Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old March 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

small soft lump under cat's tail

I found a small, soft, lump under Milo's tail, right between his anus and the base of the tail at about the 1:00 o'clock position. It does not seem to be bothering him at all...no licking, etc and to the touch it almost feels fluid filled.
Do cats have anal glands that need to be expressed? I have never encountered that with any kitties before.
I am going to try to get him in to see my vet on Monday...but it just has me bothered for the time being.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sounds like an anal gland to me QMC. They can be bothersome. I think it was onster's Onnie who had issues last year. May have been Bunduk. How have Milo's poops been lately? Soft and smushy or firm? I believe if the poop is not firm enough that is sometimes when anal glands don't get expressed. Or maybe one of his is blocked. Better to have it checked for your piece of mind.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:55 PM

Yes, cats have anal glands; however, I would still go to the vet to see what is causing the one to behave improperly.
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:58 PM
chronically insane.

Technically, you can express them yourself Wouldn't recommend that though, I refuse to do it but it had to be done to dogs and sometimes cats at the shelter every so often... it's just a tad bit horrifyingly disgusting

Vets often do offer the service separate from an office visit for a reduced cost, if it becomes an ongoing thing.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Sounds like an anal gland to me QMC. They can be bothersome. I think it was onster's Onnie who had issues last year. May have been Bunduk. How have Milo's poops been lately? Soft and smushy or firm? I believe if the poop is not firm enough that is sometimes when anal glands don't get expressed. Or maybe one of his is blocked. Better to have it checked for your piece of mind.
Milo has always had fairly firm poops...the location bothers me though because the diagram of the anal gland location is much lower and this lump is almost completely anterior of the anus.
I will be bringing him on Monday...that can be my 60 minute workout...trying to catch him to crate him...Mr Oh No You Dont!!!
Thanks 14+.
I remember Onnie had alot problems.

Old March 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
Milo has always had fairly firm poops...the location bothers me though because the diagram of the anal gland location is much lower and this lump is almost completely anterior of the anus.
I will be bringing him on Monday...that can be my 60 minute workout...trying to catch him to crate him...Mr Oh No You Dont!!!
Thanks 14+.
I remember Onnie had alot problems.
I hear you. Dart goes for his big snip tomorrow. He will be spending the night in a crate so I don't have to chase him for an hour tomorrow at 6 AM. Not the way I want to start the day. I can also make sure he doesn't get into the food overnight this way.
It could be just a sebaceous cyst too. They are pretty common with cats. Orbit has one on the base of his tail. Doesn't bother him until Mommy decides to poke it.
Good luck. I have no doubt Milo will be at the vets asap on Monday.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:16 PM

Finally found what I was looking for.
In cats they are located at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock.
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
Finally found what I was looking for.
In cats they are located at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock.
I already sent QMC a link with a diagram.....she doesn't think it is an anal gland based on the diagram.
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:30 PM
-

Sorry to hear about Milo ....I hope it is nothing serious.

Could one of the other cats scratched him and it's an abscess?
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:36 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Sorry to hear about Milo ....I hope it is nothing serious.

Could one of the other cats scratched him and it's an abscess?
Could be. I've seen anal tumor on older male animals before, they aren't serious just annoying. How old is Milo & at what age was Milo neutered? Sometimes they are like testosterone based or something. I can't quite remember what I am thinking of.. I saw a few cases of it at the shelter and you just snip em off easily.. I just can't put my finger on what the vet said they were or what cause them. It could be that though.. if anyone knows what I am talking about feel free to chime in

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 19th, 2011, 06:41 PM

I was too busy looking for one and missed that line.
Good luck at the vet with Milo, QMC!
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
Could be. I've seen anal tumor on older male animals before, they aren't serious just annoying. How old is Milo & at what age was Milo neutered? Sometimes they are like testosterone based or something. I can't quite remember what I am thinking of.. I saw a few cases of it at the shelter and you just snip em off easily.. I just can't put my finger on what the vet said they were or what cause them. It could be that though.. if anyone knows what I am talking about feel free to chime in
I think there is almost no chance of another cat scratching him in that area..but anything is possible.
Milo is 11 years old now, and was neutered very young by laser technique(?) I think about 14 weeks...I would have to go through his file for the exact date...by his breeder before I took him home. After she got to know me...she allowed me to do the altering by my own vet at a later age for the next 2 males I got from her.
My vet knows me very well and if I call her and say I need an appointment the same day...I get it...no problem.
I was just hoping for some input...He would be seen by a vet regardless, but as anyone here knows...you worry regardless until the appointment and tests clear him from out babies from anything serious.

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I hear you. Dart goes for his big snip tomorrow. He will be spending the night in a crate so I don't have to chase him for an hour tomorrow at 6 AM. Not the way I want to start the day. I can also make sure he doesn't get into the food overnight this way.
It could be just a sebaceous cyst too. They are pretty common with cats. Orbit has one on the base of his tail. Doesn't bother him until Mommy decides to poke it.
Good luck. I have no doubt Milo will be at the vets asap on Monday.
Good luck with Dart!!!

The same thing as Orbit with Milo...since I discovered it...I keep checking...he had no probelms until I found it..now ... go away Mom!

The other guys, with the exception of the semi feral, Chloe, can be caught without too much trouble..but Milo is not the pick me up type cat!

You know me so well....I have a "golden key" with my vet...same as you!

Hoping it is something as easy to treat a sebaceous gland cyst. It will still need to be drained and tested anyway...for my satisfaction if nothing else.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Good luck with Dart!!!

Thank you. I'm petrified. But I'm not threadjacking your thread any more.

The same thing as Orbit with Milo...since I discovered it...I keep checking...he had no probelms until I found it..now ... go away Mom!

I love it!! They let you know to tick off, don't they?

The other guys, with the exception of the semi feral, Chloe, can be caught without too much trouble..but Milo is not the pick me up type cat!

Have you ever tried the trick of leaving the carriers out for them to use as beds? Then when you need to put one in they aren't as loath to go in.

You know me so well....I have a "golden key" with my vet...same as you!

With this many we need a golden key! Now if I could get her to drop her prices a bit.............

Hoping it is something as easy to treat a sebaceous gland cyst. It will still need to be drained and tested anyway...for my satisfaction if nothing else.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!
I'll keep my and send up a prayer or two for you and Milo.

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'll keep my and send up a prayer or two for you and Milo.
dont you get a discount from your vet for multi pets? I get 25% for services...not meds..but services.
I'm surprised your vet doesn't!!!

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:33 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
dont you get a discount from your vet for multi pets? I get 25% for services...not meds..but services.
I'm surprised your vet doesn't!!!
Not 25%. The good one will give me breaks on meds and sometimes the visit is free or next to free. Her partner - never. She charges me full price.

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Not 25%. The good one will give me breaks on meds and sometimes the visit is free or next to free. Her partner - never. She charges me full price.
I get the discount regardless because it is in the computer...I know that when I deal with MY vet, alot of things are no charge but associates charge for everything.
When I had Chloe brought in ... she discounted everything down to "rescue" rates, including snap testing for viruses and her spay was only $50.00, and she really doesnt do resuce work anymore. She is great. It is one of the reasons I havent left this area yet for my hometown north, especially when Quincy's health is so questionable.

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:42 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I get the discount regardless because it is in the computer...I know that when I deal with MY vet, alot of things are no charge but associates charge for everything.
When I had Chloe brought in ... she discounted everything down to "rescue" rates, including snap testing for viruses and her spay was only $50.00, and she really doesnt do resuce work anymore. She is great. It is one of the reasons I havent left this area yet for my hometown north, especially when Quincy's health is so questionable.
Maybe I should move to your area. Know any hobby farms for sale? Preferably one with a sanctuary already built so I can move the kitties into it immediately.

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Maybe I should move to your area. Know any hobby farms for sale? Preferably one with a sanctuary already built so I can move the kitties into it immediately.
Maybe not here...but I hear of one possibly available!!!

Old March 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Maybe not here...but I hear of one possibly available!!!
LOL It's ok. I'm quite happy where I am. I'm finally getting the Catuary somewhere near to where I want it. It's all good.
This is sooooooo !!
Gotta boogie!! Still sending lots of prayers out to Milo!!

Old March 19th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
LOL It's ok. I'm quite happy where I am. I'm finally getting the Catuary somewhere near to where I want it. It's all good.
This is sooooooo !!
Gotta boogie!! Still sending lots of prayers out to Milo!!
Thank you...!!!

Old March 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I found a small, soft, lump under Milo's tail, right between his anus and the base of the tail at about the 1:00 o'clock position. It does not seem to be bothering him at all...no licking, etc and to the touch it almost feels fluid filled.
Do cats have anal glands that need to be expressed? I have never encountered that with any kitties before.
I am going to try to get him in to see my vet on Monday...but it just has me bothered for the time being.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Yes, it does sound like his anal glands. Jasper doesn't have any signs when his get infected, so I have to have them checked about every 9 months or so.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Yes, it does sound like his anal glands. Jasper doesn't have any signs when his get infected, so I have to have them checked about every 9 months or so.
The only prob I have with this theory is that Chris sent me a diagram about anal glands and this lump is definately NOT where the glands are located.
I am choosing (Hahaha) not to be worried about it until my vet examines him.
That is SO much easier said than done!!

Old March 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
-

Good luck at the vet tomorrow .....hope it is nothing serious.
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay Guys....you were right....and I was.....uhmmmm.....NOT as right!!!

Milo had an impacted anal gland....BUT in my defense, the vet did say it was in a rather high position.

As soon as he got on the table...it started to express...likely because the poor guy was so terrified. She cleaned him out, sent him home and the icing on the cake....no charge. I think she was too busy laughing at my inexperience with these things because I have had cats for almost 50 years and never ran across the situation before.

Anyway....all is well...except Milo who is so angry he wont come out from under the bed.

Thanks for all the support.

Old March 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM
-

WHEW .....glad to hear it was just his anal gland.

And, what a bonus to not get charged ......great vet you got there.

Milo may be a tad ticked off but I bet he sure feels better.
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad it just turned out to be an impacted anal gland, qmc! (whew!) I hate unidentified lumps and bumps...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:18 PM

QMC, what could your vet charge you, 2 minutes rent on the table?
Milo's not angry, just embarrassed about the nasty stink he made in public.
Glad it turned out so well!
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
QMC, what could your vet charge you, 2 minutes rent on the table?
Milo's not angry, just embarrassed about the nasty stink he made in public.
Glad it turned out so well!
Unfortunately, I think most members on this board understand that just making an appointment with a vet and walking into the door constitutes a "visit" which depending on the area you live can be $50 to $75.....even if the vet only gives a cursory check to your pet.

I appreciate my vet and all the services she does for me. She knows that I am a senior on a fixed income and that my pets are my family and treats me as such...She is a dear lady who I have used since she finished vet school and she has seen many of my pets from "cradle to grave".

She also knows I am a worry wort and would rather I brought a pet in to be checked than let a situation become more severe.

In this case...I worried...she reassured and I feel a great deal better for it, plus it is now in his record that this has occured and will be easier to deal with if it happens again.

Surprisingly...there was very little stink...I thought there would be more...but the discharge was like tar!

Milo is now out from under the bed and even back on my lap..so I guess all is forgiven!

Old March 21st, 2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think most members on this board understand that just making an appointment with a vet and walking into the door constitutes a "visit" which depending on the area you live can be $50 to $75.....even if the vet only gives a cursory check to your pet.

I know. I've had appointments like that.