Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 28th, 2004, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Breeders?

Well it's Christmas time and my hubby's brother thought we needed a dog.

As if 2 dogs and 8 cats was not enough.........my bil thought that because Ursa (12 years old) was not going to be with us forever (his reasoning) he thought that my hubby needed a new german shepherd his marriage broke up and he is moving in with us so his dog comes as well......yup that makes 4 dogs in my house ......this is crazy but I apparently have no choice in the matter.

My Question.........how can I find out about this woman that breeds these dogs without stepping on everyones toes
My bil says she used to breed dogs for the police just not sure how true it is

Her name is Casey....(the dog) and I will need some help in the near future as I think she also like Ursa is a dominate dog or she just doesn't know how to conduct herself yet I'm thinking she is about 6 months old and has apparently been kept in a cage out side all this time (not very nice ) so far my cats are safe but she likes to bite the dogs
Old December 28th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette,your household seems to be the kind animal-lovers dream of and wish they could have
I am sure you'll run into some problems,but there are plenty of doggie-owners here to help out..
I LOVE GSD's and poor Casey has probably suffered hell in a cage,I just don't understand what some people are made of
How's Buddy reacting,as far as I remember he was pretty wild???
and then of course there is little(big!!)Chico,I hope he's still ok
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Iggette,

We are fostering a gsd that was kept in a crate from the time he was 8 weeks old untill we got him about 7 weeks ago he is 2 yrs old and full of beans! We have 2 dogs of our own and 2 cats so we know all about having a full house but we wouldn't change it for anything.

I bet your house is lots of fun for your furbabies!

Good luck with Casey and bless you for taking her out of that situation
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggette
she is about 6 months old and has apparently been kept in a cage out side all this time (not very nice )
Casey seems to have followed the "yellow brick road" to puppy heaven.
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette you are such a wonderful person for keeping this little baby, Look at it this way there is someone else for you to spoil. LOL He is in doggie heaven at your house you are a wonderful mommy and he is one lucky pup. You will do fine! We are all here for you!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggy, I'd say your #1 problem right now is getting rid of your irresponsible brother-in-law. Are there any shelters that'll take him? Then you can concentrate on helping this poor innocent fur-baby!
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes and I forgot to mention....remember my preggy daughter with Deisel her new pup? well,.....she also is trying to expand the family.......she visited Barlees Angels rescue on Christmas eve day and is wanting to adopt a playmate for Deisel a pit bull mix puppy, apparently Deisel had a ball playing there and they are in love with her (the puppy) I will be surprised if the rescue approves considering her situation but we will see.

This new addition of Casey is going to prove interesting now that I have a full time job......I told hubby to get a new steam cleaner as he is now officially on clean up duty......lol 'cause Buddy is fully trained and I won't be home to do it.

Chico is hibernating only came out once in the last 3 weeks to eat.....assuming the mice didn't open the container....lol.....in the spring I will have to go on the big walk and hope he likes his new surroundings and decides to stay *knocks on wood*
I had to clean her ear this morning slight case of mites she did pretty good in letting me touch her all over but *phew* she stinks.....think while I have the time off I will see how she likes the tub

How do I find out what type of shepherd she is? she is darker than usual and more hairy I will get a pic as soon as I find my batteries in this huge mess guests are still here from boxing day seems hubby hasn't stopped celebrating the new dog yet.....lol
Old December 28th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

lol @ glasslass ...... you mean I can give him away......what a thought....lmao
Old December 28th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking more like "dump him"!
Old December 28th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Iggy, I'd say your #1 problem right now is getting rid of your irresponsible brother-in-law. Are there any shelters that'll take him? Then you can concentrate on helping this poor innocent fur-baby.
That's the best advice I can think of.

You are one incredibly patient person!
Old December 28th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is Casey
Attached Images

Old December 28th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Casey is stunning!! She is so lucky to have found you
Old December 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
My Question.........how can I find out about this woman that breeds these dogs without stepping on everyones toes
My bil says she used to breed dogs for the police just not sure how true it is
Finding out if this woman bred dogs for the Police department should be a simple matter of going to ask the PD, as long as you know her name. The dog in your photo looks like he's of German blood. German bloodlines are far darker than North American dogs. The story sounds, at least a little bit, credible. Police prefer to use German dogs to American dogs because the temperment is much more even. If she's a breeder of CKC registered dogs, the pup should have a tattoo in its ear. You could also contact the CKC with that information and ask them if they know the breeders name so you could contact them. They don't have to know you just want to confirm her identity.

Good luck.

(he sure is a cute pup!) Watch your cats around him. He'll try to herd them, and could end up making the cats hurt him in the end.

EDIT:
Just re-read your OP, and noticed Casey is a she. DEFINATELY German blood. Female dogs are almost always lighter than the males. If this pup is this dark, she's German.
Old December 28th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Casey is a beautiful dog but I have to toss my lot in with the other two comments - the bil needs to go - or grow up!!
Old December 28th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Boy oh Boy, ya I hear you about the bil, that story is just waaaay to long, but I will be alpha over him.....lol there will be no question about that, he needs to be taught a thing or two as well as this dog.....speaking of which.....

Casey.......well she is not fixed and I have to find out about the shots but bil has gone awol when do females go into heat? and what can I expect?
The 2 other females Ursa and CJ are both fixed so unwanteds here!! thank god!

Also when I sit beside her and give her affection, belly rubs and massage all over to get her used to me ( she seems starved for it) if another animal cat or dog comes near she turns vicious and attacks them

She bit me on the back trying to get to CJ who thought she would come over for some of the lovin' I was bent over so no harm done but the intension was there not for me but I was in the way.

I have heard stories now, when I asked about the nic on her nose that she got in a scrap with both CJ and Ursa when she first arrived.

Is it fair to crate one dog out of 4? Will she be more agressive when she gets out , out of jealousy? Hubby slept on the couch last night (no I didn't make him....lol) so I ties her on her leash to the couch leg so she stayed in one spot.

Unfortunatly no tatoo in her ear, I have until January 2nd to perform miracles in her behavoir then its up to hubby 'cause I'm back to work
Old December 28th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Iggie,she is beauttiful.

Do you know the name of the kennel she came from?Is she from Ont?Not sure if you know,but my Tron is a retired Police Dog.I had him untill he was 18 months.Did all the basic training,then he went with my brother to continue his training.So I know of quite a few that breed for the force.Well they don't just breed these dogs for the Police Force.If that made sense.The Police Force do not take on puppies.

Also,Tron is from German Blood,So was Yukon.They are both of the lighter colouring.Not all German lines are of the darker colour.Both their Sire and Dam are of the light colour.

Also,the tattoo may not be in the ear,it could be on the inside of the back leg.
Attached Images

Old December 28th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful dogs Mona....all I know I will Pm you with
Old December 28th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

This is Caseys first normal day here......everyone has finally left and she is a handful......

My first concern.....I understand dogs need a pecking order and Ursa Buddy and CJ all have and know thier place but Casey is just downright nasty at times she attacked Buddy.....poor guy didn't expect such a onslaught of viciousness......is this the breed? Ursa is very dominate but she rarely if ever attacks........could it be a sign of aggressivness? The cats have steered clear so far just a few braves came out later in the day
Old December 28th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

is this the breed?
No.

Any breed who has been caged up and not properly socialized,especially with other dogs will act this way.I have grown up with this breed,I have owned 3 of my own.My first,Cujo was with me till he was 13,Yukon was 8 and Tron is also 8.I have never see aggression in any of them.Well I have in Tron,but that's different because of the work he did.They were all socialized from day one.They were always around other dogs.I also have other relatives who own this breed.No aggression with them either.

Have you introduced Casey to the others gradually?

Is she spayed?

I would keep a very close eye on her with the others.She could get even nastier.And you don't want that.

Thank you for the comment...
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Mona....... Sadly casey was not introduced properly at all We had the annual adult Boxing day party at our home this year and when the bil arrived he had his dog and casey.....and over 30 guests ....our 2 already knew CJ she has been here for all family get togethers.
Casey has spent some time with the bil and casey does not like CJ (his dog) for whatever reason....perhaps she thinks bil is her master and keeps him to herself. But now I am sure she is confused because bil left on the 27th to return later today.
Definitly not the ideal introduction at all but I had no control over that.......sometimes people just don't think
Old December 28th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Casey... :sad:

Well the slow introduction could not have been helped in this case.I'm sure she was freaked out with all the people and dogs.

All I can suggest is taking time with her.Like I have mentioned,she may not have been socialized with other dogs before.This will take time.She is still young.

Maybe she feels safe with the BIL.

Time and patience is they key....
Old December 28th, 2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Also,Tron is from German Blood,So was Yukon.They are both of the lighter colouring.Not all German lines are of the darker colour.Both their Sire and Dam are of the light colour.

Also,the tattoo may not be in the ear,it could be on the inside of the back leg.
I stand corrected. I was passing along information I had found on the Internet. Either way, a beautiful dog. Sad about the tattoo being on the inside back leg. A friend with a PB Bull Terrier had told me once why they tattoo the leg, and not the ear. Very sad indeed.
Old December 29th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Senior Contributor

:sad: Oh please say it isn't so, I was going to ask but my imagination told me that is just so sad :sad:
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay I am the dumb one here why do they tatoo the leg instead of the ear. I do not understand. If you do not want to post it on the board you can PM me. Thanks sorry I guess I am having a blonde moment.

Proud mommy to...
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:42 PM
<-----nut ball

yeah, I was wondering that too. Why is it bad to have a tattoo on the leg?
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

What Raingirl and Princess said...
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
A friend with a PB Bull Terrier had told me once why they tattoo the leg, and not the ear. Very sad indeed.
Ears are often cut off to remove tatoos, but only on dogs who are often cropped - not dogs like GSDs.

My pit bull is also tatooed on the inside of her thigh (not by me) - can't be removed that way although it could be altered.
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Why would they want to cut their ears off? I guess I am to naive. Thanks Lucky for the help but if you ocould explain this one thing. Thanks for the help.

Proud mommy to...
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesss04
Why would they want to cut their ears off? I guess I am to naive. Thanks Lucky for the help but if you ocould explain this one thing. Thanks for the help.
I'm assuming it is in case the dog is stolen for the purpose of dog fighting. It's like removing the VIN from a car, or filing the serial number on stolen property.
Old December 29th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

That is what I thoughtl. That is awful. Poor babies. People make me so SICK!

Proud mommy to...