Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM

How to train your kitten to respond to its name??

Hi there,

I have two 10-week old kittens. we adopted them last Saturday, so they’ve been with us for a week.

I am wondering if anyone has tips on training your kittens to respond to its name.

And also any suggestions on tried-and-true kitten treats for training your kitten.

thanks in advance
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Mine (or more specifically, Aztec's) favourite treats (that also happen to be healthy!) are freeze-dried chicken pieces like Real Food Toppers or Halo Liv-a-Littles. I find these work great for training kitties to do just about anything. I've taught Aztec to not only come when called, but to jump on my lap for his twice daily blood glucose test and insulin shot. If you find the freeze-dried stuff too expensive, you can also make your own treats with lightly boiled chicken cut up into bite-sized pieces and frozen.

In order to teach your cats their names, just say it frequently when talking to them and whenever you give them treats or feed them or pet them. It also might help to do this when they're not together (if that ever happens) or they'll probably answer to both names. They should catch on fairly quickly if you're consistent.

Good luck, and have fun!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:54 PM

You can also try saying their name & whistling at them, may sound funny but it's worth a try, Duffy grew up w/dogs so she would come when we whistled for the dogs. She comes when she's called but really loves & runs when she hears me whistle for her.
Duffy also sits on command (most of the time or if there is something tasty in it for her ) so maybe she thinks she's part dog part cat.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom
It also might help to do this when they're not together (if that ever happens) or they'll probably answer to both names. They should catch on fairly quickly if you're consistent.
I agree. You're going to have to try and get some one-on-one time with each of them as often as you can.
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Hate to say it, but most cats will respond to any name if they hear you calling, lol.

I've had a couple of cats that would respond only to their name, but they were single cats with no other cats present, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Most cats respond to whatever gets them attention. If they don't care about you calling at the moment they won't come no matter what name you use. If they think they're going to get petted when they come to that tone of voice they'll respond to anything. You can use a word they've never heard before and they'll probably come running.

If they don't think they'll get attention just because you call they won't come. If they realize you're only going to give them attention or food when you use that particular name they'll probably come only to that name.
So basically, if you only give the kitten attention or food when coming to that name they'll know only to respond to that name, otherwise there's no point in them wasting their time. I have a feeling you'll have trouble only giving one cat attention or treats when you use their particular name though. Most of us would