Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:52 PM

Continous licking

My mother in law, who is 85, has a cat that is about 5. A month ago, I took him to the vet for her because he had pulled all the fur off down his entire leg, which left red, inflamed skin. He was given a Depo shot, and a Dex shot, and was extremely lethargic after. There has been no improvement, and now the raw skin has traveled to his stomach. She feeds him Cat Chow (I know, its junk, but she won't change) but I doubt that could be causing it because he's been on it forever. I'm going to get him back to the vet this week, but would like to know if someone has had better luck with another med, so I could suggest it to the vet. He told her not to put anything on it, because he'll just lick it off.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:57 PM

I forgot to mention, he was checked for fleas, and has none/
Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
She feeds him Cat Chow (I know, its junk, but she won't change)
Well then, I guess she can keep making trip$ to the vet with the poor cat instead. And let him continue to suffer with a painful skin condition, along with whatever damage is being done on the inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
but I doubt that could be causing it because he's been on it forever.
Actually that makes it more likely that the food is playing a role then. Repeat and continuous exposure to such a poor quality food eventually wears down the body until it can no longer maintain an appearance of health. Please convince your mom to get him on to a better diet. If she won't do it for the sake of her cat, perhaps she'll do it to save money at the vets. How much did her last visit cost? How many cans of cat food would that have been worth?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

could your MIL be using a new cleaning product around the home? could it just now be a habit that her cat picked up? and again...maybe the cat needs more playtime....
Old October 3rd, 2011, 09:58 PM

The vet gave her Tresaderm to rub on the affected area, I guess the next step is a cone collar. He said chicken, fish, and grain are the foods that cats are most allergic to. I bought her cans of Friskies Beef, hoping that she can handle the 50 cents a can, and keep it up. I doubt it though.