Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:20 PM

Purchasing a dog, need advice on price.

Hi there,

I am looking into purchasing a Labrador/Border Collie mix dog... she is 2 years old, has all of her shots and proper vet treatment, and she comes with a portable kennel. I have included a picture of the dog with this post.

Bottom line: the owner is asking for $450... I managed to talk him to to $400 for the dog and kennel. Do you think this is worth it? I have no idea about dog prices... but I was thinking she may be worth around $200?

I'd appreciate anyone's input on this situation.

Thank-you!
Attached Images

Old October 3rd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

It should be fairly easy to check out what mutts are going for in your local rescue/shelter/humane society.

If she was a well bred, pure bred dog you would expect the seller to provide you with proof of clearances against certain disease and ailments common in the breed as well as confirmation of at least involvement in some competitive venue such as conformation, agility, herding, flyball, hunt or field tests, hunting etc. You would get a health guarantee and support from the breeder as well. Note that well bred and purebred are not necessarily the same thing.

It's nice of you to want to give this dog a home but if it was me I'd want more information on her than you have presented here. I would also expect to be asked for a lot of background on myself. When I home stray cats I get references from the Vet of the prospective purchaser on other pets they have or had.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting questions. Myself if I am in love with a dog the price wouldn't matter. That said, where did you find this dog? Newspaper or computer listings, reliable rescue?? Why is the owner parting with her?? And if he tells you it's allergies he's probably lying. What will you do if she turns out to have separation anxiety and howls all day while you are at work?? Rehome her again?? Is the owner prepared to give you proof of her vet treatment? Can you contact her vet to ask any questions about the dogs health/demeanour. I think she looks like a lovely dog and wouldn't hesitate to pay $400 for her, but I'd be very careful about not getting what you bargain for. Make sure you do your homework before you dive in.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Skylar's Farm

My first question would be is she spayed? That can be a costly vet trip that is absolutely necessary.
Next: Why are they giving her up?
If she has severe behavioural or health issues that are beyond your experience will they take her back?
Are you prepared to put alot of time into this dog? This breed combo requires tons of exercise.
She can live for another 13 years and you want to be happy with each other.
Note: some people pick up "free" dogs and try to Re-Sell them to make money, be careful.