Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Roll Over Dog Food

Does anyone have an opinion on this food? Here are the ingredients:

Beef: Liver, Lung, Heart & Kidney
Whole Wheat Flour
egg
sucrose
salts
postassium sorbate
whey protein
vitament supp. D3, B1, B2 B6 B12, C
Folic acid
Biotin
Choline
Trace minerals. Calcium, Manganese, Zinc, Iron, Copper
Sodium Nitrate (Preservative)

Thanks for your opinions!
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Doggie Wench

That sounds more like a treat than dog food . Is that exactly how the ingredients are listed? Beef: Liver, Lung, Heart & Kidney means there's only organs in the food and no real meat. There's sugar and salt listed as well; not something I'd want to feed our dogs I'm afraid.

Last edited by luckypenny; July 29th, 2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Yup, that's exactly how they're listed. We were going to add it to his kibble as a meat supplement. What type's of meat products are out there that have all the essential nutrients?
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Doggie Wench

What kind of kibble are you feeding your dog now? If it's a high quality one, he may not need any supplements at all. Or you can choose to add real meat to his meals.
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Currently he is eating Royal Canine Lab 30. I understand dry foods can have all the nutrients, but I want him to enjoy meat too. Maybe I'll find a good canned food for him to mix in with his Kibble. Pet nutrition is frustrating! More so than my own diet!
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Doggie Wench

Royale Canin would not be on my list of preferred dog foods, but if you're comfortable with it...

Rather than canned as a supplement, think of real meat. Here's something for you to consider. Here is some nutritional information for cooked chicken thigh (you'll find a more detailed analysis on this site: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/p...products/722/2 ):

Vitamins
Vitamin A
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)
Vitamin K
Thiamin
Riboflavin
Niacin
Vitamin B6
Folate
Vitamin B12
Pantothenic Acid
Choline
Betaine

Minerals
Calcium
Iron
Magnesium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sodium
Zinc
Copper
Manganese
Selenium

All these vitamins and minerals are found naturally in chicken, not added in as supplements and no artificial preservatives needed . Something you're not likely to find in any commercial dog food. Doesn't it make more sense to feed the real thing if you're looking to supplement?
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Molly's mama

Here is a good website full of information about all dog food brands. All of the foods are rated from one star to five star, and the ingredients are analyzed with pros and cons listed.
Here is a link to the food that your dog is on
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...uct=1528&cat=6
it is listed as a 2-star food and it says that there is insufficient meat content, and that it contains low quality grain and controversial fillers (eg; beet pulp)
maybe you should just switch dog foods?

Last edited by mollywog; July 29th, 2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:30 AM

We are aware of the poor write up on RC Lab 30, but it was recommended, and we decided to buy it before we knew about it's rating.

We are going to gradually switch to Innova dry food for his next bag which has a good review. Hopefully Solo takes well to it. Surprisingly it's also cheaper than RC which proves price isn't everything, and you DON'T always get what you pay for.

Thanks for the chicken recommendation, I will definitely consider it.
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Roll Over does make pizzle sticks (also known as bully sticks) that I give to Sola as a treat. They are about the same size as what you buy in specialty stores for $2.99 each, but RO has four in a package for $3.99. These seem to be fine and were recommended to me by a breeder/show dog owner.
Innova is a great food. I like any of the Natura brand stuff- I feed Evo to both the kitties and Sola.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." -Unknown

Mom to:
Sola: 18 month old black lab/malamute
Luna: 2 year old Siberian Husky (rescue)
Millie: 2.5 year old tabby (rescue)
Layla: ?? year old calico (rescue)

Former mom to (RIP):
Nicole: Maine Coon cat 1985-1999
Poncho: Degu
Bibi: Degu
Josette: St. Bernard, childhood pet
Old July 30th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the positive news. Sola is a cool name too!
Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:30 PM

It's a good training treat when you cut it into small pieces.
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I wouldn't feed my dog something with no fruit or veggies. Ditto on the salt/sugar comments. After the gluten toxic incident last year even flour doesn't thrill me too much.
I agree, if he needs more meat, give him meat. Dogs love it, oddly enough..lol.

-C
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:29 PM

I started introducing this to my dog over the summer with great results. Jagger has taken to the long, sausage-looking Roll Over food with noticable results.

First off, he is enthusiastic about the food....he drools from both sides of his mouth when I am preparing it.

Secondly, *I* have noticed that his coat, energy levels, and elimination have all improved since I switched him semi-regularly to Roll Over.

Thirdly, as esoteric as this may sound, I can tell the food is high quality by the *feel* of it. It reminds me of a Kelloggs Vector Bar or Protein Bar in texture and density.

Lastly, it's a lot more convenient than a raw meat diet, or other preperation-heavy diets, but still is a lot better for him than *any* commerical kibble. Dogs are *not* meant to eat kibble regularly, it's the equivilent of a human eating Pizza every day. Jagger loves Roll Over, and so do I!
Old October 19th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I used RollOver as a training aid many years ago. I would cut it up into tiny bits as reward pieces and placing pieces during agility training. But I found that my dogs both got the runs if they ate too much of it. I would not use it as a "food" group.
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I used RollOver as a training aid many years ago. I would cut it up into tiny bits as reward pieces and placing pieces during agility training. But I found that my dogs both got the runs if they ate too much of it. I would not use it as a "food" group.
Even though this is a very old topic, it's the same here. Bodhi loves it as a training treat, probably because it's also strongly scented, and the strong scent will break a focus that is inappropriate to the training and get her attention back to us. But she gets the runs if she gets too much of it, so we mix it with freeze-dried liver and Zukes in the treat bag, and then the liver and Zukes smell of the rollover stuff too.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I started introducing this to my dog over the summer with great results. Jagger has taken to the long, sausage-looking Roll Over food with noticable results.

First off, he is enthusiastic about the food....he drools from both sides of his mouth when I am preparing it.

Secondly, *I* have noticed that his coat, energy levels, and elimination have all improved since I switched him semi-regularly to Roll Over.

Thirdly, as esoteric as this may sound, I can tell the food is high quality by the *feel* of it. It reminds me of a Kelloggs Vector Bar or Protein Bar in texture and density.

Lastly, it's a lot more convenient than a raw meat diet, or other preperation-heavy diets, but still is a lot better for him than *any* commerical kibble. Dogs are *not* meant to eat kibble regularly, it's the equivilent of a human eating Pizza every day. Jagger loves Roll Over, and so do I!
Hi im new here and i just bought some rollover first time. how do you prepare this food do you bake it or just cut it up in to the dry food? or give it alone? what kind of dry food do you give your dogs? k thank you!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I found canned dog food that's 95 % meat content. Such as Wellness, I use it as a topper, it's expensive but it goes a long way. I will also add fresh cooked meat when I can.
Old August 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Like a lot of people we use Rollover as a training treat. Cut up the rolls into chunks and use them that way. I would not consider it a high quality dog food at all, but it is leagues ahead of Milkbones, Snausages, and other "treats". I try to buy the Chicken or Lamb since those is the protein in my dog's food.

If we go heavy on the training and she gets a lot of rollover, the evidence is in the backyard. However, I still think it is better to use this than crap treats...and my dog "thinks" it is a treat

PS: I tried some holistic wheat free version of the rollover type food...not rollover brand....bought it at Petsmart....it was horrid smelling and slimy. The Rollover brand is at least portable, easy to handle...and Canadian
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:57 PM
ww

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo-nicolas View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on this food? Here are the ingredients:

Beef: Liver, Lung, Heart & Kidney
Whole Wheat Flour
egg
sucrose
salts
postassium sorbate
whey protein
vitament supp. D3, B1, B2 B6 B12, C
Folic acid
Biotin
Choline
Trace minerals. Calcium, Manganese, Zinc, Iron, Copper
Sodium Nitrate (Preservative)

Thanks for your opinions!
Hi there I have had allot of people say its not good, but I have raised 4 poodles 2 on rollover turkey flavor, ( beef there eyes weeped, so I took them off it)1st dog was on dry developed diabetes, these last 3, lived until 12 and 14, , Lelo is happy, and all were happy, good body weight, hard on the teeth thought u need to brush them
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:00 PM
ww

Wink Roll over doesn't need to be cooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleysMama View Post

Hi im new here and i just bought some rollover first time. how do you prepare this food do you bake it or just cut it up in to the dry food? or give it alone? what kind of dry food do you give your dogs? k thank you!
Hello, Rollover doesn't need to be cooked, just cut and serve. You want the product the feel soft in your hand, not hard, hard it's old. You can freeze it