Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 11th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Mahealani,They sound like a great organization
I've never paid less than $100 for even the most basic at my vet..like just a check-up.

Cindy,as far as I know,declawing still involves amputation,I don't think there is an easier method.
I believe the nail is actually a part of the first joint,someone correct me if I am wrong.
My old vet,would not even do it and I have my foundling Vinnie(my avatar)because his other potential owners were going to declaw him.I just could not let that happen..
Also,it's been outlawed in most western countries,even some states in the US,but not Canada:sad:
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Chico and Cindy, below is an entry from wikipedia regarding Onychectomy, or as we know it, declawing:

"Onychectomy is the act of surgically removing the claws, most often of a household cat, though occasionally of other animals such as circus lions or dancing bears. This process involves amputating the entire distal phalanx, or end bone, of the animal's toes, under anaesthesia, and is popularly known as declawing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychectomy

Many countries around the world have outlawed declawing as mutilation and abuse towards cats, which as you'll note, many of us here also subscribe to that belief. The AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) has also published a statement regarding declawing and the ethics, the link to which I've posted here:
http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/an.../declawing.asp

If you would like further information, please let me know I've done a lot of research regarding this particular issue (had a polydactyl kitty and an ex-fiancee who thought she *should* be declawed), and find it to be abhorrent and barbaric.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Tack skall du ha Jawert(thank you)I only know it as a very cruel procedure and if anyone finds it necessary to declaw,get a turtle,a fishtank or anything that does not come with claws.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inisfad View Post
I may make some enemies here, but I have to say that, unless a cat was really unhealthy to begin with (and then probably a spay at that time wouldn't be advisable anyway), I have never done any bloodwork prior to a spay or neuter.

Me either, unless the vet has reason to believe there is something wrong with the cat. Quite honestly, I wouldn't be able to afford to spay/neuter my own cats and ferals at $400 each. I guess in that case I would just have far fewer cats than the 5 I have now, and the ferals I feed would be allowed to breed rampantly all year long. Is that a better option than getting them fixed at a cheaper spay/neuter clinic with no bloodwork done? I don't think so. By the way, it is my own vet that runs the spay/neuter clinic at Vanier College and I trust her judgement 100%. If she doesn't feel the need for bloodwork, then neither do I.
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inisfad View Post
I may make some enemies here, but I have to say that, unless a cat was really unhealthy to begin with (and then probably a spay at that time wouldn't be advisable anyway), I have never done any bloodwork prior to a spay or neuter
My above opinion was based on the fact that the last dog I helped (Dobie Max)had kidney failure and who would know - he was a stray? I feel the vet should of advised me it would be better in this instance to get the blood work done as his age was also questionable. He never should of had to endure the surgery nor should he of died so tragically and painfully - 2 days later. This was a very painful lesson.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think I had bloodworks done on my cats either when they were neutered,but they were kittens and otherwise healthy.
Now,when my cats are older,whenever they need anasthesia,I usually have bloodwork done before,the same as would be done with me,should I need surgery.
With stray animals,it probably is needed,although shelters and rescuers are trying to keep the costs down,since there probably is not enough money available,nobody knows their over-all health,which GG sadly discovered:sad:
It seems to me though,bloodwork is pushed by the vet,I was told since Rocky is 10yrs(I thought he was 12 ) old and Chico 9yrs,they need bloodtests every year.
Old January 12th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Bloodtests provide info on bloodclotting times, liver, kidney, pancreas health, WBC can tell them if there is a current infection , some things can not be determined simply by a physical exam alone, some issues the vet can get around safely by using different combos of anethesia drugs, other issues may warrant antibiobics first and holding off on the surgery, other issues may require whole blood transfusions prior to the surgery taking place to get the animal through alive, animal do die in surgery that is the reason you are required to sign a release form prior to surgery absolving the vet from blame should your pet not survive.

With Maya she looks absolutely healthy she is playful and activel has a great shiny coat, the absolute picture of heath,her first physical was fine but at 2 years old big surprises were learned ,

but she has a blood clotting disorder, a factor in her blood that allows it to clot is barely there, which means she require transfusions to ensure clotting and healing will take place, she also suffers from hyperthermia, drugs have to be carefully chosen, she needs to be sedated and operated on right away do to stress disorder, a certain med needs to be on standby ready to inject immediately if she starts to crash during sugery, she would likely be referred to another clinic that has the equipment for laser surgery, throughout her entire surgery and recovery her temperature and respiratory must be closely monitered that means in recovery she cannot be left alone and just checked on from time to time, extra staff has to be brought to ensure her vitals are monitored 100% of the time of her stay.
Even though we know this today if she has surgery a month from know I still want another bloodtest then as well to check for any changes new problems that could cause problems.
If I had not done annual bloodwork and decided to forgo presurgery bloodwork, chances are she would not live thru the surgery.

I know there have been several posts here from people who have lost pets during routine surgeries a blood test is a lot cheaper than paying for a cremation.

As far as costs, a vet in the Toronto area has significantly higher operating cost, rents, mortgages and city taxes have to paid they often have more modern technologies compared to rural vets, I pay less I am in a small city taxes and property costs here are way lower than Toronto , here a person can buy a mansion for a million in the heart of Toronto you may be likely to find a fixer upper, so that difference get reflected in how much a vet charges

Another factor is the technologies the vet has in his practice, some offer laser surgeries and have their own ultra sound equipment, that equipment is very expensive to have but can make the difference in life and death in diagnosing in on the surgery table
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Last edited by OntarioGreys; January 12th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM

re: cat spaying

I'm sympathetic to "Quicksilver"'s dilemma about spaying. I adopted my cat from the H. Society in Jan., they mailed me a $150 spaying voucher, but I'm encountering the same problems.......cheapest I've found is $300 before taxes, bloodwork etc. I too have been on endless hold with Toronto Animal Services spaying service. My only suggestion is to do what I'm going to do - go down to Exhibition Place in person and talk to someone at A. Services face to face, politely of course. There is an epidemic of feral cats in Toronto right now and the city should be more on the ball with this service. I'm going to head down today, so if I find out anything I'll post. I also think the H. Society should provide a spay service themselves.......my cat was only there for a day before we adopted her, otherwise it would have been done by their vets. Now it's my problem. Seems almost like a case of feline services price fixing here in Toronto,as I've heard of much cheaper prices elsewhere.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:02 PM

Etobicoke Vetrinary Hospital charges $117&up for a spay/neuter. They are a small clinic and never very busy. You need only call about a week to let them prepare. I have taken my and my sister's cats to them and they have a small, friendly staff that will talk to you for as long as you need to feel comfortable.

http://www.infovet.ca/etobicokevet/s...5&itemId=2457&
Old April 27th, 2011, 07:39 AM

http://www.spayneuter.ontariospca.ca/
Old May 31st, 2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
If your willing to drive to Simcoe, Ontario the Queensway Animal Hospital only charges around $70.00 for a male. I was quoted $154.50 to neuter and declaw together!

Cindy

Here is the address and phone number to call...Hope this helps

415 Queensway West,
Simcoe, ON N3Y 2N4
Tel. : 519-428-2630
winston, declawing a cat should be illegal. they cut all the way down to the tendon, this cat will never defend itself, nor climb a tree.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:18 AM

In my opinion Spay/neuter is a political issue bacause of the huge number of stray and feral animals. The Hamilton high volume kill shelter or better animal control kills several thousands of unwanted cats each year despite their efforts to cooperate with rescue groups.
The animal control facility in London, ON euthanizes over 20 cats in a week (average). Despite their cooperation with anyone who wants to adopt a cat from them. These are only 2 little examples but the list could be endless.

It is a big shame that in the GTA the low cost high volume spay/neuter is not yet solved (I mean accessible for anyone). I am horrified that there is any veterinarian who bills around 300 CAD for a surgery which is so important to prevent animal suffering.
Again, in my opinion spay/neuter is NOT a surgery like any other but a POLITICAL and ETHICAL ISSUE!

That said, please take a look at the links below. Most of them are about a HUMANE, ETHICAL ANIMAL CONTROL in the Third (!!!) World.
Would you think that in this part of Argentina they are SO FAR AHEAD of Canada?
That they realized already what every human who loves pets are still dreaming of in the GTA?

Please read and SPREAD this information as this is REAL HELP and REAL HUMANE PET POPULATION CONTROL.
Maybe at some point the powerful veterinary associations of Canada get a feeling of shame and would be then more cooperative in preventing animal suffering.

http://www.canadianvoiceforanimals.o...ol_program.doc
(if the link does not work then please google: Municipality
of Almirante Brown Argentina Ethical Animal Control Program )

Here you can see how fast a spay surgery can be done:
http://theoregoncat.org/Spay___Neuter_NVJ0.html
That means if the vet is skilled and has bothered to learn this technique at all, that is. But I am afraid that many vets are not really interested in this as it is more convenient to operate in the old way and bill then 300 bucks...

As it goes, the Ethical Animal Control Program of Almirante Brown was challenged by the local veterinary association as then wanted more bucks for themselves... Here is the worldwide protest campaign... against the vet group who wanted the Ethical Animal Control Program to END.
(The protest was a success so the program could be continued.)
http://www.cvfaf-germany.org/index.p...hten&Itemid=50
For veterinarians there are detailed descriptions of these kind of surgeries below the protest campaign (please scroll down).

That is the state of the art humane & ethical animal control, not the thousands and thousands of euthanasia done in the GTA.....
Please SPREAD THE WORD.

Thanks
Tunde

P.s.: in Europa declawing is considered animal cruelty and is a crime. I am HORRIFIED that in Canada it can be legal. It is barbarism!!!
Even if this barbarism is very convenient for some pet owners and very profitable for veterinarians.