Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

canned pumpkin

Just got an 8 wk. 2.2 lb. chi x poodle to foster who arrived with very soft poops and was eliminating 4-5 times a day, 2 teaspoons of pumpkin 4 hrs. apart has firmed her up and the bonus was she loved it so much she would have eaten 1/2 the can. She was bottled-fed from 4 weeks on as mother dog refused to nurse any longer and then was put on a very poor quality puppy chow (not to mention any names but starts with P). Am going to add a few pieces of origen dry puppy into the pup chow and see if she can handle it. Was wondering if I should keep her on a bit of the pumpkin while I change over the dry?
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I would stick with it....I used both pumpkin and some plain yogurt in Kailey's food to transition her from shelter crap onto Wellness and found it made the transition 99% problem-free. A little bit of both with each meal seems to have done the trick. Currently going through the same routine to switch her onto puppy food since she's too freakin' skinny!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
Was wondering if I should keep her on a bit of the pumpkin while I change over the dry?
I would , it will help with the food transition.

2.2 lbs that's tiny !!!
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I would too. And congrats on fostering such a sweetie. How long before she is a failed foster?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Albert's mommy

oh geez that poor tiny thing!! yes pumpkin is just fine! as long as its plain, and not the pie filling..there's nothing that would hurt it. It's good carbs, calories and nutrients, and will help the stools. You are also giving her good puppy food, so it's a win win in my book. pumpkin will be easy on her system. Post some pics if you can of the little pumpkin head!!
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

canned pumpkin

Thanks for the replies - how much yogurt for that size critter? I am trying very hard to have her remain a foster but my Teddy (only 8 yrs.) has been coughing lately and was winded so took him for a check-up and he had developed bronchitsis. Upon further tests ($$$) he has been diagnosed with Cushings and has an enlarged heart. A very sad day. So far he's on 1 capsule 1.25mg Vetmedin twice daily and 100 mg. Novotheoplyl twice a day also. Will have a better idea once his meds are done to see if there is an improvement and if he is feeling less worn down. Maybe this little dust-mop arrived for a reason.
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I'm so sorry to hear Teddy is sick :sad:

Re the amount of yogurt is a bit hard to say for such a tiny little thing. My 55-lb. guy gets two tablespoons a day and does very well with that. Maybe you should try about a teaspoon, divided between meals?
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
-

Quote:
Upon further tests ($$$) he has been diagnosed with Cushings and has an enlarged heart.
Oh no :sad: I'm so sorry :sad:
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

canned pumpkin

Had to take a trip to the washroom at 2:00 a.m. and slid across the kitchen floor on puddles of diarrhea - Teddy's rear was covered in it so have discontinued the Novotheoplyl (at Vet's advice). I don't want him having to deal with drug reactions on top of everything else. We will be looking into other meds that he might tolerate.
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
-

Quote:
Had to take a trip to the washroom at 2:00 a.m. and slid across the kitchen floor on puddles of diarrhea -
omg poor Teddy , I hope you can find a med that will help and that he will tolerate. I'm wondering if probiotics would help ?