Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Recently spayed cat attacking other animals

Hi everyone

In January I adopted a stray female cat. Strudel. On Tuesday, she got spayed, she was also pregnant and had an abortion. (I've kept her indoor since adopting her but she snuck out one day and got pregnant.)

She is a very sweet cat, gets along with the other 3 female cats and our miniature Shnauzer, Austin. She has been especially loving with me and my husband since the surgery. But last night I woke up 4 times to cats screaming and fighting. She has been attacking all the animals in the house!!

I'm especially worried about my 8 year old cat Tubbie who is easily intimidated. She's been hiding in a corner ever since... Knowing Tubbie I'm afraid she will now feel like the house is limited to her, and won't want to go near Strudel's hangouts, which are hallway... to bedrooms (whole back end of house basically). I keep 2 litter boxes in spare bedroom and also Tubbie likes to lay in bed with us.

Recommendations anyone? Will this blow over?
Any idea why this normally sweet kitty is turning evil towards the others??

~Thanks~
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Maybe a quick call to your vet, may be a sign your kitty is in pain.

I had that issue with Sweet Pea, who did not have an abortion, but did get spayed after her kittens were weaned. I thought maybe it was hormone imbalance. It lasted for a about a week and she calmed down after that. She was not my cat at the time (foster), but if she was I would have taken her for a post op check with my vet.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

It could be that since you brought her back from the vet's office she finds your other animal's scents unfamiliar. I know the few times I've brought one of my gang back from an overnight vet visit there are hisses for a while in the household.

They come back and the scent is different. It could be your kitty being gone she can't place the scent of her housemates and she thinks they are strangers to her. It might be a good idea to get some baby powder and rub it on all of them. I recently read someone also recommending a bit of vanilla under a cat's chin to help neutralize scents. I have an after bath spray to put on my cats after I give them a bath, so something like that might be helpful.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:36 AM

I have also had experience with my kitties coming back from the vet acting different with the others not recognizing their scent etc.. but this is different. First it wasn't right away it is 2 days later. And also it's not just hissing, growling, it is a full out chase around the house swatting and screaming attack.

The hormone imbalance is probable, and what we assume is the problem.

I did call the vet, told me to give it a couple days to see if things would get back to normal.

She really does not seem like she is in pain.

Last edited by Grace27; June 19th, 2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My guess is hormonal changes. With the abortion, the spaying, all the changes she's gone through, it's to be expected.
I, like L4H, have just had a cat spayed after weaning kittens. But I am a mean person. I had her in a large dog kennel because I knew she was going to be miserable/cranky. Also I wanted to protect her from the other kitties in the house. She was a "B" with my house kitty before she was fixed; always attacking her, so I knew to watch for it afterward.
I would give her a few days. Is there a room she can be in by herself to recoup without the other kitties around? My little lady really seemed to enjoy knowing no one could get to her. Maybe all she needs is to have a while to recover fully. You may need to do a slow reintroduce afterward but it may be worth it for your peace of mind in the meanwhile. Just my

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

If she is in pain, cats are very good at hiding that. Can you perhaps get some Feliway or better, Rescue Remedy? You can try putting a few drops of the Rescue Remedy in her water or rub it on her chin or ear. It does though seem like a good idea to take her to the vet in a few days and have her checked, just to make sure there isn't another issue that might have her acting like that.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
But I am a mean person. I had her in a large dog kennel because I knew she was going to be miserable/cranky.
That's not mean, that is smart

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 19th, 2008, 02:31 PM

14 + kitties I will take your advice and keep Strudel in a different room for a couple days and hopefully, she'll get back to being her old self. I should've done that in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
If she is in pain, cats are very good at hiding that. Can you perhaps get some Feliway or better, Rescue Remedy?

Yes you are right, and I never assumed she wasn't in pain in my previous post. I guess what I meant, if I can explain myself better, is that other than those attacks her actions did not indicate that she was suffering or was/is uncomfortable in any way. She had been acting completely normal up until last night, she has been more active and sweeter than before she was spayed. Which is why I was surprised when she began acting up. And it's not like the other cats bother her or get too close to her, it's Studel that seeks them out.

And I will give that Feliway a try.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.