Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 31st, 2014, 10:08 AM

Cat hasn't pooped in two days...?

I've seen a few other threads like this on Google but none of them were quite what I'm looking for--
Here's my situation:

Two days ago, kitty was sick. Vomit from 7 in the am to 9 pm. Initially I had figured she was just doing the usual thing -- she tends to vomit now and then, every few weeks I guess - but usually just once or twice and it goes away.

Two days ago was an all day affair and I could tell the night before when I got home (went to visit family - roomies looked after her in the meantime) that something was off. Her demeanour was downcast and her fur was disorganized and dull.

Anyway, I had determined to take her to the vet if it continued.

It didn't. She hadn't eaten at all the day she spent vomiting, nor drank much I suspect. I think she peed in the morning but I'm not 100% sure (... A downfall to crystal litter I guess). She peed the morning after as well (... Again, I think??) and was ravenous all day. I mean, I was cautious about feeding her anyway. But none of what I gave her seemed to be enough, by her standard :T
But her fur is back to being shiny, and her energy has made a full comeback. Se even wanted to play.

Anyway morning of the third day, I think she went pee again but still no poop. I can understand the first day cause of not really eating anything but now, gettin on the third day, I'm starting to worry a bit...

I read something about pumpkin?? Is that a good place to start?

Oh,
By the way, she's about 10 now. I've been in the process the past couple months (after she got an uti) of switching her to canned food. She loves it. But I still had been using a bit of kibble along with it (which I have now stopped since...)...

Sorry for the ramble. Kitty's been worrying me awake >< there's lots I'm not sure about I guess.
She seems ravenous this morning as well, keeps playing with her bowl, but I'm anxious about feeding her overmuch if she's not pooping it out ... (It's also earlier than I usually feed her - go back to sleep, cat! Ahah...)

Thanks for your help.
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:16 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Windmillkey and welcome to the forum!

Is it possible the cat poofed somewhere else in the house and you haven't noticed it yet?

I think canned pumpkin is good idea but I think a call to your vet is a better idea... If the cat's behavior (aside from the not pooping) is 100% normal at this point then I might wait 0ne more day if money is tight...but if the cat still doesn't poop I'd bring the cat in.

If the cat's behaviour is not normal (grooming less, sleeping more, or anything else that you the cat owner have noticed that is not normal for this cat) then imo, the cat needs to see a vet immediately.

Hope that may help and good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 31st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

You soon bring your cat to the vet right away , tomorrow is a holiday and the vet may not be open . You should not try to doctor your cat when so many things are going on with it. He could had gotten into something toxic .
Old December 31st, 2014, 11:21 PM

Thank you for the welcome! /salutes

I did call the vet (and the guys I spoke to are indeed open tomorrow, should there be a need). We came to the conclusion that if she didn't poop by tomorrow at the very latest I was gonna bring her in.

She's looked super healthy pretty much all of today/yesterday. Fur is shiny, eyes are bright, she's been demanding to snuggle (usually when sick she keeps her distance) and play (tore up some paper towel my roomie gave her, did a fine job of scattering it all over my room ahaha...)

The poop was the only thing now. Which she did! Hoorayyy.

I did give her some pumpkin to try out, I dunno if it was that or just time, as she only went to the litter box some hours later.

But in any case I now join the horde of pet owners too happy to see their pet poop lol

Thanks for the replies ^^;; I'm relieved it worked out one way or another.
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Do NOT, do NOT, do NOT give her anything remotely laxative till you know why she is not pooping. If she has a blockage, say a hairball is stuck, she will be in agony.

Vomitting can be a sign there is a blockage, stuff has to get out one way or another.

Plus pumpkin can act to firm up poop, it depends how much you feed. The amount varies from pet to pet. Don't give pumpkin or anything like it till you know the reasons for constipation or diarrhoea.

ETA: Ok, I see you did give pumpkin and she did poop. You were lucky it worked out ok but it's still not a good idea for the future. Glad she is ok.
Old January 1st, 2015, 12:08 PM

Noted for the future! Thank you, it's appreciated.
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:10 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Glad to hear it worked out!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter