Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old December 26th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Question Hello!

Hi, I'm new here & just wanted to say hello.
I have a 4 yr old female cock-a-poo named Bella & we want to get her a companion but she doesnt like other dogs. She tends to bark at them, shake nervously & then run at them. We recently came in contact with a 4 month old puppy in persmart & for the first time she didnt get nervous. So now we decided we should adopt a puppy. wheres the best place to adopt from & are there many puppies that get put up for adoption?
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Hello and welcome to the board. Just keep in mind that just because she wasnt nervous about one puppy doesnt mean she will be like that with all of them.

As for lots of puppies for adoption i wouldnt know about that. i would check your local spca or look for a rescue on-line. There are wonderful people on here that are with rescues that might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:08 PM

Thanks for advice, iv looked on petfinder but haven't really seen puppies. She is such a lovable dog, not aggressive at all, I can take food out of her mouth & she wouldnt object. she's great with kids & all people but its the bigger dogs she's afraid of. I'v taken her to classes & she learned to turn away when she sees another dog rather than barking at them & running towards them. I hope we can get over this b'cas we would love her to have a campanion. My last 2 were the best of friends & passed away at age 16yrs within 4 mths of each other. so i want Bella to have the same experience.
Old December 26th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

What is she like with older dogs her size or smaller.if she is fine with them then another dog her age would also make a great companion for her.

And we can be picture around here i mean happy to see lots pictures of pets so if you have any to share that would be great.
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome lg107!

If your local shelter is anything like ours, there will be plenty of puppies there.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

One nice thing about adopting from a shelter or a rescue is that you have the opportunity to allow the two to meet ahead of time to see if the newbie gets Bella's seal of approval. Hope you find a compatible match for her soon.

And yes, we definitely need pics!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM

I suppose to be honest she barks at other dogs no matter the size except she has been in closr contact with 2 little puppies that she actually tried to play with. It's a shame she's like this cas we would love to adopt another dog. When she barks if they come to close to her she runs at them & tries to attack. We were told by 2 different dog trainers that its mainly out of fear & maybe protection of us also. But when she does it, he back legs shake like she nervous. Its a shame cas she's really playful & she is such a good girl really, we love her to bits.
we looked in local shelters but no puppies in any of them but that was a couple of months ago so we should take another look. Burlington dont seem to have any dogs in the one on Griffith rd only cats. we will just keep looking though.
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will work on getting a photo on.
Old December 27th, 2012, 09:25 PM

Wink

The Beautiful Bella!
Attached Images

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Oh see is a cutie pie.
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:10 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a sweetie!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

awwwww, puppy-dog eyes! Bella is very sweet.