Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Angry Dog Issues

I Have A 11 Year Old Female Pit Bull,who Likes To Eat Underware,she Use To Just Rip Them Up But Now Shes Swallows Whole Pairs Of Underware,only Female Underware Mine Or My Lil Nieces Who Are 3 And 4,my Boyfriends Underware She Will Rip Up But Wont Eat.then A Couple Days Later She Will Throw Up Like 3 Pairs Of Underware At A Time.please Help Me With This Problem Or Point Me In The Right Direction,so I Can Get This Taken Care Of,thank You So Much
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:02 PM
-

maybe your dog is board ? Is she getting enough exercise ? Has anything changed in her life lately ? I would suggest to keep all clothes away before she gets a blockage :sad:
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I think Frenchy's exercise suggestion is a good one.

Other things you can try is to re-direct her to appropriate chew toys everytime you catch her with a pair of underwear.

When it comes down to it though, it's your responsibility to keep your dog safe, so when you can't watch her, make sure she's in a safe area with nothing to chew or eat.

One of my dogs, for example, has figured out how to take food off shelves, even very high ones. Because this could make him very ill, depending on what he gets, I make sure he can't have access to the kitchen when I'm not watching him.

Since ingesting underwear could lead to a very serious and costly situation, it's far better to just prevent the problem all together.
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Your situation is not unique. Some dogs have a tendancy to go after diapers and 'female' products as well. Instead of trying to find a way to train her away from this, perhaps training everyone to put underwear away in the hamper would work 100%. There is less effort on your part instead of training and trouble shooting and training and trouble shooting.

I am not trying to be judgemental or mean - please do not read it this way.

I think that this is the safest solution for your dog and it will not cost you in vet bills. You have been lucky thus far that nothing serious has happened.

I hope that this advice helps.
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:43 PM

My dog, Hogan, eats socks! He eats them whole and either throws them up or passes them whole. ouch!!!! Sounds funny but it can be serious. I agree, the best solution is prevention. That means you have to keep all underwear and other soft cloth things totally out of reach. She may just change her taste and start on something else. In Hogans case, we still have no idea why he did it and at 8 1/2, he will still do it if allowed. He was well exercised. He just isn't allowed near anything like a sock or soft cloth toy. It makes me keep a clean house.