Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 9th, 2011, 06:53 PM

Large, Hard, Moveable bump

My dog, a black lab/husky mix who is about 6 years old suddenly has a very large, near golf ball sized bump on rear right leg. It is on the hind leg near the lower joint (almost on it).

It is very hard, but very easy to move. She does not react to it at all. It is under the skin so the skin appears stretched.

I have recently been left my girlfriend, then my other dog who was much older passed away that same day. I love my girl very, very much and right now I am quite upset. I am taking her to the vet ASAP, which is 2 days away.

Does anyone have any idea or experience as to what this could be? I keep reading conflicting posts on many sites but no one with the exact same problem. Its always a soft one, or if its hard its not moveable. Again, hers is a hard, large, moveable bump that seemed to appear out of nowhere.

Thanks for any help.
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Lumps are tough, because it's hard to tell what they. I hope that this is one of those silly lumps that is nothing, and hopefully your vet will have a good idea. Your vet may want to get a sample and send it off to the lab. My girl's hard moveable lump was a mast cell tumor. My boy's was a benign cyst.

sure hope it's nothing, and hope that things get better for you - I know what it's like when everything goes south all at once
Old December 12th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Hey,
I am not a vet or anything like that, but it could possibliy be a skin tag or a lipoma. A lipoma is most common in middle-age dog. Lipoma are usually under the skin, but they can be locally invasive, meaning they are meshed with muscle or connerctive tissue.
You might want to check with your vet just to be safe.

I hope it is nothing to serious!