Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Puppy Mills – Not “Just” a Canadian Problem - graphic images

While looking for some Canadian mill numbers the other day I came across tons of websites about puppy mills/puppy farms in other countries. It would seem while we are indeed inundated by these horrific places we are far from being the only country thus encumbered. It would behoove us all to start working together to try to solve this problem rather than point out one country as being “better” than another.

These sites are not always the best as far as numbers but it seems some countries want to try to keep their dirty laundry under wraps. Some contain very graphic images. Please note they are not all bad news sites. Some actually show that progress, however slow, can be made. There are many many more sites. I just could not bear to look at more.

U.S.
http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Inves...-Puppy-Mills/2

http://www.okpuppymilltruth.org/

Canada
http://cfhs.ca/athome/puppy_mills

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/canadian_laws.htm

Africa
http://allafrica.com/stories/201011060005.html

http://www.showdogs.co.za/hotspot/ca...eat_emptor.htm

UK
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/hopeuk/pu...rm_capital.htm

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/images/p...iles/puppy.pdf

China
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/editoria...ing-animal.htm

Australia
http://www.animalsaustralia.org/issu...on_animals.php

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...re-for-cruelty

Russia
http://www.naiaonline.org/articles/a...ia-puppies.htm

Mexico
http://doggiesandstuff.com/2010/10/3...ission-part-1/

New Zealand
http://www.3news.co.nz/Inside-puppy-...0/Default.aspx

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Sad isn't it but we are not the worst not that it really matters. This is a world problem
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

14+K...Quebec is known to be one of the worst in Canada. I found out that even Anima Quebec does not even know where they are all located nor do they know of an actual number of mills. I found out that some municipal pounds (that euthanize BTW) are allowed to hand out breeding licenses and not register these licenses with those that are 'suppose' to enforce a faulty law to PROTECT our animals.

Every single country on this planet is tainted. Even those countries and their people who refuse to recognize that they themselves have this problem.

Rose color glasses must be on sale all over the place. Denial is death to all those animals that are suffering day in day out.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

This is so very sad . I wish that people would just stop and close their eyes before buying a puppy and imagine what horrid conditions their mom and dad are living in. Our world has turned so materialistic, that owning a 2K "Cockapoo" has become a status symbol .

Just imagine what rescues and shelters could do if those people spend $200 on a shelter pet and donated the other $1800 to them. The money could be used for educating the public and lobbying the gov'ts for changes to the laws.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Just imagine what rescues and shelters could do if those people spend $200 on a shelter pet and donated the other $1800 to them. The money could be used for educating the public and lobbying the gov'ts for changes to the laws.
Wouldn't that be a great thing!!
From what I was reading doing this search the US has somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10,000 mills. That is disheartening. We are not nearly the worse but it would be so nice to be the best, wouldn't it? I wish we could elect politicians who would be willing to take a stand and make some changes. Maybe it's time we start asking them before we vote what their plans are regarding animal welfare and then keep on them after being elected until they do something. Make them follow through on their campaign promises.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:36 PM
~Cat Servent~

so sad that even after all the education out there now...all the celebrity plugs...people are still buying their pets and supporting these *******s!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

The Aussie links are interesting, one starts 'Puppy Mills' under fire for cruelty, with the date beneath that being Saturday June 14th 2008, yet it's supposedly today's paper. It doesn't say much anyway.The other quotes figures from 2006. From the latter .....

Only about 5% of cats are reclaimed from pounds and shelters by the owners; whereas up to 70% of dogs are reclaimed.

They were our figures, up to 70% of dogs reclaimed, so are your figures that good? Ours could be even better now because it's a problem they are working on in lots of ways. I did say that it doesn't seem as big a problem here, not that I didn't feel sorry for people living with an overpopulation problem, or for the animals involved.

I wonder if I am right in thinking more cats end up in pounds than dogs for a start? How come all the anger seems directed at dog people? Cats, let's face it, breed like rabbits, so shouldn't cat owners be even more responsible and careful. Some greenies say here that cats(and foxes) should never have been allowed into this country, for all the damage they have done to native fauna. The climate suits the feral cat, as it did the rabbit and fox, we have too many of all of them. But in suburbia I wonder how many people ever get told how early their kitten would be able to breed, I know I wasn't when we got Pheobe, who was desexed ASAP after I heard the awful noise even a Persian in heat can make. (My sympathy to those who own Siamese.) If you are left to assume the first heat could be as late as a dog's you'd have an unwanted litter. More education is needed I'd say. How many would dump their cat during that first heat?

Am I imagining it or are a lot of your strays in Canada big dogs? This was another good point from that second article.

Too many of some breed types

The issue with dogs is different. In many areas, there are too many of some breed types, particularly the working dog and larger dog breeds for the numbers of suitable homes available in urban areas.

Surely that must apply in your country as well as mine? I'm just one person but personally, much as I love some of the big breeds, I don't want anything above the medium height like my cattle dog, a Kelpie, a sheltie rather than a collie etc. regardless that I live in the country. I consider medium dogs a convenient size to put in a vehicle, to pick up, to pay vet and food bills for.

I'll take a look at the other links but not today, I think it might be my birthday , (checking the date) oh yes, so time out from the world problems.

Last edited by Goldfields; February 4th, 2011 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Can't spell. :)
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I have a siamese and an oriental red...sterilized so I don't know why you would have sympathy for me having these two breeds. Adopted at a shelter BTW.

Your comments about cats is quite worrisome actually. Sad that your country does not put as much value on a cat and considers them a nuisance. The nuisance world wide is naive, ignorant people who do not SPAY and NEUTER their pets.

I highly doubt that your country is any different than any other. If you start digging and asking questions you will find that there is blemish in every corner of every country. You need to take the initiative to ask the right questions and keep on digging. In doing so you will be surprised with the amount of garbage you will uncover.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Adopted, already sterilised I am guessing, BenMax? I think the Siamese is noisier than a Persian at any time, I can only imagine one in heat. LOL.

Cats are not just a nuisance here, they might even be termed vermin in the outback, i.e. they shoot them. We have a terrible problem with them killing native animals and birds. These are feral cats though, not strays. A lot of Councils now have curfews on urban cats for the same reasons though.

You can believe what you please about our country, that's your perogative.
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Adopted, already sterilised I am guessing, BenMax? I think the Siamese is noisier than a Persian at any time, I can only imagine one in heat. LOL.

Cats are not just a nuisance here, they might even be termed vermin in the outback, i.e. they shoot them. We have a terrible problem with them killing native animals and birds. These are feral cats though, not strays. A lot of Councils now have curfews on urban cats for the same reasons though.

Old February 4th, 2011, 08:49 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

http://www.wheredopuppiescomefrom.com.au/

yup isn't a problem there,,they just make them legal.
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM

As horrible as the mills are,people still buy from pet stores, online, kajiji, etc...grr!
And cats, ya, they are sure treated as disposable, which I find despicable.
GAH! HUMANS!

*gives Scruffy an extra snuggle*
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:08 AM
150% PRO S/N

Man, it's hard to have an iggy list when peeps are quoting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Love the little zipped mouth guy rainbow.

Current enough?

http://video.news.com.au/1766866633/...y-farm-seizure

http://wn.com/openrescue1

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/medi...p?article=1780

Oh heck, I'll just post all of the google search. It's easier.

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1G...11+-+Australia

I repeat - It would behoove us all to start working together to try to solve this problem rather than point out one country as being “better” than another. Please note they are not all bad news sites. Some actually show that progress, however slow, can be made.

This thread was not started to cause trouble. If that were the case I would not have bothered posting sites from other countries. Rather I was trying to bring to light the fact that this issue is not only in our country but in fact world wide. It would seem everyone has jumped on the bandwagon as far as making a fast buck for doing no work. Where did it originate? It's hard to say. But maybe we should start to work on places where it can end. Maybe it's time we all take our heads out of the sand before we start choking on it. JMO

Sorry if I'm not making much sense. I've been up and working for a long time today. Now it's time to toddle off to bed.

Last edited by 14+kitties; February 6th, 2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: some links didn't work. I fixed 'em.
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

That is what I said...adopted in shelters where it is MANDATORY to have the animals spayed and neutered PRIOR to taking them home. No comment on the noise animals make....it appears humans make far more noise rather than the sweet sound of animals.

Humans are the nuisance Goldfields..not the animals. Again one should ask why so many ferals and strays...again my response is the same. Had people taken care of properly vetting their pets then you would not have this problem in Australia now would you?

So shooting is ok in Australia? Well looks like your laws are just as pathetic as ours. I was beginning to wonder. I was starting to think that where you are is much better than were I am...I was wrong it appears.
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
A lot of Councils now have curfews on urban cats for the same reasons though.
I am wondering if mandatory spay/neuter would be a better solution than curfews. I am NOT advocating for cats to be allowed to run loose, unsupervised at any time of the day mind you.

As for the feral cat population in areas of milder climate, I am sure it is a problem worldwide. Such a preventable problem too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
That is what I said...adopted in shelters where it is MANDATORY to have the animals spayed and neutered PRIOR to taking them home. No comment on the noise animals make....it appears humans make far more noise rather than the sweet sound of animals.
hallelujah, sister. I would much rather listen to cats/dogs/birds than the 4 wild children that live across the street from me

Humans are the nuisance Goldfields..not the animals. Again one should ask why so many ferals and strays...again my response is the same. Had people taken care of properly vetting their pets then you would not have this problem in Australia now would you?
Exactly! People allowing their pets to breed!

So shooting is ok in Australia? Well looks like your laws are just as pathetic as ours. I was beginning to wonder. I was starting to think that where you are is much better than were I am...I was wrong it appears.
TNR would be a much better solution. It would be so nice if only gov't would be on side with this. Wonder how much of their "entertainment" budget would have to be decreased to set up such a program . With grants going to volunteer organizations, probably not too many of their 4K lunches would have to go.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 5th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
As horrible as the mills are,people still buy from pet stores, online, kajiji, etc...grr!
And cats, ya, they are sure treated as disposable, which I find despicable.
GAH! HUMANS!

*gives Scruffy an extra snuggle*
Yes, and BYB's are becoming smarter so they look like rep breeders.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 5th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Yes, and BYB's are becoming smarter so they look like rep breeders.
I dealt with one case where a reputable breeder sold a dog and somehow this dog was found in the meninite (sorry spelling) community used for yes.....breeding. This is in the US.

So - there are some very well bred dogs in the hands of the millers.
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have much to say,that has not already been said.
Closing up stores who sell puppies/kittens(like here in Oakv)only put a small dent in the"business" of Puppy-Mills and BYB's,there are thousands of other ways,Internet-Sites,the worst.
I have no hope that people will change,if they can get a"pure-bred"dog for $500 rather than $3.000 from a reputable breeder,many will go the cheaper way.
An example,a friend of mine bought an Aussie Shepperd(sp?) for $500,only to later find out she's a mix.

Goldfields as you know,feral,stray cats are due to ignorant people,the unfortunate cats are the victims.
We who's love for our cats is no less than that for a dog,hope the message about spay/neuter is getting out there,we are getting more cheaper s/n clinics,which is a huge step in the right direction,but so much more needs to be done.

I actually saw a documentary about Aboriginal people in Australia,where they showed a group of women clubbing cats to death.
Feral cats were a food-source.
Now,I don't see it to be any worse than Canadians clubbing seals to death,which is only for $$$$.
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I dealt with one case where a reputable breeder sold a dog and somehow this dog was found in the meninite (sorry spelling) community used for yes.....breeding. This is in the US.

You know it is all about the almighty dollar and supply and demand and of course, the "status symbol" of owning "such and such of breed"

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 5th, 2011, 01:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:

For such a God fearing community the Mennonites are one of the worse animal abusing groups in existence. What they do to their horses is barbaric. They are on the plow from sunup to sundown in some areas. When not on the plow they are the mode of transportation. How many of us have seen the buggies going down the side of the road with very tired looking horses pulling? It has long been known they have a large number of puppy mills and yet what is being done? So sad.

Old February 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post

It has long been known they have a large number of puppy mills and yet what is being done? So sad.
As long as they are within the guidelines of the Law 14k....nothing else can be done.
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
For such a God fearing community the Mennonites are one of the worse animal abusing groups in existence. What they do to their horses is barbaric. They are on the plow from sunup to sundown in some areas. When not on the plow they are the mode of transportation. How many of us have seen the buggies going down the side of the road with very tired looking horses pulling? It has long been known they have a large number of puppy mills and yet what is being done? So sad.
There is one such community just inside the US border here and I just about cried seeing a poor horse going into town in the cold poring rain so the man could go shopping at Lowes. He parked his horse and buggy in the parking lot and that poor horse was soaking wet (I saw him on a side road while we were on the interstate about 20 miles from Lowes, then saw the horse and buggy parked at the Lowes lot when we come out of the store). I don't recall seeing any deer on the way because they were tucked away deep in the woods under cover. Point being, these poor animals don't get a chance to seek shelter while roaming free animals do.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Last edited by Love4himies; February 5th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Are the Mennonites above the law?
Is there no-one ever reporting them,for puppymills and animal-cruelty?
Poor horses,would break my heart

I remember seeing a puppy-mill raid once that were run by Mennonites..
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Thank you for posting this 14+. It certainly is a problem around the world.

I am going to post this on my notes section on FB in hopes of educating even at least one person... IMO that in itself is worth it.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Goldfields as you know,feral,stray cats are due to ignorant people,the unfortunate cats are the victims.
We who's love for our cats is no less than that for a dog,hope the message about spay/neuter is getting out there,we are getting more cheaper s/n clinics,which is a huge step in the right direction,but so much more needs to be done.
I actually saw a documentary about Aboriginal people in Australia,where they showed a group of women clubbing cats to death.
Feral cats were a food-source.
Now,I don't see it to be any worse than Canadians clubbing seals to death,which is only for $$$$.
I said that in the outback feral cats are treated as vermin. This is , in part only, what Wikipedia says about the history of feral cats.

Historical records date the arrival of feral cats in Australia at around 1824.[9] Despite that, it has been suggested that feral cats have been present in Australia since before European settlement, and may have arrived with Dutch shipwrecks in the 17th century, or even before that, arriving from present-day Indonesia with Macassan fisherman and trepangers who frequented Australia's shores.[10]

So, enough about ignorant people. Of course they were ignorant back then. I don't think they ever thought about or understood the environmental impact their cats might have, do you? As for aboriginal women clubbing cats to death, shooting would be better. Faster and more humane. Not as bad as poisoning them . In some countries people eat dogs, or horses, all pretty gruesome if you ask me. Stopping with the cats though, is it better to let native species go extinct because cats leave you feeling warm and fuzzy? I don't think so. I think cats, like dogs, have their place, and wild populations should be stamped out. I've a friend who goes deer hunting and he's seen dog packs that are extremely dangerous, to humans as well as stock. TNR is NOT an option out there when they want to rid the country of its feral cat population, and L4H, these cats are not 'owned' by anyone. In the civilised areas, fair enough, we can only use the same measures as any other country.
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM
banned user

...Name:  popcorn.gif
Views: 582
Size:  2.9 KB...
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post

Too funny.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkalibur View Post
that is hilarious.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
TNR is NOT an option out there when they want to rid the country of its feral cat population, and L4H, these cats are not 'owned' by anyone. In the civilised areas, fair enough, we can only use the same measures as any other country.
Perhaps not, but neither is clubbing. In a Trap/neuter/release program, the cats that are sterilized are not "owned" by anybody either. The purpose is to eliminate the breeding and to allow cats to live out their lives as peacefully as feral cats can.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)