Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 25th, 2009, 04:06 PM

for an easy delivery, lots of healthy, healthy kittens and more kitty love in about 3 weeks than you can possibly stand!

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs
Old April 25th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow,this is nervy,hopefully the babies are born by now and no complications
Thank you for taking her in,at least now the kittens and her will have a chance and she will have a good home
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

for momma and babies.

Next thing on the agenda:

Digital camera, pics posted on pets.ca is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
-

Hopefully soon.
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Wink

No kittens yet. She has Been sleeping a lot. She has had a few bites of food and lots of water I hope it will be this weekend! It should be. I will try to get pictures on when my computer is fixed it should be soon. I have been using my iPod lately so that's why my writing is messed up. Her name is Luna I haven't told the name yet. Whoops ! She's doing good though I will keep y'all updated!
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:40 PM
-

Every time you post I get all excited thinking the babies have arrived .....the suspense is killing me.

Hope it is soon.
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Smile

Her water broke I think it's a lot of odorless liquid so think that's what it is I will keep you updated
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM

That's it, labour has started (I hope). If she is like my cat the contractions won't be visible until right before she pushes out a kitten. (She will be having them, you just won't see them, although if she doesn't mind you touching her side u may feel them. ) She may pant a bit, or get up and pace in circles like she can't get comfortable. Then she will give one or two really strong pushes and you will see her sides ripple, and the kitten will come out. She won't necessarily be lying down for this part, either. She may do it while standing up, or may stand up with the kitten halfway out and push in that position.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM

She is still calm but she is getting up and walking around a little too. She can't reach to lick the fluids coming out so she likes it when we wipe it off for her. She has eaten a little this morning.
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ooooooh, I am getting excited. Can't wait for the birth.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:38 AM

What is the max time that can pass after her water breaks that the kittens should be born before worrying.?!
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:45 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb17 View Post
What is the max time that can pass after her water breaks that the kittens should be born before worrying.?!
Please call your vet asap. The cat could be in trouble. Better safe than sorry IMO.
http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/...ter-break.html

Question:
I was wondering if a cat has a water that breaks when she is going into labor.

Answer:
This is not common. Normally kittens are delivered in a sac with fluid. The sac may burst while coming out. Often the mother helps to open it. In humans the water often breaks long before the actual birth.

It is not uncommon in cats that during contractions a yellowy fluid or some blood comes out but this is not the same as the water you are referring to.

From another site:

Once the water breaks, it is usually within hours that labor begins. Is it possible the cat pee'ed instead of the water breaking? If you are absolutely sure the cat's water broke, then she needs to get to a vet to figure out why no labor?
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:50 AM

Unhappy

It was a yellowish fluid. and it was about a tablespoon and it keeps leaking out a little. She seems ok she isn't acting like anything is wrong. Please say this is normal
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

From Ask Me Help Desk:

My cat is in labour. About 24 hours ago she was nesting and had a fluid bubble break but no kittens yet?! She is comfortable and friendly, secluded. She does not seem to be in any distress or pain. Her tummy is contracting slightly. She is eating and drinking small amounts. My concern is the time frame. Is it normal for her water to break and then it take so long before she gives birth?

Answer:
No, it's not normal at all. The entire litter should normally be delivered within 6 hours of labor starting. The most likely case is that your cat has a (now-dead) kitten stuck in the birthing canal. You need to get to a vet to see what needs to be done to fix this problem. Most likely you are looking at surgery to remove the kittens.

Question:
When a queen goes into labor does her water break? And, if so what color and concistancy does it have? I noticed a yellow stain on my bed when I just arrived home and it has no odor, and is very yellow and clear.

Answer from a vet.....
I don't know that anyone has actually seen the amniotic fluid from a pregnant cat. There is so little and the queen usually is into nesting big time when the time comes. If this is her first pregnancy, she may not know what to do. You may need to provide her a nesting area, and plenty of quiet. Cats under stress can delay giving birth for a very long time, sometimes to the detriment of the kittens.

Do you have any idea on her breeding date? Have you had an x-ray to count the number of kittens?
____
Remember no online advice can truly replace the senses of touch, seeing, hearing, and feeling. Please always check with your veterinarian before changing his or her treatment plan. I am always happy to provide follow up information as well, but feel free to tap one of the other experts if I am not available.

Dr Richard

Don't want to panic you but really, check with your vet.
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb17 View Post
It was a yellowish fluid. and it was about a tablespoon and it keeps leaking out a little. She seems ok she isn't acting like anything is wrong. Please say this is normal
See, the thing is..... we are not vets. Nor do we/can we act as midwives. We can't give medical advise. If you are worried then please get in touch with your vet. I for one can not say if it's "normal" because I have not seen a lot of births. I deal with the after effects.
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Well I'm going to wait a little while because it sounds like the question in the middle that u put about the place on the bed. It just happened about an hour and a half ago. It looks like it's loosening up down there on her if that makes any sense. Thanks for the advce I will be calling the vet if this continues
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Catlover2

This sounds like a preliminary stage to birthing to me. You will see when she is in active labour and trying to expel the kitten, sometimes it's a couple of pushes and out it pops, sometime a little longer. If there's active pushing, say, for an hour and no kitten, I would get her to vet as she may have, as 14K suggested, a stillborn kitten, or it might be a difficult breech birth (bottom first instead of head). Another thing to watch for is after delivery of say 2 kittens or more and she has not settled and is still pushing but no kittens, she may develop "uterine inertia" where there are no strong contractions. Get her immediately to a vet as she will need medication to stimulate contractions and may need C-section. Keep calm and give her support if she wants it, and remember complications are the exception, most birthings go well.

Last edited by catlover2; April 26th, 2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM

You were right her first was a stillborn the second is fine but she hasn't had anymore yet her stomach is still lumpy and hard though. So I think she will have another one it's been about 25 min. Since the last one.
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Catlover2

Everthing sounds OK so far. Better for her to have a little rest than to have kittens pop out one after the other in quick succession.
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM

Unhappy

She had another still born about an hour ago it was deformed. I believe it is from when she was so malnourished when she came to us. I dunno if she's going to have another she seems like she may. So, so far only one living kitten
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Catlover2

Yes her malnourishment is likely the cause or she mated with too close relative (brother, father), but more likely lack of good food. Is the one kitten actively nursing? Does Luna seem settled yet or still in a 'waiting mode'? It's always sad and disappointing to see a stillborn, but that's the way it is sometimes. :sad:
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM

She is still licking down there and is in and out of sleeping and sitting up I think she still has one atleast left I felt it. Both of the still borns looked the same and the one that's living looks different than the other two. So it could be too close of a relative I don't know though
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Catlover2

You're a good patient "doula", Seb. Isn't that what a labour coach is called? Hope the next one is all right. A litter of 4 is average, but I had a queen that had 6 one time, but she was quite big. Hope the one (little boy or girl?) is showing interest in nursing. Occasionally a kitten will start to nurse initially, but then show lack of interest and fail to grab the teat and suck, and will actually crawl away from momcat to a corner of the box, and if brought back, to mom will do it again. This is "failure to thrive" and there is nothing that can be done for it. Nature has a reason for it not to survive and natural instinct in the kitten makes it crawl away from the litter so it doesn't contaminate the rest---at least this is what would happen in the wild.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM

It has been a little over 2 hours but you can clearly tell there's atleast one more I'm worried is this ok? I tried to call my vet and she's on vacation and there's no emergency number so I guess I'll have to call another one if she doesn't have one soon. I'm so mad how can a vet do that. I won't be going there any more if they can't be reliable
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Does the vet not have an emergency contact? If she doesn't deliver soon, you may have to take her in, take all living babies with her in the carrier.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I know nothing of birthing kittens,but if she already had 2 still-born ,I would worryher and the one kitten are ok!
If nothiing happens soon,you'll have to take her to a vet,any vet.
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Catlover2

It's unusual for a vet not to have another number to call in an emergency. Call another vet to see if they can assist if necessary. 2 hrs. isn't that long since the last one. I have had queen that delivered in afternoon and then another one during the early hours of the next morning. If she seems distressed and has not delivered by tomorrow morning definitely take her to the vet to be checked out, and yes, take her kitten with her.
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:25 PM

She just had another still born which make 4 still born. 2 didn't have ribs or many bones at all. I think the other two died recently. She has another one left though I'm pretty sure
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Catlover2

I'm confused. Were there 4 stillborn? Aww, poor Luna...this is so sad. How is the #2 kitty that is alive, is it nursing well? Did they all come out with their placentas intact? If not, she should be checked by a vet. You don't want a retained placenta; it will cause infection; nor do you want a retained stillborn if she still has another to come---same result (pyometra). She would have to be spayed immediately and on medication. Hope that doesn't happen. Were you abe to contact another vet, just in case?

Last edited by catlover2; April 26th, 2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM

4 still born the last one had blood coming out of it's nose and came out after15 min. The living one is good it's nursing. Luna had a very rough time with the last delivery. I think she has one more. I didn't contact a vet the kitten was born

Tags
cat, complications, due date, pregnant, pregnant cat