Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:54 PM

So neat! I bet one might get a bit of a fright if they're not used to them though! Hahah.
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Jarrah really is a good girl! I really enjoyed this tread!
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, H.P., glad you liked it. Here the girl is with her late Xmas present, a place to cool her feet.
Attached Images

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Looks like a good place to cool her nose off too. I bet she spends quite some time in the pool cooling off. patti
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Not really, Patti, whereas Perkins would have been lying in it. She doesn't feel the heat like he used to though. It does give her a choice and stops her from putting her front feet up on the bird bath to drink out of it. And there is a bucket of water available, she just likes her feet wet while she drinks. I don't put much water in the little pool, so I can empty it daily.
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

What a good girl, as I've said earlier. This evening was the second time Jarrah has picked up my camera and carried it around, in its soft case, when I haven't been there to stop her. No damage to the camera at all.
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

such cute pics GF - thx for sharing them.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad that people like her, Marko, I really find it amazing that we lucked onto such a good one just because her owner though she was too big. The only problem we have with her, and the same went for our last boy actually, is that they get fanatically devoted to me, to the point where Jarrah doesn't want to be caught by Ian, or have him holding her lead. He calls her, she comes straight to me. (sigh) We have to work on that for when I'm in hospital having my knee done, I'd hate to come home and find she's gone totally feral. (Joking.)
I caught her air scenting near the back gate today and realised she could smell the ripe strawberries in a hanging basket above her, and sure enough, she loves them. So, between hubby and her, I probably won't get a taste.
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Good girl Jarrah for having a soft mouth on mom's camera! Fresh Strawberries yummy. Maybe if Ian gives her the stawberries that she is smelling she will go to him more? Bribery works..lol
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's a great idea about the strawberries, Patti!

So when is your knee surgery planned for, GF?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree, a great idea, only Ian would not really want to share those strawberries. He has been told to bribe her already but he's slow getting around to it. Perkins was a devil, he disliked anyone else holding his lead at shows and would wait till their mind was on something else, then take a mighty leap to get back to me.
Don't know about my knee surgery but I've told the surgeon I can't have it done during the hot months. One day, out of the blue, when I'm least expecting it or prepared for it, I'll get a phone call saying the op. will be such and such a day.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

What to do? I was offered the stud dog I made enquiries about some time ago. Funnily enough I had been thinking that Jarrah really needs a cattle dog as company because her idea of playing with the shelties is to prance and nearly flatten them with a front foot, or bowl them when she gets the zoomies. This dog sounds great, a better personal guard dog than her(she loves everyone), good with children, cats and other dogs, also horses /sheep etc., 6 years old, a red like her. His DNA test for PRCD showed he is a B, a carrier, so unless she is an A(genetically clear) I certainly wouldn't mate them, she would be speyed and they could live happily ever after together. Still discussing the pros and cons, I don't really want him unless I pay for him, she may prefer a lease of sorts. As I'm against dogs being shunted from home to home I'd like to own him outright so I know this will be his last home. We'll see, and in the meantime I am not getting Jarrah's hopes up.

N.B. The ACD breeders are trying to not throw the baby out with the bathwater where PRCD is concerned. It is is the easiest problem the breed has to eradicate now we have this DNA test as even C's can be used by mating to As if they are of otherwise excellent quality. I still find it hard(maybe impossible) to risk a mating where you could get Cs though, resulting in a blind dog later on.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

GF.I really enjoyed reading all the posts,Jarrah is a beautiful girl
Old January 23rd, 2012, 12:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Chico2. I've missed you posting, I enjoy your photo's. As for Jarrah, I've been doing a lot of soul searching and she is another reason I won't take this dog unless I can buy it. I wouldn't want her becoming friends with it only to have to send it back to the owner later and upset her.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM

I just wanted to say your jarrah sounds like a lovely girl. The photos of your animals are gorgeous.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

When do you have to make the decision on Jarrah's new bud, GF?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 24th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I have put off a decision saying I am too busy cleaning up Fairy Grass to look after another dog at the moment, so if she could hang onto him for maybe another month ......? Ironically, while that is the honest truth, seeing that the only cool times for bagging that rotten stuff up coincides with getting our dogs exercised, darn it if we haven't fluked two days of very light wind and this is the first time in 6 weeks we haven't been buried in it. Miracles happen. Today could be the same, I've been stuck inside doing a mountain of washing, answering phone calls etc.,so don't know how windy it's been.
As soon as the weather cools down I'll get that DNA swab done on Jarrah - fingers crossed for her please. Sometimes this breed doesn't live long enough to go blind if they do have PRCD, but occassionally one might be blind at say 3 years of age. We want an A or B result.
Old February 14th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

.....and the result is .....She's a B. Yay!! Would have been great if she was an A but at least she will not go blind due to PRCD, and I only need to breed her to a clear dog. May have to do AI to an interstate dog perhaps, but it's all hypothetical , she needs to have good hips, elbows and hearing and those tests won't be done till the weather cools down. So far, for her sake, I am happy, and relieved.
Old February 14th, 2012, 09:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Good news about the PRCD, GF! That must be a relief!

Old February 15th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Senior Contributor

It's wonderful, Hazel, because I've heard on American ACD forums from time to time of dogs that have sadly gone blind and just can't cope with it. Jarrah mightn't have either, she's so 'busy' and alert. Doing a happy dance for her therefore, in between phoning ACD friends with the news. LOL.
Old February 15th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

That's such good news, GF!! I'm very happy for you, and of course, Jarrah!! Hopefully all the other tests will come back fine. She's such a beautiful girl

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 15th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Robyn. Funnily enough, I still seriously think of desexing her rather than mating her. Just looking for a stud dog has taken me back into the show scene and if anything it seems worse than when we retired from it. Oh, her breeder assures me she was B.A.E.R. tested with bilateral hearing as a baby puppy, but unless he can come up with paperwork for it I would still have to do that. Unnecessary stress for her if she needs sedation again.
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, Jarrah and I went for a short walk down the road this evening, close to dusk. Accross the dry creek/channel I spotted two kangaroos, a mother and young one that took off when they saw us. The wind meant Jarrah didn't catch their scent and I thought 'Pity, I'd like to know how she reacts'. We continued and just reached the channel, when up out of it, right where it goes under the road, so maybe 12 feet in front of us, hopped two big male kangaroos. SORRY, I could not get the camera out of the bag fast enough, but I got my reaction from Jarrah anyway, and this was all it was. She simply stood and watched them. I cannot believe what a sweetheart she is, completely laid back for this breed. She'd been doing a bit of nose licking in the second photo with the sheep.
Attached Images

Old February 16th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Oh my goodness, she is just the cutest. I love her sweet face.

Congrats on the good outcome of the tests! And, wow, I can't believe she didn't react to kangaroos!
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Whether or not you decide to breed her, I'm just happy she seems to be free of the health issues. She's such a beautiful girl. If Nookie had seen the kangas, he'd be off in a flash lol. That boy never goes off leash. I LOVE the pictures of her... and Serena is right, she has such a sweet face

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, girls. Jarrah would like your faces too, if she could only lick them. LOL. I'll probably get her hips done even if I decide to spay her. That way, if she has HD I can get her onto glucosamine etc. early and try and make her life a bit more bearable. I'm sure all my other ACDs would have been after the kangas too, Robyn, and if they smelt a koala they'd almost drag me up a tree. This Jarrah though, she was just made for us oldies, calm and sensible.
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

She looks very happy in the pic with the sheep. She must think they're cute, too! "I kissed a sheep! hehehe"

Old February 18th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Don't know how calm and sensible she'd be in with them of course, Hazel. I reckon she might just latch onto the nose of any ewe that tried to butt her or bluff her. I don't do it because the ewes are still feeding their lambs regardless that said lambs are almost as big as them, so they deserve peace and quiet.
Aah, I don't have to feed the sheep tonight, how good is that!? They kick up so much dust, my hair gets filthy. No, I fed them earlier, had to lock them up so some big hay bales could be unloaded.
Old April 6th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

An update. The first time I let Jarrah out here at night, I did so without checkling if the cats were about. That was simply because we never see them out the side where I took her. She pounced on something under the mulberry tree, Sibi, who got chased over the fence! Well, she spotted Sibi this morning, outside the gate, and started stalking towards him in slow motion. I told her a few things quietly, like 'Don't touch Sibi, Sibi is our cat" etc. then without raising my voice told her to "Come!" Instant recall, what a doll. Being a cattle dog she still tried to chew her way into a bag of dog food last night though. She ain't perfect. The halo slips occassionally.

Here she is with her latest toy. This ball has a nice loud high pitched squeaker and after buying it I thought maybe I wouldn't like the constant noise, thinking I'd call in and give it to Archie instead(and drive my friend crazy), but then I recalled that Archie deflated his soccer ball with one bite so this one wouldn't survive long. Anyway, Jarrah's good with it, she isn't the power biter that Perkins was, instead just carries it without chomping on it.

I have to babysit Archie again, next weekend, so that'll be nice, although I find myself getting VERY attached to him.
Attached Images

Old April 7th, 2012, 09:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Even an angel needs to cut loose now and then, GF!

Glad Sibi survived the encounter none the worse for wear! Think she was just playing? Seems like if she'd had nefarious intent in mind, Sibi would have been in deep trouble! Jarrah's such a good girl!