Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Rate this food?

If you had to rate this food, would you say that it is pretty good or not so much?

Ingredients:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Duck, Pearled Barley, Oat Flour, Corn, Fish Meal, Whole Egg, Brewers Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Beet Pulp, Cheese, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Lactobacillus Salivarius, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Selenite.
Old September 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Can you give the percentage breakdown as well? It sounds by reading it to be very high in protein so not necessarily a good choice for all dog breeds.
Old September 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM

I'd say better than Purina and Euk, but not as good as wellness and solid gold and other foods of that range. I don't like the corn and brewer's rice. The rest is ok. I don't think cheese is great either- it's fatty, expensive and there are other ways to get calcium if that is it's main purpose in the food. Plus, I could pay less and give my doggies real cheese anyway, right? You probably pay extra for the Lactobacillus too, when you could just give yogurt. The bacteria are probably dead from the cooking too so they wouldn't be helpful anyway.
Old September 29th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein not less than 27%, Crude Fat not less than 18%, Crude Fiber not more than 3.5%, Moisture not more than 10%, Ash not more than 7.5%, Calcium not less than 1.3%, Phosphorus not less than 1.0%.

And this would be for my beagles incase the breed makes a difference.

What ones in the Wellness or Solid Gold is the best? There are just so many.
Old September 29th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Are your beagles puppies still or are you looking for adult formulas?

I like the bison and salmon Solid gold. They are the tastiest. They have one for little high energy dogs but it's a bit expensive (Just a Wee Bit). (It also has 27% protein and 18% fat, so it should only be used for really, really active doggies.) I think it's ok to feed the large breed one (Wolf King), I can't see any huge difference in ingredients but the calories, fat and protein are a bit lower in the large breed one (so if they aren't really, really active, it might be a better choice).
Here are the two:
Wee Bit
Wolf King

For Wellness.. I know some doggies who don't like it, so if your doggies are picky, I say stick with the fishy one.
Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato
Old September 30th, 2005, 07:56 AM

The dogs are actually still puppies (10 months and 9 weeks) so I was looking at the puppy one. I was thinking Wellness Super5Mix, or a choice of 2 from the solid gold. I will see what one I can find.
Old September 30th, 2005, 11:19 AM

I vote for the Super5mix. It's fishy and good and probably much cheaper than the wolf cub.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:04 PM

I ended up going with Merrick's Puppy Plate. I liked that it has real veggies in it and if you add water it makes gravy.

I was told before that this is a really good food and the % seemed to be comparable to the Super5Mix.

What do you think about this one?

These are the ingredients.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Not Less Than) 28.0%
Crude Fat (Not Less Than) 14.0%
Crude Fiber (Not More Than) 3.5%
Moisture (Not More Than) 10.0%

Calorie Content:
3615 kcal/kg - One pound provides 1643 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value. (Caloric content calculated using Modified Atwater Method)

Ingredients:
Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Oatmeal, Whole Barley, Duck, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols – a source of Vitamin E and Ascorbic Acid, a source of Vitamin C), Potatoes, Carrots, Peas, Natural Dried Chicken Liver, Whole Apples, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Lysine, Guar Gum, Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Whole Blueberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Whole Clove Garlic, Dried Chicken, Chicory Root, Marigold Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterocococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Natural Celery Flavor, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Natural Color (tumeric), Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Niacin, Lecithin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:05 PM

LOL I didn't even bring Merrick into the conversation because it's usually too expensive for people. I think it's great food.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo was switched to adult food at 10 months - but each dog is different - certainly his new food - Salmon A La Veg - corn free agrees with him immensely. Even if you leave your 10 month old Beagle on puppy food for 2 months, guess you will have new decision to make in 2 months. Hope you are having fun training the pups - but you though you have had some trying days. We had a Beagle - adopted at 7 - died at 20. Loved his food - almost as much as the Dachshunds that followed. Both breeds got along very well with our cats - actually the cats bossed the Beagle around - it was very funny.
Old September 30th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
LOL I didn't even bring Merrick into the conversation because it's usually too expensive for people. I think it's great food.
It was pretty close in price to the Super5Mix so I went with it. We'll see if they like it.