Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 31st, 2004, 04:15 PM

My dog has cancer & congestive heart failure

My beloved 12 year old dog has been diagnosed with cancer. He has a large tumor on his heart, which has caused it to become enlarged. I have been told he has anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to lilve.

It's been 3 weeks now, and I see that he is beginning to lose weight. He also has (as Vet predicted) spells where he either blacks out or loses strength.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a dog? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? How will I know when it's time to say goodbye?

Thanks,

Pip's Mom
Old December 31st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

so sorry

So sorry to hear that he is not well. If you are asking the question when will I know, I think you already know that it is time. Let him go with peace and dignity being held and loved. I know that I would like to go while I still have some quality of life left.
Old December 31st, 2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,don't wait until his discomfort becomes unbearable...it is going to be one of the most difficult desicions to make,but don't let him suffer :sad:
The procedure is not painful,he'll go to sleep peacefully,it's us left behind who suffer the pain of loss,I've been through it a few times...each time I waited hoping for a miracle,but miracles don't happen and the animal suffers needlessly and I'll never wait too long again :sad:
We have a good bunch of people here who all understand,so please come back if you need comforting :love:
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I also had to make this decision with Den-Den2 who was 13yo. He had a malignant tumor which caused a colon blockage. It was discovered when we had to take him to the emergency vet because he was in pain. They did surgery to clear the blockage and we took him home hoping the biopsy would be benign and we could manage the tumor with diet. The vet told us the bad news and advised he felt the tumor was inoperable . He was feeling great, playing, eating, drinking, but unable to do his business. We knew it would be a matter of days before he would again be in pain from a blockage. I couldn't bear to take him back into the vets so soon after bringing him home. My vet, God bless him, agreed to come by my house on his way home. I spent the day with him, holding him, letting him know I loved him. He died in my arms. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but it was the easiest for my baby. The vet gave him an injection that put him to sleep. Then he gave him the injection that stopped his heart. I know he wasn't afraid or in pain and he died peacefully. I'll always be grateful to that vet. I'm crying now just writing about it and it was 25 years ago. I am so sorry you're going through this now. This is the last act of kindness and love you can give him.
Old December 31st, 2004, 07:24 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip&Zita's_Mom
My beloved 12 year old dog has been diagnosed with cancer. He has a large tumor on his heart, which has caused it to become enlarged. I have been told he has anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to lilve.

It's been 3 weeks now, and I see that he is beginning to lose weight. He also has (as Vet predicted) spells where he either blacks out or loses strength.

Has anyone had a similar experience with a dog? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable? How will I know when it's time to say goodbye?

Thanks,

Pip's Mom
You will know when the time comes to do what you have to do, he will let you know.

There are some drugs to ease symptoms of his disease. If he seems in pain, your vet can Rx something to ease this. A small dose of Tylenol w/codiene is only recommended for the terminally ill dogs. It will ease the pain and still leave him with the ability to savor life. Empirin w/ codiene works great too. (Breaking rules)

Ask your vet about a Winstrol V injection. This is a controled scheduled drug (steroid) in the US. This drug will boost his energy and appetite. (This is the illegal steroid drug athletes use)

I know you are hospicing your baby...my heart goes out to you, this is not easy.

Certain foods to try, (time to break rules)..liverwurst, bacon, raw liver, cooked fish, cooked ckicken dark meat, hot dogs, ham..etc, anything to encourage an appetite. Gerber baby food works sometimes too.

Nutrical supplement or Val Syrup, Linctonic or any other high calorie supplement can go along way too. These are like a doggie Geritol, packed full of nutrients!

Please keep us posted.. I'm sure others will add...hopefully..

Thank You!