! Oh so pretty! Those big brown eyes!

(She's watching me write this, of course.)

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
James
Old April 19th, 2007, 03:26 AM

excessive drinking

I am sad to announce that Tzaar did not make it... after two weeks in intensive care at the vetrinary hospial he hadnt gotten any better and even tho they had him on intravenuos fluid he became more and more dehydrated... and was so weak he couldnt even walk 20 meters without shaking like a leaf... so we had to take the devastating decision to put him to sleep.
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:59 PM

My great dane puppy

I have a 4 month old male great dane and he just recently started drinking water like it was going out of style..is this something normal? I have taken up all water so he doesn't get any after 7pm but he still pees everywhere.. I thought at first he was just thirsty from being outside but they have water out there so this couldn't be it... and I have had a problem with him not able to hold his pee.. but he seems to be intentionally do it like he thinks its funny...Ugghhh can anyone help... Any suggestions???

Last edited by wicked; October 26th, 2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked View Post
I have a 4 month old male great dane and he just recently started drinking water like it was going out of style..is this something normal? I have taken up all water so he doesn't get any after 7pm but he still pees everywhere.. I thought at first he was just thirsty from being outside but they have water out there so this couldn't be it... and I have had a problem with him not able to hold his pee.. but he seems to be intentionally do it like he thinks its funny...Ugghhh can anyone help... Any suggestions???
Please take your dog to the vet for blood work and a urinalysis. And DO NOT limit his water intake! The increased water consumption could be a number of things, diabetes for instance, but only a vet can diagnose that.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM

I have an 8 yr old Boxer who I adopted from a rescue last year. Joe drinks excessively and was lethargic when he first arrived. I just figured he was old and not quite used to me. He never seem interested in play for very long. Mostly just slept. Our vet said he was a healthy dog who was showing signs of arthritis. After about 9 months or so Joe began to lose his hair along either side of his body. On the next visit to the Vet they ran tests of his thyroid. Joe now takes meds twice a day for his thyroid. His hair grew back with in weeks of the medication. He's a whole new dog. You would never guess he's an old man except for the gray beard. He loves to jump and play. So if you have an excessily thristy dog check on his/her thyroid.
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:50 AM

Buddy's issue

Buddy is my 2 year old yellow Labrador. I have read through all these posts and I'm still not convinced that Buddy is suffering from some problem other than he's mental. I have had Buddy since he was 8 weeks old. He is house broken and has been kennel trained from the day he came through the front door. When we leave the house he is placed in a kennel. When we have company over he is placed in a kennel. He is as healthy as a horse. He has regular Vet check ups and the Vet always says Buddy is in fine shape.
Buddy Drinks Water until he barfs it up. We have managed his water since birth. That was part of the way he was house broken. We never left water out for him to drink whenever he wants. Other wise he would be peeing all over the place. He gets plenty of water throughout the day. I wonder what is wrong with him? He has had blood tests...all normal. Well I'm at a loss..
Old September 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM

kennel/crate water

For those of you who do want to leave water for their dog while they are in their crate/kennel, but do not want to use a bowl due to spillage, I can tell you what we use. And, it helps out at other times with our boxer that likes to drink all the time like the other dogs on the post.

We use a hamster water bottle. The kind that hangs on the cage and has a little ball on the end. They lick the end with the ball and water is released without spilling, albeit kind of slowly. But, the dogs we use it with are two small dachshunds.

We put water in a bowl for them while they are not in their kennel, but sometimes they prefer to drink from the hamster feeder. And, at night when we don't want any water out for our boxer to drink (he will drink any water he finds), this allows them to still get a drink of water if they need to. The boxer has never drank from the hamster feeder. He is so much bigger, the little amount of water that comes out per like would probably just make him mad.
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:44 AM

please help

hi all,
i have a 7-year-old maltese. i've read all the posts and almost all of them are so similar to timmy's problem. you wouldn't believe how much water he drinks, especially in the morning.

we've had all those tests for diabetis, kidney, well nothing abnormal. he just keeps drinking and drinking. he's a smart dog and he feels ashamed when he asks for water, that just worries me so much. i am so at a loss and i really don't know what do to. we've visited almost 10 vets but they just drive me mad, saying it is normal.

if it is not an illness, not that he just likes drinking either, what is it? how can a dog drink half of his total weight in one day?
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:44 AM

Unhappy

This is my first time on this website, I was looking to see how to better manage my dog patches' diabetes. She has been my best friend for the past 13+ years, so I typed in my dog drinks too much water and found this thread. We went through all kinds of tests and many mis-diagnosis, all of the cures for what wasn't the problem just seemed to make things worse, the last one, pills for incontinance almost cost Patches her life. but I luckily stopped giving her the medicine and when I took her back her blood sugar levels were so high they kept her 2 days and told me that she would probably not make it, the next day I went in to pick her up. She came home with instructions on how to give her shots twice a day, that was more than a year ago. I will not take her back to that Vet. It was by the way one of the largest Vet Clinics in Portland. But unfortunatly lately her insulin levels are off much more often, and she is going blind, but she makes it very clear that she is not ready to go yet. I am hoping that someone might have some advise. I'm not ready to loose my best friend.

Last edited by Patches&Dozer; October 25th, 2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to both of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmycan View Post
if it is not an illness, not that he just likes drinking either, what is it? how can a dog drink half of his total weight in one day?
If all the physical tests are coming back normal, could it be behavioral? We have a dog that will drink just for the sake of drinking. All the tests came back normal. So we manage it by letting him take as much as he wants during the day, and limiting his access to water after his evening meals (one small bowl and that's it). During the day he can go out as often as he needs to, but we're once again sleeping through the night! Ask your vet if he thinks a schedule like that might be helpful for Timmy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches&Dozer View Post
unfortunatly lately her insulin levels are off much more often, and she is going blind, but she makes it very clear that she is not ready to go yet. I am hoping that someone might have some advise. I'm not ready to loose my best friend.
Patches&Dozer, this being such an old thread, you might want to start a new thread in the health forum. More people will see it. Use a descriptive title that mentions insulin levels and diabetes There are quite a few members who have been managing their pets' diabetes for years and I'm sure there will be more than one with some advice!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:51 AM

dog drinking too much water

My vet has just diagnosed my lab with generally being very healthy except he drinks too much water. His kidneys are not concentrating his urine. After several sets of blood, urine and xray tests, he was diagnosed with healthy kidneys but after monitoring we realized he drinks way too much water. (We had a kiddie pool all summer which may have caused this problem to start). As best as I can understand, his kidneys are healthy but not being used because of the large amount of water he is drinking. We always knew our lab would overeat if his food was not monitored but now we have to regulate his water intake as well. Based on his weight, the vet has calculated he needs just under 1 litre water per day. We now give him water 4 times a day. We live in a cold climate so right now the weather is not a factor. I am not sure what we will do when the hot summer days come. As this problem was new to me I thought I would share it as its sounds like others may experience this with their dog. This diagnosis was from the vet after numerous tests ruling out diabetes, etc.
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:58 PM

Boxer #3

So I'll be the third boxer owner who's dog drinks water obsessivly. (11 years old) I've taken her to the vet, got blood and urine tests to check for issues. (cushing/kidney/infection etc) All came back clear.

The drinking water doesn't bother me, it's the urination and in HUGE quantities all over my carpets and floors every other day that have me considering some perminant solutions to this problem.

She's on the Protin now, and as of 3 weeks still peeing on my floor. I let her out 9-12 times per day to pee, and still she pees on my floor. It's unreal. I even tried the doggie diapers, she pees right through them and onto my floor.

So now I'm trying to put water down on a schedule. Honestly between the diapers/pills/vetbills/carpet cleaning/paper towels and extreme aggravition I'm feeling, I'm starting to loose hope.

This has been going on about 4 months, and the vet doesn't know what to do either.
Any tips?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:21 AM

Proin is POISON

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBabe View Post
So I'll be the third boxer owner who's dog drinks water obsessivly. (11 years old) I've taken her to the vet, got blood and urine tests to check for issues. (cushing/kidney/infection etc) All came back clear.

The drinking water doesn't bother me, it's the urination and in HUGE quantities all over my carpets and floors every other day that have me considering some perminant solutions to this problem.

She's on the Protin now, and as of 3 weeks still peeing on my floor. I let her out 9-12 times per day to pee, and still she pees on my floor. It's unreal. I even tried the doggie diapers, she pees right through them and onto my floor.

So now I'm trying to put water down on a schedule. Honestly between the diapers/pills/vetbills/carpet cleaning/paper towels and extreme aggravition I'm feeling, I'm starting to loose hope.

This has been going on about 4 months, and the vet doesn't know what to do either.
Any tips?
Please get your dog off of PROIN. Please go over to http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums and read all postings (18 replies). Look under Dog Health and Nutrition--click on it and then find: Is Your Dog on Proin (sorry, but you have it spelled wrong and this is what your dog is on!) and click on that. And if that isn't enough--put Proin/side effects in dogs or something on that order in your browser---and please hurry!
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Unhappy German/shepard Akita mix also drinking alot of water

I have a german/shepard akita male. He is 13 1/2 years old. My other child, my best friend. He has been drinking alot of water especially at night about 8:30-12:30, drinking, going out, sometimes until 1:30 am sometimes 2:00 am. I also took him to vet, urine tests showed severe urine infection, i have had him on antibotic for 3 weeks. No better, actually worse. When he first started antibotic it helped for few days then became more & more of drinking water & going out. Every night he pee's in his sleep. 2 big floods. I have bought 3 different types of diaper/guards and male wraps but none work. First one was too small. Second one the guard was made more for a female dog. Now the 3rd one i bought last night fits but is very constricting. He fell after i put it on him. You see i should mention my dog has a spinal disease. No its not the same as hip displasia. It is called degenerative myelopathy. It eventually paralysis dog- they cant walk any more. There is no cure for it. Sometimes dogs get it at a slow pace-over the years but then some dogs, it hits them in months time. My dog started with it about 3 years ago-it wasnt that bad-he could walk and run-but his hind legs would give out sometimes and his back feet would drag a little bit. But now the past 4 months it really is hitting him. He falls alot, his feet curl under and make it hard to walk for few seconds. Ive read about it and it can make them loose there bowl and urinary use when the disease is really hitting them. My vet knows this but hasnt mentioned if thats the cause-instead he says we have to let him finish the antibotic, then for one week he has to be off and we'll do another urine cullture. My dog is generally feeling ok during the day, except day before yesterday, i tryed him on one of those urine leaking pills. What a mistake..i thought he was going to get a heart attack. Then last night or i should say this morning 4;30 am he woke me up breathing hard. He had peed on rug and when i did let him out again, he fell several times. Going out -then coming in. Today he feels bad, i know he does. I know when he does do accidents he puts his head down-like im sorry mommy-dont be mad at me..but i never yell at him-never had to his entire life, he has been such a gift to me--my best friend, i know his days are numbered now, i'm crying as i type..only people that are really close to their dogs can know how i feel. I am a stay at home mom, and this dog has always been a big part of my daily living. Everyone that knows him knew how he was so close to me--i use to have to take him in bathroom with me when i showered-cause he'd cry if i didnt-things like that. Well if anyone out there has any suggestions-or has ever been this route-or even a few nice words would help-thanks for listening-annie
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
pitbull lover..

okay i find this almost hard to believe that you guys would jump to conclusions like this and automatically assume that there is something seriously wrong with her puppy.

i have 2 pit puppies right now, similar to boxers, one is 7months the other is 4months.. before my 4month old (female) i had a 6 week old, she died of parvo, then a 5 1/2 week old a month later, also died of parvo a month after getting her...she was obsessed with wather..(btw during all this time I had my 7 month old, i got him first at 6 weeks, then started getting the females, then we moved on after that, learned a bit about parvo and how to get rid of it, then got a 3month old, she was adored water, but she was rather skiddish, and we were afraid she wud get scared when she was older and bite a child so we found a good home for her, the next one was the same was also 3months and loved water but skiddish.. our final one, turned out to be the most well-behaved and perfect pup ever.. but she also is obsessed with water, and so is my male, who has been since he was a baby baby..

So with my background being stated... I think since they are puppies they just love water, it just needs to be rationed and given to only when you are able to keep a full watch on them. They dont understand when they are full and cant really hold their bladder as well as a 4 year old would be able too..

this is why they tell you to give a cup of food per 10lbs, there is a reason for that, so they dont over eat, do the same with water, and take them outside as soon as they are finished and every15 minutes after that for about an hour. puppies are like children, they have to be watched and be forgiven for mistakes. and with her boxer being 10months.. id consider that still a puppy.. id consider a 2 year old still a puppy...

quit scaring the crap out of people, yes go to the vet if you are really concerned, but dont automatically jump and say your dog is going to die because it drinks to much water.

but if you know your dog and have had it for a long time, and its doing something that isnt normal, take it to the vet. my baby girl was sleeping more than normal and had a runny nose and i knew it wasnt normal, so i called the vet, turns out she had allergies bc of spring...so i gave her a benadryl so if you feel something is wrong, then get help.

Last edited by boost and noob; March 13th, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petdr View Post
There are a number of reasons for this presentation. A urinalysis and complete blood profile will help begin to answer the cause.

My rule-outs would be: diabetes insipidus,diabetes mellitus, psycogenic thirst that has led to medullary wash-out, liver shunt, renal dysplasia, polycystic kidney disease, nephroblastoma, infectious nephritis and the list goes on.

Do not be surprised if your veterinarian orders abdominal x-ray films, abdominal ultrasound, urine culture and various hormonal assays to further refine the diagnostic work-up.

Sorry that is not an easy fix, and the reason is that many serious problems can present just like this, but the astute owner and veterinarian will avoid quessing, thereby guaranteeing the best outcome possible.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
I live in Paris, France but am an U.S. Citizen. I have been here about a year and have two dogs (Rat Terriers) The oldest (12 YOA) is also obsessed, as the original poster describes, with drinking water. We took her to the vet, as I feared she may be diabetic. The vet (very expensive) in Paris did all, or most of the test I think you mention above with no luck. She does not have diabeties and her kidneys seem to be functioning fine. No x-rays or scans were done of her though. She seems healthy in every way and very active for a 12 YOA dog. Recently her obsession has gotten so obsessive with drinking water that she goes into the bathroom and tries to lick water out of the shower! she looks for it in the city streets (which worries me very much) and I am starting to think something is wrong with her mind! I am very worried and would like to have further guidance or encouragement.

The OP made me feel justified that I was not obsessing. We give her water and ensure she is not dehydrated, but it is only in small doses and frequently. Should we do this in another way? When she was a pup we tried the water in the kennel and in the bottles but she is way to high strung to deal with that. She gets water everywhere. We kennel our dogs much like the OP only I am not working while in Paris with my husband and she is kenneled much less frequently.

Incidentally, one of the reasons we had grown increasingly concerned was that she would drink water too fast and then vomit is back up almost immediately. We were terribly worried but the Vet here says it is fine and we should only give her small doses.

I appreciate support and input.
Old November 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Has the vet checked for Cushing's, WooKeef? That can also cause excess drinking/urination. Especially in an older dog, we like to rule out everything we can before deciding it's just a behavioral problem.

But if everything has been checked and physically she's fine, than rationing her water is a suitable solution. We have two dogs that can't make it through the night unless we cut off their water supply after 6:30 p.m. The other six have free access to the water but these two have been trained not go to the bowls once they've had their after-dinner drink. They do just fine all night without free access and aren't even particularly thirsty when they get up in the morning (at least, they don't make a beeline for the water bowls ).

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Has the vet checked for Cushing's, WooKeef? That can also cause excess drinking/urination. Especially in an older dog, we like to rule out everything we can before deciding it's just a behavioral problem.

But if everything has been checked and physically she's fine, than rationing her water is a suitable solution. We have two dogs that can't make it through the night unless we cut off their water supply after 6:30 p.m. The other six have free access to the water but these two have been trained not go to the bowls once they've had their after-dinner drink. They do just fine all night without free access and aren't even particularly thirsty when they get up in the morning (at least, they don't make a beeline for the water bowls ).
I have never heard of Cushings..not to say the vet has not ruled it out. It is difficult since I speak limited French and for medical treatments for myself and my pets are in english. Sometimes the translation is off. I will have to look into this.
Old November 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
-

You may find some help here ...

http://www.k9cushings.com/forum/
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:25 PM

I recently became an owner of an 8 year old lab who has the same problem.

According to his previous owner, this is a psychological issue that he was tested for at the vets many years ago.

I give him water when he eats, and a few other times during the day, but that's it.

He's not crated, he sleeps on the living room floor.
Old January 16th, 2010, 03:01 AM

After much evaluation I am fairly certain that my dog does not have cushings. I believe it is "manic" as my French vet says, or psychological. I suppose this is a product of her aging...as she is 12 years old.
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Msullivan

Exclamation Obsessive puppy with food and water

I'm curious if the boxer puppy resolved the obsessive drinking. I have a 4 month old bull terrior pup. She is obsessed with both water and food. We have to ration both......otherwise she will gulp down as fast as she can.

She has been to the vet and had many tests to rule out diabetes, etc. She is a healthy pup.

To reduce her possessiveness of food, I have started feeding her half of her food in the bowl, addiing 1/4 more food to the bowl and then the remainder of food is fed to her from my hand. I want her to begin associating people with giving....not taking away food. Its a work in progress.

However, I have not resolved the obsession with water. If it is a rainy day and I take her outside to go to the bathroom, she simply focuses on drinking from the puddles and then she releaves herself ALL over the floor.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM

Bottle for over drinker

I saw on one website that over drinking during the day could be alleviated by using a horse "lick" bottle and a rabbit bottle at night. Does anyone know where I can find a "lick" bottle?
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labowner View Post
I recently became an owner of an 8 year old lab who has the same problem.

According to his previous owner, this is a psychological issue that he was tested for at the vets many years ago.

I give him water when he eats, and a few other times during the day, but that's it.

He's not crated, he sleeps on the living room floor.
Lab Owner,

I am very much interested in chatting with you over your lab's psychological issue with water. I believe I have one with the same problem but some feedback from you would be so helpful.
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:22 AM

I have the same problem with my dog too. I have a 15 years old Black Miniature Schnauzer. He had the same exact movement as your dog... So it was time to take the shot for the vaccination so i went and told my vet. They checked up on him and say that he had less then a year to live.... He is now 15years old and still lives but have the same problem... when my vet told me i lost half of my life... this baby of mine has less time to live and i didn't have much time to spend with him because my uncle was fighting cancer... But as days go by he sleeps a lot, drink a lot and some time he runs around like a puppy .... so i was like what in the world was my vet thinking .... my Pocky is still alive after they told me he only have a less then a year to live.... that time i was so stress out my uncle is about to die and now my Pocky is leaving .... i could not stand the pain and sadness.... Sad thing my uncle passed away but thankfully my dog is living more than a year and still lives.... That made up my life so baldy.... still trying to find a cure but i think i'm going to try pedialyte where a lot of site says its good... I can't trust vets anymore because my vet that told me those word was a good vet in USA so the only hope is the internet, talking to the owner of a pet they love and truly understand how they see there own pet suffer and trying to find the cure is the best vet i think i can ever find!!!
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:15 AM

After a painful registrations and losing my long message, here i go again for the sake of the dogs: IT IS THE FOOD!
Before taking your pet to the vet, give her brown rice and cooked or raw (better) chicken, the appetite will come right away and will drink normally. Try it, it does not matter if for a day has loose stools. She will get well. Comercial dog food is poison has GMO corn and soy, among other poisons. No matter how expenssive the food is, it is unnaturally processed, and it ruins their kidneys, liver and nevous system.
Add to the brown rice and chicken some peas and sweet potato. Trust me, just try it. If this does not work, THEN you take her to the vet. Nature must be the first approach because we are ruining our pet's health as we have ruined ours. Good luck.
Old June 8th, 2014, 01:06 PM

Post My Dog is drinking 4 to 5 liters of water single day since two days.

Is it a good symptom if a "DOG (SCOOBY)" consumes too much water. Recently i got it treated because of allergic problem. N doctor gave him injection(anti-biotics). Is it because of that? or any other reason. Please help me out I love him very much...