Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 7th, 2011, 05:24 PM

dog eating other dog's poop

Hello, Pets.ca

My 11 months old huskyX just started eating other dog's frozen poop (not interested in fresh ones) so going to the dog park became quite stressful because I have to keep calling her back to me (which she comes fairly quickly even when her nose is right onto the subject, but my throat gets overused every time we go to the park!!).
She eats good quality dry dog food with some fresh and cooked food twice a day, she is fixed and I don't think she's stressed out.
I haven't been able to come across a sufficient description of commercial coprophagia treatment pills, if it makes her own poop distasteful or if it supplies possible minerals and vitamins she lacks in her diet which seems to be one of the causes of coprophagia?
But I'm just wondering if it works, or even worth trying for this problem?
Or the training is the only way to correct this problem?
All those things to sprinkle on her food, like molasses, brewer's east, spinach, pumpkins and pineapples are all make her own poop distasteful so it won't do it if she only eats other dog's poop, right?
And is it a reasonable assumption that she may grow out of it?

Thanks very much.
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM

yucky habit???

I have a 5.5 month old german short haired pointer who does this also, but he isn't so picky lol. he eats his own poop (frozen, and fresh), cat poop, and rabbit poop from out in the yard. He will eat any poop he can find. it is very stressful for me as i have to keep baby gates up in the house so he wont go excavating thru the litter box. he comes in the house with his teeth covered in poop, then when he plays with his toys, they get covered in it. or if he grabs your clothes, they get covered in it. i had to buy mint flavoured dog cookies. it is a horrible habit. the vet said he will outgrow this habit, and he is not lacking in vitamins or minerals. he is on a very good dog food, and is very healthy. she said many young dogs do this. i find it very distressing. i would welcome any advice as well to get him to stop. i am stressed right there with you.....
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

My gal eats only her own fresh poop I have to call her off after she's done. Now Ceasar Milan said once that bananas replaces the missing nutrients for poo eaters. Didn't try it myself yet.
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Senior Contributor

really bananas? How much bananas per meal did he say?

This really grosses me out and I couldn't even read all of the parts of the posts as I start to feel .

But I'm going to try bananas cause this grosses me out.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)

Tags
behavior changes, dog, poop eating