Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 10th, 2003, 09:23 PM

Question Information on Breeding

Hi I have a Bullmastif female which I am interested in Breeding. I am new at this so I am trying to obtain information are possible studs as well as any other inforamtion that could be useful to me. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Nadine
Old September 10th, 2003, 11:36 PM
Senior Contributor

First of all, is your bitch titled and health tested for any and all genetic defects common to the breed?

Only dogs judged to be outstanding specimens of the breed should be bred. No one on a message board could possibly go into enough detail to be helpful to you. It will take a lot of time, with much research to know everything you need to know.

I would suggest you start by showing your bitch - if you haven't already - and seeing how far she gets. This can be costly and time consuming, but necessary to see if she is indeed breeding quality.

Here are a bunch of links for you to read.
Breeding
Old September 11th, 2003, 12:10 AM

Wink Thankyou

Thankyou for replying. I am doing major reading. Showing is something I am learning to do. I will investigate and learn.

Thankyou

Nadine
Old September 11th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Nadine - is there a local or state Mastiff breed club - you could talk to people who are currently showing, working and breeding their dogs and learn a lot there. If not, look on infodog:
http://www.infodog.com/default.htm
You can find upcoming dog shows - that would be a great place to start.

How old is your bitch? Before breeding her, you will need to have her hips and elbows certified clear of dysplasia. This is done at about 2 years old. She needs to be tested for SAS (heart disease) and most likley several other things that she could pass onto her progeny. Many breeds have been practically destroyed by breeding unfit specimens, so this really is important! It can be heartbreaking to have a litter of pups and have them die before they are weaned, or send them out into the world with dysplasia that gets passed onto more generations...

With 85,000 unwanted dogs available RIGHT NOW on Petfinders, there's certainly no shortage of dogs, and with millions of tax payer dollars spent annually killing pets in shelters, and billions of volunteer hours expended to try saving and homing unwanted animals, it's a pretty big responsibility when one decides to breed.
::lecture over::

So kudos for you in taking the time to investigate this whole thing! Your local obedience clubs no doubt have classes in conformation showing, if you're not doing that already.

PS: I really like Bullmastiffs. What colour is your girl?
Old September 11th, 2003, 08:04 PM

Cool Thankyou

Thankyou for your responce. Jasper is 15months old. She is Fawn in Coulor. She is just right down awesome. Do you own some?
Old September 11th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Nadine, I've never owned (or been owned by!) a mastiff; I've had Rottweilers for years. I've looked into Filas, English & Bull Mastiffs (rescues) and maybe one day when I have more time for multiple dogs, I will.

A neighbor has a dark reddish brown (don't remember the correct term for that colour) young male. I guess he comes from very nice lines and she is thinking of showing him. He's really a nice dog!
Old September 11th, 2003, 11:10 PM

Cool Hi

Hi Carina, I had a Rottweiler for awhile they are pretty interesting dogs. I am looking into getting another one. Bullmastifs have to be my number one dog though. The reddish ones are called red fawn. They are aewsome looking dogs as well.