Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I always find it amazing when you meet someone someone who you previously only saw on TV or in pictures how many of them like the same, some of them differ in unusual little ways(height, weight and so forth) - it's the little things. Princess Diana was similar in person than on TV, very beautiful I thought - and I am no fan of the monarchy but she was more like a movie start anyway, lol

The thing that most surprised me of my "Royal" encounters so to speak - was in getting to meet the Queen. We had been given extensive directions from the Prime Minister's office (Brian Mulroney at the time) and there was extensive security - I can imagine how it would be NOW!! - about how to curtsy, not to speak until she spoke to you, yada yada - much of which almost said the heck with it but well, I wanted to share the moment with friends and so I went. But the thing I noticed most about her was she had blue eye shadow on!! Don't ask me why but that little tidit seemed something I had not expected, lol But she is a woman after all, lol

I cannot say that Bush Sr scared me but he was very overwhelming. Talked a lot and was very gregarious.

As for Jimmy Carter , he was at a rather exclusive fishing lodge near to a much lesser one my family has, lol - in northern NB.Quebec - and he was very kind and waved (both he and his wife Roslyn) and you could sense the warmth.

When I worked for a newspaper as a summer student, I interviewed a number of ppl who might be considered celebs- singers and so forth, too many politicians - usually running for the leadership of a national party (which is when I 1st met John Turner) but I have met so many more MP's in doing my own lobbying for various groups (Doctors assn and so on) but also because I belong to a political party, I've met so many more of them outside the confines of Parliament and the legislature. One then Sask cabinet Min almost got us thrown out of Mama Teresa's restaurant in Ottawa, lol he'd later be Premier and head a health care study, lol) and I have attended leadership conventions so met future Prime Ministers at those - only if "my" party (such as it is) wins tho, heheh One of my own doctors and later a prof at Harvard was the son of Justice Emmett Hall and I met him at a reception this prof had -that was kinda kewl because I later met Tommy Douglas and I think they both had much to do with our current health care system and Tommy Douglas (The Greatest Canadian) sent the best Christmas cards, even tho I did not know him that well!! (I did not even know till later that his grandson (Kiefer Sutherland) who I met a couple times, would become a movie star, lol - I guess I paid more attention to serious stuff! I was elected at a very young age and it was very bizarre on occasion to be debating with politicians in Ottawa who you once liked and now disagreed with. But I never thought they were any more important than regular citizens! And most do not who act like they are - just a few who must be insecure about some thing, lol

Anyway - I don't know who I define as celebs and who I don't and the fact that I do not recognize a lot of the names here tells me that we all have different ideas on who is a celeb and who isn't. A close friend who is an MP tells me she has a hard time to do her groceries because people come up to her and ask for help. Admittedly, I on occasion had similar issues and my mother would quip, "Well, that's what you get for putting your picture on a post", lol (Some Irish joke I think, but she has a point.) If you do not want to assist people , you have no business in politics or medicine or anything like public service!.One of my best friends - my roommate from when I lived on a kibbutz in Israel is a mbr of the Knesset now and she has to have body guards (worse than worrying about grocery shopping I think!) and I am not sure I could do that - too much privacy lost I think - tho she grew up with her, her father was also in the Knesset- and they have such a different system than we do with one of the purest form of [proportional representation. (but that's another debate, lol)

I thought of another hockey player I met - someone with a weird sense of humour who knew I was a Bruins fan sat me next to Jean Belliveau at a dinner - but he was very polite and most congenial. I didn't even ask for an autograph (I hate to do that but now I kind of wish I had, lol) Now I did ask Bobby Orr for one ands he brought me (I was in the hospital in Boston) a huge signed picture of hi with all his trophies!

Anyway - nuff of this stuff...
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no CK,no picture with the Beatles,if I had one I would have saved it and posted it although I was never a big fan of them.
The paparazzies were done taking pics of them and one asked if he could take pics of me and the kids,he thought we were cute,sitting there waiting for or connection to Toronto(first time flying,no less,scared to death )
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh Chico and Cyber Kitten I am sooo jealous !!! I adore Judi Dench and the Beatles !!! If I had met those people I could die a happy woman !!

I've had some celebrity "sightings". I always think they're fun. I met the Northstars in an airport when I was in college. We said hello to Frank McCourt when we were staying at the same hotel in Boston. Saw Steven Tyler and Aerosmith in the lobby of the same hotel--same visit. Also met Malachy McCourt at a book signing. He was great fun. Saw Phil Rizzuto at a restaurant and Edie Adams at the same restaurant 10 years later. I saw the guy who plays Jackson on All My Children. We were in The Rainbow Room in NY at Christmas time and he was next to us on the dance floor. And Edward Albee was at the next table once when we were having a drink at The Marriott Marquee in NY.

I was backstage a couple times for the road tour of Annie Get Your Gun and I saw, but didn't meet, Tom Wopat and Larry Storch. Wopat had his shoes off and Storch his shirt. Too bad it wasn't the other way around.

I met Rhea Perlman and Richard Kind backstage at The Tale of The Allergists Wife. Rhea Perlman is so pretty in person and has a really great figure.

I'm actually friends with a celebrity. Marilu Henner from Taxi, and Evening Shade. That's how I managed to see those other celebrities backstage. She's such a sweetheart !! Very smart and funny and just really darling.

Oh my daughter is a dancer and this past year she met the guy who played the lead in Center Stage. I don't know his name but he played Cooper Nielsen. She said he was really really nice and down to earth.

Okay--I'm still green with envy over The Beatles and Judi Dench !!! If I could meet them--oh and Paul Reiser--I'd be one of those bumbling idiots who just trips over their tongue trying to get the words out.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Another one, in 1993, I was at a Liberal fundraiser (hard to believe but the boss dragged me there) at the Palliser Hotel in Calgary and had Jean Chretien, before he became PM, sitting down beside me to yack it up . . . . . wow, talk about bad breath!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Gawd, Jean Chretien, lol (I don't think I ever darken the doors of a Liberal dinner , a Liberal anything for that matter, lol tho when I worked for the newspaper I had to interview Liberal leadership candidates and I can actually say some of my best friends are Liberals, lol (NOT Jean Chretien tho!) I have met him on several occasions and he is quite the talker (read schmoozer) but I was never really taken with him, as they say . When my brother was in univ, M. Chretien borrowed a NB riding to get elected in and the Tories did not run a candidate (a tradition as you know which begs the question of all the issues re Elizabeth May who is a friend - not that I will vote for the Green Party you understand, lol - but I digress). So he did not know who to vote for so he had to vote for another party as a protest vote rather than vote Liberal. (I suspect many Tories just stayed home.)

Anyway - that is enough space about him, lol (I still like Jean Charest even tho he is now a Liberal, lol)
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I used to work in a daycare in Vancouver - back in 1987. This man came in and starting chatting to me and asking questions and stuff. I am like you look so familiar.. anyways we chatted for a bit then he left... and got in a jeep with a stunning blond women.. that drove her cheap across the grass at the park. As soon as they left.. the other two girls that I worked with came inside.. and were like do you know who that was.... I said he looked familiar.

Turned out to be Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn.!

When I was about 9 I saw the entire Osmond family in the first class lounge at an airport in LA.. I remember Donny was really mad cause they didnt have his luggage.

I saw Tori Spelling at Starbucks in North Vancouver back in 1996. I think thats it for me.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!