Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 26th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

On behave of my friend and her doberman

My friend has a standard poodle that was easy to train and handle...now her husband got himself a doberman and he is only 7 months old. They are having big problems with keeping him from chewing every piece of furniture in the house. She is very upset because what worked for her poodle is not working for her doberman. She asked me if I knew any good trianers in the Vaudreuil area (off Montreal). She is ready to find him a new home. She is now keeping him in the garage to keep him out of trouble!!! I personally don't like that, but she has had it!!!
I did tell her that Winnie also chewed when her teeth were coming in, but she doesn't really want to hear why....but how to stop this behavior!!!
any suggestions?
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I'm praying that the garage is heated!

First thing she should consider is a crate and not in the garage. Second she is in Vaudreuil so I would suggest she check out Guide Canin for training.

Doberman's are highly active dogs requiring a ton of exercise. A tired Doberman is a happy Doberman therefore a non-chewing pup! Doberman's need a lot of stimulation and doing some obedience with the dog will help it to better focus.

I hope it works out.
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

the dobie needs a ton of exercise, I agree with BDM luver, he needs at least 2-3 walks a day, 45 minutes each if possible. poor thing, maybe a new home is better for him.
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:17 AM

ditto on the exercise. My folks have a dobey and she was a puppy. Increasing exercise AND mental stiumlation (group training classes, etc.) she become an (almost ). Such a smart and amazing dog. Puppies can give you a hard time, that is part of the price you pay for having a cuteness overload at home...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Nothing will be learnt nor trained while a pup is in isolation in the garage. This will lead to many more separate behavioural problems in the very near future...separation anxiety to name only one.

Dobermans are high energy, highly trainable, intelligent and very reactive to their masters. If this dog is not getting the appropriate exercise and mental stimulation, then chewing will be the least of their problems. One thing that puzzles me really....did they not know that puppies chew?

Reach out to LuckyPenny...she may have some wonderful tips.

Last edited by BenMax; January 27th, 2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added info.
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

thank you for all your input. She is pretty much doing everything out of ignorance. She loves her dogs, but she beleives keeping him in the garage when they go out is the only thing that will safe him from destroying the house.I told her aboutt eh crate, but she did not take that idea either.
I will pass along all your suggestions. She seems like someone who although loves her dogs...they are dogs none the less in her eyes. i suggested she find him a better home, but that did not do over well.

Benmax...her poodle chewed, but somehow learned quickly not to. The doberman has a lot of chew toys apparently, but still prefers to chew on furniture.
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
thank you for all your input. She is pretty much doing everything out of ignorance. She loves her dogs, but she beleives keeping him in the garage when they go out is the only thing that will safe him from destroying the house.I told her aboutt eh crate, but she did not take that idea either.
I will pass along all your suggestions. She seems like someone who although loves her dogs...they are dogs none the less in her eyes. i suggested she find him a better home, but that did not do over well.

Benmax...her poodle chewed, but somehow learned quickly not to. The doberman has a lot of chew toys apparently, but still prefers to chew on furniture.

People like that almost shouldn't own dogs. So what if she says she "loves" her dog, sure doesn't sound like it based on her completely ignorant treatment of the dog. The dog needs to be crate trained, and by that I don't mean just thrown in a crate as a mean of confinement. He needs to be surpervised when out of the crate so that he never gets the opportunity to begin to chew. Dobermans are highly intelligent and very energetic dogs, with matching requirements for physical and mental stimulation. Sounds like they picked a completely inappropriate breed for their lifestyle and are unwilling to change in order to accommodate the dog's needs.

This dog is not going to get any better with time and is not going to just outgrow this. If they are unwilling to put in the time and work necessary they seriously should re-home this dog (which they really should not have gotten in the first place!) before they ruin the dog even more which will make it that much harder to place, which will only spell certain death for the dog. I hope for his sake he's at least a good looking dobe.

He is only 7 months old now and already out of their control! He is just barely beginning his dober-teens (dobes btw are notorious for being high maintenance juveniles). How are they going to handle this when the dog is almost a year old, fully grown, far more destructive then it is now, and beginning to show aggression towards them and other people as they have obviously completely failed at setting any sort of structure for him.

How is hiring a trainer going to help them if you already approached her about doing crate training and she doesn't want to do it? The problem isn't the dog, it's the people. If they aren't willing to change, no trainer in the world will help this dog. Idiots like this is why there are dogs dying in shelters every day.
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Doggie Wench

Cpietra, is she on the west island as well? I have a full bottle of bitter spray (to spray over what she doesn't want the pup chewing) here if you think that might help her. I can get it downtown or, if someone can meet me tomorrow morning at Pierrefonds (I have a 10am appointment)? Along with plenty of exercise as already mentioned, she also needs to provide lots of appropriate toys that her dog can chew on. Does she have a Kong or two she can fill with kibble?

I second BMDLuver's suggestion for Guides Canins in St. Lazarre. She'll learn everything she needs to there if she's interested in training. One of the best in Quebec imo. http://www.guidescanins.com/en/index.html
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Cpietra, is she on the west island as well? I have a full bottle of bitter spray (to spray over what she doesn't want the pup chewing) here if you think that might help her. I can get it downtown or, if someone can meet me tomorrow morning at Pierrefonds (I have a 10am appointment)? Along with plenty of exercise as already mentioned, she also needs to provide lots of appropriate toys that her dog can chew on. Does she have a Kong or two she can fill with kibble?

I second BMDLuver's suggestion for Guides Canins in St. Lazarre. She'll learn everything she needs to there if she's interested in training. One of the best in Quebec imo. http://www.guidescanins.com/en/index.html
Honestly, while I think your offer is very noble and helpful, I don't think bitter apple is the solution here, even a temporary one. First of all not all dogs dislike the taste of it, I even know a few weirdos who liked it. Second of all the chewing is a symptom of a dog that is frustrated and bored with nothing better to do. You need to take away the cause of the chewing, trying to block the chewing of the couch will only redirect the frustration towards some thing else. What if you spray the couch with bitter spray, the dog hates it and stops chewing the couch, but then proceeds to dig a hole through the dry wall, or begins to chew doors or floors. You can actually create more of a problem when you force the dog to redirect to new previously uninteresting objects. ...Unless you add active training, active supervision, and appropriate and engaging toys.. in which case you shouldn't need the bitter spray to begin with. No spray on the market will be a better substitute for actually watching the dog, saying NO when he starts to chew something inappropriate, and quickly handing him a chew toy, or even taking him out for a 2h run to burn off some energy (complicated by the fact you can't run large breeds of that age on pavement jogging style as the repetitive strides can cause irreversible damage to their joints).
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Doggie Wench

Choochi, I'm more than aware of dogs' needs. If this friend of cpietra's is open to a little help, then she'll likely be more receptive of further advice. I don't choose harsh criticism as the way to effectively help others.
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
I can get it downtown or, if someone can meet me tomorrow morning at Pierrefonds (I have a 10am appointment)? Along with plenty of exercise as already mentioned, she also needs to provide lots of appropriate toys that her dog can chew on. http://www.guidescanins.com/en/index.html
LP I live in Pierrefonds and would be happy to meet you if need be. Just let me know! If you are going to the clinic I am five minutes away. I can meet you there or you can swing by for a coffee!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Di, I sent you an email .
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Cpietra, I know it's late but if you see this tonight or early tomorrow, I can also lend your friend a crate if she wants to learn how to use one appropriately. You can send me a pm or email.
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:18 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
Di, I sent you an email .
Got it...hope to get to meet you!

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
People like that almost shouldn't own dogs. So what if she says she "loves" her dog, sure doesn't sound like it based on her completely ignorant treatment of the dog. The dog needs to be crate trained, and by that I don't mean just thrown in a crate as a mean of confinement. He needs to be surpervised when out of the crate so that he never gets the opportunity to begin to chew. Dobermans are highly intelligent and very energetic dogs, with matching requirements for physical and mental stimulation. Sounds like they picked a completely inappropriate breed for their lifestyle and are unwilling to change in order to accommodate the dog's needs.

This dog is not going to get any better with time and is not going to just outgrow this. If they are unwilling to put in the time and work necessary they seriously should re-home this dog (which they really should not have gotten in the first place!) before they ruin the dog even more which will make it that much harder to place, which will only spell certain death for the dog. I hope for his sake he's at least a good looking dobe.

He is only 7 months old now and already out of their control! He is just barely beginning his dober-teens (dobes btw are notorious for being high maintenance juveniles). How are they going to handle this when the dog is almost a year old, fully grown, far more destructive then it is now, and beginning to show aggression towards them and other people as they have obviously completely failed at setting any sort of structure for him.

How is hiring a trainer going to help them if you already approached her about doing crate training and she doesn't want to do it? The problem isn't the dog, it's the people. If they aren't willing to change, no trainer in the world will help this dog. Idiots like this is why there are dogs dying in shelters every day.
I have to agree with you on this Choochi. You must be in rescue or shelter to make the comment that you hope it is a good looking doberman. I know others may take offence to this comment, but I do understand it and actually if it comes down to a doberman being re-homed in the future, I am afraid you are bang on right about the appearance...at the very least.

But we are not there yet nor at even remotely this point. Though it is the people and really not the dog...I always say that we can teach people old tricks. So let us see what happens and hopefully all works out.
Old January 28th, 2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Choochi, I'm more than aware of dogs' needs. If this friend of cpietra's is open to a little help, then she'll likely be more receptive of further advice. I don't choose harsh criticism as the way to effectively help others.
LP sorry if you feel I'm being harsh but it really irks me when I see people treat dogs like a worthless piece of furniture which is exactly what is happening here. If these people can't change their ways, this dog will be PTS in some shelter sooner or later. Just how many years do you think they can put up with this? The dog isn't even a year old and he's already been pushed aside into the garage. How many adoptive or foster homes do you think are lined up waiting for a destructive adolescent doberman, especially if he does ever bite any of his owners under what ever circumstances out of pure boredom and frustration?
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Doggie Wench

So, what you're saying is we shouldn't help cpietra in her request for suggestions . I don't get the feeling she was asking for us to condemn her friend, she was asking for ideas.

I perfectly understand what you're saying, Choochi, I just don't see how you propose to help her friend and, in turn, help the dog.
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM

You're right, consider my post mostly venting.